Commonwealth Games 2022

A quick search does not readily reveal a Commonwealth Games thread……. so here goes:

Not something I’d usually bother with or pay any attention to, however, the son of an old old friend has just done rather well in the Triathlon so I’m now half tuned in. And, as luck would have it, Qm Minor is watching it on the telly box as we speak - they’ve just shown a medal presentation for something or other and England got a gold & a silver in whatever it was. As the flags were raised, they played Jerusalem instead of God Save The Queen! How long has that been a thing?

A quick search does not readily reveal a Commonwealth Games thread……. so here goes:

Not something I’d usually bother with or pay any attention to, however, the son of an old old friend has just done rather well in the Triathlon so I’m now half tuned in. And, as luck would have it, Qm Minor is watching it on the telly box as we speak - they’ve just shown a medal presentation for something or other and England got a gold & a silver in whatever it was. As the flags were raised, they played Jerusalem instead of God Save The Queen! How long has that been a thing?
Officially God Save the Queen is the UK anthem not England's, so it comes down to individual choice of the sports. Football and Rugby Union sides choose to use God Save the Queen.

Jurusalem came top of a poll in 2010 so that's what is used.

Dunno what they play if someone from the Isle of Man, Guernsey or Jersey wins a gold..

ETA well what diya know... according to YouTube there's a national anthem for those islands

Morning All,
CG fun fact.

Screenshot_20220731-174308_DuckDuckGo.jpg

E2a: IIRC, Australia has the highest medal tally.

Big crash at the Velodrome, one of the riders and his bike ended up in the crowd, several injuries.

Was that the son of a fairly recently retired (ex Sapper) 2 star who finished Top 20 in the Mens event yesterday?
Great effort.

Was that the son of a fairly recently retired (ex Sapper) 2 star who finished Top 20 in the Mens event yesterday?
Great effort.
May well have been, never met the fellow….but I knew (NOT in a Biblical sense) his Mum when we were all Pad Brats in Belgium together in what seems a life time ago now.

I am boycotting watching it because of the decision to drop target shooting. The committee who decided this should volunteer to become targets the next time they are held. I also propose we have a new sport to be included……counting the times the BBC mention inclusivity and diversity!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I am boycotting watching it because of the decision to drop target shooting. The committee who decided this should volunteer to become targets the next time they are held. I also propose we have a new sport to be included……counting the times the BBC mention inclusivity and diversity!
I am getting more and more pissed off with the commentary from the BBC as it seems that the rest of the Commonwealth, especially the other home nations, are only there to accompany England, who if they don't win seem to have allowed the colonials an occasional medal! The men's gymnastics today was good to watch, if the commentary was switched off. England got Gold and Silver which was fair enough, if you agreed with the scoring, but Scotland came fifth which, according to the BBC commentator, Matt Baker, "is good for the British team"!

Big crash at the Velodrome, one of the riders and his bike ended up in the crowd, several injuries.
I was in the velodrome at the time, it looked horrific. Fortunately the English rider who landed in the crowd is not too badly injured. At the time it looked really serious. The injuries to the spectators were also not serious enough to require hospital treatment, so really good luck all round.

I’m just loving the sheer variety of Sport on offer!
1534AB8B-C58D-4573-8F73-5DC81C8797AE.jpeg

Last edited: