Commonwealth Games 2022

BBC wokewash irritating but can blank that and it is generally a very positive event

Integration of the Para sports seems to be working particularly well.

That would liven things up wouldn’t it?

“Here we go to the third round of the Trainasium assault course heats, followed by the finals of the mens stretcher race”

CaptainRidiculous

On ROPS
On ROPs
4025.jpg

Great pic.
watched the highlights while waiting for JnrR to finish at college yesterday, in the pub.
Also delighted for Breen, who was a sheer wonder to watch

One of the highlights for me was the women’s para 100m, with a shock victory for a Olivia Breen.

View attachment 682892

She was so happy afterwards, and during the ceremony. Contrasting sharply with the expected winner, world record holder Sophie Hahn, who looked like a child who’d had her food taken away. The compare and contrast was delightful!

That’ll have been in part because of Miss Breen’s father beaming away in the crowd. He’s spent years trying to get Hahn disqualified from competing, claiming that she isn’t as disabled as required for the Para-athletics category the two women compete in, and came to be seen by many in Para-athletics as trying to force Hahn out not on grounds of principle but on grounds of removing his daughter’s only real rival. Whether fair or not, his behaviour has been claimed by some to be verging on harassment such was the vigour with which he sought to get Hahn removed; it was pretty unpleasant not that long ago.

I imagine the thought of the delight of the man who tried to get her banned so that his daughter could win (which is her and Hahn’s supporters’ perception) will have had an effect on her emotions when on the podium…

colinmc400

War Hero
Just caught a couple of mins of the mens springboard diving. Sri Lankan dude who is last on the standings, just nailed a massive belly flop. Even the commentators are laughing, but the wife is calling me a horrible cnut for joining in.

philc

LE
As others have pointed out the mixing of Para and Ablebodied is working and I just wish English Football and Rugby adopted the other anthem, which I can’t spell. Begins with J

Just watching the highlights of the para bench-pressing. Micky Yule ex SSgt RE, what a cracking performance by Yule. Bit misty eyed in the studio JJ but big up to the sweaties.

Last edited:

Alamo

LE
Just watched the coverage of Micky Yule (ex RE) getting bronze in para weight lifting, and JJ Chalmers, the RM who was injured in Afghanistan, doing the coverage. Absolutely brilliant. Best thing Ive seen on the BBC in years.

One of the highlights for me was the women’s para 100m, with a shock victory for a Olivia Breen.

View attachment 682892

She was so happy afterwards, and during the ceremony. Contrasting sharply with the expected winner, world record holder Sophie Hahn, who looked like a child who’d had her food taken away. The compare and contrast was delightful!
It was a beautiful thing to see. And watching her reaction on the Medal Ceremony was the moment of the Games so far for me.

As others have pointed out the mixing of Para and Ablebodied is working and I just wish English Football and Rugby adopted the other anthem, which I can’t spell. Begins with J
Jersulem...

Looking forward to the Women's 100m Hair and Make Up Finals later today.

Cindy Sember representing England with a yank accent like that. WTF