Common Misconceptions

What do you reckon are the common misconceptions about the British Army?

Found this one on bbc earlier: "If any event is guaranteed to be punctual, it's one organised by the British Army" bbc

If needed this can be moved to the NAAFI :D

"To run as smoothly as a military operation"

msr

well i remember one person i met being absolutely amazed that soldiers got paid. she thought that we just lived for free, with food and accommodation provided.

Another misconception from numerous civilians I have spoken to is that we do not pay tax. I wish that were true, it may work wonders for retention and recruiting.

Getting a new boss (ex union leader type, thick but cunning with an eye for any opportunity) who made the remark that I was in the Army (TA actually) and therefore only good for taking orders. Oh how I laughed when he got sacked.

Don't pay tax. Don't pay rent. Don't pay polltax, TV licence, NI and get paid a big enough pension to not have to work when you finish your time.

Oh and we are all mindless robot baby killers. (That one might be true though :) )

frenchperson said:
That they will allow a serving Royal to go to a war zone
Well we allowed Edward III in 1346 and Henry V in 1415, to name but two.

The last member of the Royal Family to be KIA was (I think) the Duke of Kent c1942. He would have been the father of the present duke.

hackle said:
"I didn't know that soldiers are allowed to vote."

genuine quote, from someone in the media.
Even more shocking I have heard this from a soldier who joined at 17 and no one bothered to tell him till I happened to bring it up 6 years later!

"Oh! your a soldier, so you live in a tent then."

Trouble is I couldn't make my mind up whether she was genuinely thick or just taking the pi55.

Zippy483

AbsoluteJEM said:
hackle said:

Even more shocking I have heard this from a soldier who joined at 17 and no one bothered to tell him till I happened to bring it up 6 years later!
Well, with a bit of help from OUR CAMPAIGN everyone has got the message now ... or have they?

Image courtesy Cpl_ripper, and The Labour Party (1945)

hackle said:
AbsoluteJEM said:
hackle said:

Well, with a bit of help from OUR CAMPAIGN everyone has got the message now ... or have they?

Image courtesy Cpl_ripper, and The Labour Party (1945)
Hackle, you're doing a fine job! Have just had a quick look at your web page.

I brought up this precise problem with another soldier who, although she knew she was entitled to vote, genuinely didn't think soldiers should and didn't herself as she believed that by 'politicising' herself she might compromise her ability to do her job.

I guess the Kendall-Smith case might illustrate this as he took it upon himself to decide that the war was illegal. I have always voted myself and firmly believe soldiers should be sufficiently educated so that they know not only that they are entitled to vote, but why they should use their vote.

Am not aware of how things stand at ATRs, AFC or Welbeck etc but hope that informing young soldiers about this stuff is on a syllabus somewhere. Surely it's a bit late including it in the CML courses if indeed it is included. (am not sure!)

After BATUS three of us buggered off to Montana, bypassing Great Falls which was like the NAAFI. Ended up in Helena, nice place, found a pub, lots of green, fcuk an Irish pub and not like the one you get in Croydon which is as Irish as Chaz and Dave. Had a beer and you could cut the tension and the hatred with a knife and then somebody asked what we were. Two Air Techs and one Avionics Tech was what we were but they thought we were 'Airborne'. Still tension and hatred but walk to bar gap opens, walk from bar gap shuts, lots of soft whispering. Went to bog, urinal cleared as if by magic. Drank up and buggered off and laughed at a very handy misconception.