Commons battle looms on EU treaty

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ukdaytona, Oct 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gordon Brown faces a battle to get the EU treaty through Parliament after it was agreed by EU leaders in Lisbon.
    The prime minister ruled out a referendum saying he had already "safeguarded the national interest" with "red line" opt-outs in key areas.

But Tory leader David Cameron accused him of treating Britons "like fools" and pledged to fight for a referendum when MPs debate ratification next year.

3 Different views..... have we been sold down the river again or is it a good thing for the UK

All hail our new leadership from Europe......
  2. I'm a big enemy of globalisation and centralisation; any power taken from Westminster and given to some blokes in Brussels, who have no idea what is/is not in Britain's interests, and who aren't elected by Britons, is too much power. Surely that's leaning towards dictatorship??

I'm not a conservative, but I've got to agree with Cameron on this one. However, I think he's just saying this to create an argument with Brown and make him look weak and stupid - it's all he's been trying to do since he got into office. Bl00dy politicans!