Common Misconceptions

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by crabby, Apr 12, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What do you reckon are the common misconceptions about the British Army?

Found this one on bbc earlier: "If any event is guaranteed to be punctual, it's one organised by the British Army" bbc

If needed this can be moved to the NAAFI :D

2. msr

msr LE

"To run as smoothly as a military operation"

msr

3. Just tell the CO the truth son and you'll be alright.

4. That it beats;

Recruits,
    Detainies,
    The RN rugby team.

5. well i remember one person i met being absolutely amazed that soldiers got paid. she thought that we just lived for free, with food and accommodation provided.

6. Another misconception from numerous civilians I have spoken to is that we do not pay tax. I wish that were true, it may work wonders for retention and recruiting.

7. Getting a new boss (ex union leader type, thick but cunning with an eye for any opportunity) who made the remark that I was in the Army (TA actually) and therefore only good for taking orders. Oh how I laughed when he got sacked.

8. "I didn't know that soldiers are allowed to vote."

genuine quote, from someone in the media.

9. Don't pay tax. Don't pay rent. Don't pay polltax, TV licence, NI and get paid a big enough pension to not have to work when you finish your time.

Oh and we are all mindless robot baby killers. (That one might be true though :) )

10. That they will allow a serving Royal to go to a war zone

11. Well we allowed Edward III in 1346 and Henry V in 1415, to name but two.

12. The last member of the Royal Family to be KIA was (I think) the Duke of Kent c1942. He would have been the father of the present duke.

13. :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Prince Andrew was in the Falklands War.

14. Even more shocking I have heard this from a soldier who joined at 17 and no one bothered to tell him till I happened to bring it up 6 years later!

15. A lot of the pople I come across are surprised to find that war actually has rules...