Commonwealth Application Help


I am a commonwealth citizen currently studying for a degree in the UK. I am in the midst of applying to join the British Army but am stuck in a rut at the moment. I have some questions about completing the application form that I hope will be answered here.

First, the issue of the letter of service liability.

Clause 18 of the Information Booklet for Overseas Potential Soldier Entry (henceforth to be referred to as 'the booklet') states that:

Certain governments require you to obtain a letter stating that you have no service liability, or national service liability. You should confirm this with the British High Commission...or your Government's Department of Foreign Affairs.
I appear to need to provide this letter together with my application. Specifically, what form should this letter take? What does it need to contain? Now, where I am from, we have national service liability. This takes the form of a few years full time service (which I have completed), followed by a couple of weeks of training over the next decade. I am in a catch 22 situation here:

The british Army requires a letter stating that I have no service liablity. But until I am confirmed a place in the British Army, I cannot apply to be exempt from service.

Can anyone offer me some advice as to how to proceed?

Firstly it depends what your nationality is.

Most Commonwealth High Commisions in the UK provide these letters/Forms. Only in certain circumstances would the letter/form need to come from the actual country from where you are from.

Not all commomwealth citizens require non service liability (back to my first point)

You do not need to be accepted in to the British Army to get the non-service liability, complete opposite infact, if it is required from your country then you need that to join the Army.

Your recruiter should be in the position to give this guidence. Unless your are applying through an overseas cell, then they should advise you.

If you have served in your homelands forces this does not restrict you from obtaining the form/letter if you are completley free from that force.

PM me if you have any more questions!

Similar threads

Latest Threads