Commonwealth application rejected

happy_as

Swinger
Hi all,

Unfortunately I made an application recently and it was rejected right after I sent in my medical questionnaire. I called up to ask why and recruiting said that it wasn't to do with medical but they couldn't find the reason why, just that my application had been binned. I wanted to appeal but I was told in the email I can't, are there any other options to enquire as to the reason why my application didn't go through?

This is what the email read:

After full consideration, it is regretted that your application does not at this time meet the current needs of the Army to fill specific roles.

It is the policy of all three Services and other Government departments to maintain the right of any employer to accept or reject any persons for employment without discussing or even disclosing reasons, as this is the only practical ways in dealing with the vast number of applications you therefore do not have any ‘Right of Appeal’.

Thanks for any replies.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
You mention in the title that this is a commonwealth application. I know that the rules have changed recently. Have you checked that you are within the rules?

happy_as

Swinger
The rules changed in July 2013, then in May 2016 they changed the rules again so that, as according to the website you posted "There has been a change to the rules for people joining from across the Commonwealth. We now have a selection of Army roles, that you don't need to meet the residency requirements for."

I applied for one of the select roles, when I called up recruiting they stated that they were taking 400 Commonwealth applicants this year.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Maybe the 400 has been exceeded? Still seems pretty unnecessarily rude to not give a reasonable reply to why not.... Oh and no appeal, also rude IMVHO...

The_Duke

LE
Maybe the 400 has been exceeded? Still seems pretty unnecessarily rude to not give a reasonable reply to why not.... Oh and no appeal, also rude IMVHO...
Why allow an appeal if it isn't going to change anything? It raises false hope in the applicant and chews up manpower for no reason.

Do what any right-minded chip-on-the-shoulder ethnic would do in the UK? Ask "Iz it coz I iz black" (or other colour).

Or are you white Commonwealth, which might be the problem ?

Not intended as sarcasm, but far too many play the race card when it suits and that makes it harder for genuine cases that do need help.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
Why allow an appeal if it isn't going to change anything? It raises false hope in the applicant and chews up manpower for no reason.
Well in that case I would have thought a reasonable,polite and full explanation for rejection would be appropriate?

Do what any right-minded chip-on-the-shoulder ethnic would do in the UK? Ask "Iz it coz I iz black" (or other colour).

Not intended as sarcasm, but far too many play the race card when it suits and that makes it harder for genuine cases that do need help
After the last couple of claims of £200 Grand for cold weather injuries you may have a point there.

Last edited:
Why not try your local Reserves unit for now?

Considering your profiles age is at "30" it is rather borderline but the Reserves is much more welcoming especially with your civilian skills

Last edited:

happy_as

Swinger
That's what I thought, recruiters told me that there had been a large amount of Commonwealth applications. Still, would be nice to get a confirmation.

Not intended as sarcasm, but far too many play the race card when it suits and that makes it harder for genuine cases that do need help.
Mixed race from a country where the majority is ethnic white.

Why not try your local Reserves unit for now?

Considering your profiles age is at "30" it is rather borderline but the Reserves is much more welcoming especially with your civilian skills
I'm younger than 30, but yes I'm considering reserves/full-time in my home country, or travelling to the UK and residing for 5 years to get residency.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

That's what I thought, recruiters told me that there had been a large amount of Commonwealth applications. Still, would be nice to get a confirmation.

Mixed race from a country where the majority is ethnic white.

I'm younger than 30, but yes I'm considering reserves/full-time in my home country, or travelling to the UK and residing for 5 years to get residency.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
I actually know someone who is my best friend who was from Mauritius and served in the QARANC and on Herrick and eventually left, he did acquire citizenship

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
As opposed to an imaginary best friend ?

Jexmiester

Swinger
How far did you application go? I just sent my good conduct record in and I'm waiting out for my csm to call me, I am too from a commonwealth country. As far as I'm concerened I'm still in the pipeline, from someone I know in recruiting it can take a year for us to be called over.

happy_as

Swinger
How far did you application go? I just sent my good conduct record in and I'm waiting out for my csm to call me, I am too from a commonwealth country. As far as I'm concerened I'm still in the pipeline, from someone I know in recruiting it can take a year for us to be called over.
I got to the initial medical questionnaire, so not very far. You sound like you're well through to almost the end, good luck. Do you have a previous service record?

I actually know someone who is my best friend who was from Mauritius and served in the QARANC and on Herrick and eventually left, he did acquire citizenship
Did you mean "know" in a biblical sense?

Jexmiester

Swinger
Yeah I suspect in a couple months the most, not very sure! Thank you very much.
Yes I have but they don't know any details just that I served.

Sorry the UK Government and Home Office is after your money in the name of recruitment from Commonwealth.
I have seen two cases from Commonwealth apply for Visas to attend Army Development and Selection Centre but were refused Visas on grounds that they have no job and no savings in their home country and the Home Office is not Convinced that if they are not selected they will not leave the Uk.Who the **** will leave a good job in his country to join the army here in the Uk.

Who can help tell them the Uk is not as great as they have been made to belief.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Sorry the UK Government and Home Office is after your money in the name of recruitment from Commonwealth.
I have seen two cases from Commonwealth apply for Visas to attend Army Development and Selection Centre but were refused Visas on grounds that they have no job and no savings in their home country and the Home Office is not Convinced that if they are not selected they will not leave the Uk.Who the **** will leave a good job in his country to join the army here in the Uk.

So you didn't make the grade then ?

It's cos you is black, innit.

It's a case by case basis, maybe you were one of them?

Latest Threads