Commonwealth Games 2022

Is this still do-able for the Team England to top the Medal Table?

Screenshot_20220805-115803_Chrome.jpg

Just watched the coverage of Micky Yule (ex RE) getting bronze in para weight lifting,

Micky Yule is an absolutely top bloke, you’ll struggle to meet a nicer person.

You say that, but have the tranny community come out in protest about the 'non-inclusive' games?

I’m surprised we haven’t seen transgender protests at these games, especially since several sports governing bodies have denied entry to them.

Maybe there have been protests, but the media has given them a stiff ignoring.

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
I’m surprised we haven’t seen transgender protests at these games, especially since several sports governing bodies have denied entry to them.

Maybe there have been protests, but the media has given them a stiff ignoring.
Maybe, given many of the competing nations' less-than-accomodating attitude to LGBTQXYZ folk, any potential protestors realise they'd be on a hiding to nothing.

Cindy Sember representing England with a yank accent like that. WTF

British but born and raised in the US. Unlike her sister (Tiff Porter, who also runs for GB) didn’t represent US and was a bit mystified when her ambition to represent what she’d always considered her home country (despite her accent and not living here) led to her being labelled a ‘plastic Brit’.

IIRC, her mum is British and her Dad is Anglo-Nigerian - so her order of preference for international representation was UK (heritage); Nigeria (paternal heritage); US (place of birth & residence).

Glad to see the BBC Diversity on the commentators last night 3 women, 1 bloke and he was a Yank.

Just caught a couple of mins of the mens springboard diving. Sri Lankan dude who is last on the standings, just nailed a massive belly flop. Even the commentators are laughing, but the wife is calling me a horrible cnut for joining in.

Morning @colinmc400,
Not one of these then. This has happened a few times before IIRC but possibly not Sri-Lankans.
From today's local 'comic'.
20220805_144341.jpg

Morning @CaptainRidiculous,
I think Stevie Wonder could've seen this coming(and at every other occasion it's happened). Shame the organisers didn't.
Part of my sister's job at at UK university is to keep tabs on the overseas students here on student visas and report to the Home Office any that go missing. The university is responsible for them and loses funding if they stray from their lectures to, say, their uncle's taxi business. I would be surprised if the Games committee does not have similar obligations.

Screenshot_20220805-154030_Chrome.jpg
Did I not predict this?
You think that's bad. In 2007 the UK hosted the World Scouts Jamboree, 42,000 of them from all around the world. Only about 30,000 of them went back, a good few thousand never turned up, just got into the UK and went fcuking AWOL.

Bob A Job Week my Arrse.

Can anyone explain to me why it is Scotland, Wales, Australia etc etc but Team England?
I think you’re imagining things. I’m watching the men’s beach volleyball right now, and not once has either the BBC commentator or the on-site commentator called them “team England”.

Missed the first few days.
Loving the diving and the women's penalty shoot out in the hockey.
The crowds are excellent and supporting all the home nations.
Eilish McColgan's win last night was brilliant, especially in front of her mum.
The Scottish women's para bowls team sum up the games to me. I think one of the ladies is 72! Her highlight after every round was getting a cuddle from her grandson. Brilliant.

Edited to add.
Denise Lewis is/was/and always will be gorgeous.

Last edited: