Commitment Bonus

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by wee_jock, Jul 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all.

I have a question regarding the current commitment bonus, which is eligible for people whose reckonable service started after the 2 Apr 05. I am on this commitment bonus scheme and I am coming up to my 5 year point. I planned to wait until my 8 year point and get the £15,000 bonus, however with the current financial crisis and cuts across the board, including the defence budget, does anyone know what my rights are; can the Army just scrap this scheme whenever they choose and what would be my rights be if they did?

Obviously we are nearly at full manning and my trade is not a pinch point trade. My thinking is that I should take the 5 year money and watch out until my 8 year point and then take the bonus then if it is still in force.

Any advise is welcomed.

Cheers

wee_jock

2. Be thankful if you get anything. The way it's going, those that have passed 10 years and beyond are the ones that should be getting a commitment bonus, as they are the ones that need retaining (ie experienced) and the ones that are now considering that the 'pension trap' isnt the carrot it once was.

And yes, if you get it, great. If you dont, tough. Shit happens.

3. Thanks for the reply, I think you have missed my point though. I am eligible for it at the present time. My question relates to what would happen if they decided to scrap the commitment bonus now that they are nearly fully manned. Could they scrap it whenever they choose and I would then be entitled to nothing? Or should I just jump on it now and claim my 5 year money.

Here is an explanation of the current commitment bonus scheme Here

4. Ive not missed the point, if you can get it now do it. You are not guaranteed anything in current times!

Ask those that will be recieving brown letters in current weeks, ask all of us when our pension scheme changes for the worst in the coming years - times change and the only thing for certain at the moment in the army is you will do a tour of Afghan in the next 4 years or so.

The army bonus scheme is a retentive issue, as you point at we are near / at full manning, ergo why retain?

I know that those that sign of in current overmanned trades can technically be 1 UK CIV DIV within three months, so read into that what you will.

5. Well thats just your opinion. Yes people over 10 years do need retaining but so do people under 10 years. And its far easier for people under 10 years to leave. Hence the Bonus. You just sound bitter that you never got it.

6. boohoo, im a grumpy old sweat that doesnt get a bonus waaaaaaaah put teddy in corner.... nonce

7. Being passed the ten year point has bugger all to do with it too, they could have sat in the naafi for ten years and not seen an OP tour.

8. I have no idea but I took the 4 year money and saved the £7500 for the 8 year point. It will be interesting to see what the official response to this is.

If you get no joy through official channels, then try soldier mag. That will force someone to commit to a decision on paper.

9. I am sure the kunt got plenty of other benefits too back in the days before 2 simultaneous High Intensity Conflicts.

10. No. You're retarded. Now fuck off and learn how to spell before posting on ARRSE. We don't do text speak you little chav cunt.

11. I speak text speak, as does everyone of my generation. It's not chav, it's the height of efficiency. Cling on to your grammatical rules if you want grandad but u will nvr b3 l33t, u r failz cuz we are own all ur bases. lolz.

Article in PC Pro cited Microsoft survey which proved that children nowadays can type faster on a T9 text keypad than a QWERTY keyboard. Over 1 billion text messages sent a day so pipe the fuck down about peoples spelling.

Back on thread -

The bonus is to make sure you commit for another 12 months (according to the official DIN) so technically it can be withdrawn as Dingerr points out below. The secondary carrot is obviously getting you up to the 8 year point to commit for another 12 months but that is not a contract now is it? :D

12. Wee_jock, The answer is we don't know what the future holds. Even when I had balls they were not crystal.

You have a decision to make, are you a gambling man? Do you risk the 5yr money for a bigger prize at the 8yr point? Only you can decide.

As for your rights..... ha, ha, ha, ha. The money is a gift that requires a return of service, it can be withdrawn at any time.

However, the Armed Forces are usually pretty good at honouring their policies. If it were me though, I'd take the money, a bird in the hand and all that.....

13. Volume, in this context, does not equal efficiency, unless you mean efficient handling and recycling of nonsense. And of course efficient transfer of cash from idiots to shareholders.

14. Text speak is fine when texting. It's not welcome on ARRSE, you are posting not texting, if you can't tell or adjust to the difference then you are truly too thick to serve. Nor is it welcome in the Armed Forces, it is a sign of illiteracy. You would understand this if you were serving.

15. You have been pwnd by REMF. See highlight in red. Want to tell us what the fuck that means grammar Nazi?

And I am serving cunty chops.

[​IMG]

LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ LOLZ