common sense making a comeback?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by maguire, Nov 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

http://www.birminghampost.net/news/west-midlands-news/2009/11/03/judge-says-birmingham-city-council-does-not-have-to-translate-letters-65233-25075786/

'The country’s top judges have backed Birmingham City Council’s decision not to translate letters sent to people whom it knows cannot speak English....

....Lord Justice May found that Mr Mohammed had been “properly informed” by the council as set out in the 1996 Housing Act. While a local authority was required to make sure letters it sent were understandable, it did not have a duty to make sure recipients could speak English.

At no stage had Mr Mohammed asked for help although he had previously used the local authority’s translation services.'

h/t to Constantly Furious -

http://constantlyfurious.blogspot.com/2009/11/outbreak-of-common-sense.html

2. I doubt it will last. The Judge will probably be sacked for what he did.

3. If you come to ENGLAND, learn to speak ENGLISH…

If you can't be bothered to learn and speak ENGLISH, fuvckoffski to where they speak your preferred gibberish…

Simples

4. Every letter sent by Birmingham City Council has with it a sheet which states,

"This is important. If you do not understand this document then please ask a friend or relative, who speaks English, to contact your local neighbourhood office or housing team on your behalf. We will then arrange for an interpreter to meet with you."

This is followed by, i assume, the same message in Bengali, Chinese, Farsi, French, Kurdish, Polish, Punjabi, Pushto, Somali and Urdu.

How many more feckin languages does this tw@t want.

5. Carefull gents not to let this get out of hand. Judge has made a decision.

Remember that Birmingham has a very large mulitcultural society, and most people would find themself in a minority in most areas. It is too late now to get annoied about people not speaking English. There are so many different races / religions in Britian it would be like a crusade if we tried to teach them all English.

If immigration is seen to be a problem, turn your eyes to people that have already been living here for a number of years. Some of these familys dont teach children English, even though they are English by birth.

I agree that anyone visiting or intending on living in a foreign country should know enough of a language to get by. I personally had a rough time doing my ski instructors course in France knowing only basic French.

6. Common Sense and the law? - NEVER

We all know that an appeal will go in regarding the infringement Mr Mohammed's human rights or that he was descriminated against because he was muslim. What next pikies not being able to set up camp anywhere they want?- I ask you.

7. I'd vote for this judge!

8. Sorry should have used the translation services can't expect all of councils/gov departments to know you don't speak english.

9. Common sense should have prevailed before this even got to court.

No doubt English speaking tax payers paid all the court costs.

10. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

A council spokeswoman said: “We are pleased with the Court of Appeal’s ruling, which acknowledged that Birmingham City Council made available adequate translating services for Mr Mohammed. This is an important point of law for all local authorities in England.”

I'd like to know why Birmingham City Council or any other taxpayer funded organization is wasting money on translation services.

The problem with all the translation services is that it lets people off from having to bother to learn English. This then isolates them from wider society reinforcing their disconnect with that society. Its really quite a nasty policy.

11. B*ll*cks if I took the trouble to learn enough Thai to get me by for my 9 week stay last year, immigrants who live here can learn English or else f**k off elsewere.

:pissedoff:

12. Southern or northern Thai?

13. No it isn't. It is bloody stupid to pander to people not learning the language. FFS we are just wasting money in providing translation services. In the long term it is money spent to make a situation worse.

14. I presume it was a council house.How did he get it in the first place with no English?

15. Sorry to burst your bubble, due to living abroad my DSS needs documents from your DSS, and vice versa, the medical documents have to be transliterated, hence the need