Commissions Per Intake

Anyone have any idea of a rough average of officer commissions that the Rifles, Paras and Light Dragoons will offer per Sandhurst intake?

Cheers in advance

It genuinely depends on your intake. Both in the quality of candidates and when in the Commissioning Year you attend.

May intake commission in April, first lot of that year so all regiments have the maximum number of commissions to offer.
Sept have more DTUS/Sponsored cadets who take up a chunk of those regiments.
January commission last of the year, in December so have what is left. Typically have less Infantry spots than the other intakes.

Cap badges may well already have contact with candidates before they attend RMAS, even if they haven't made them Confirmed Cadets, as such some places may unofficially already have gone before you even turn up on Ironing Board Sunday.

In general, Paras take 1-3, LDs around 1-2, Rifles more like 4-8.

LD (like many RAC cap-badges) are very likely to offer confirmed cadetships. So even if your intake has space you may find it already taken.
Get yourself on a fam visit soonest if you want to compete for this.

This is based on personal experience. LD are my local RAC Regiment, my intake had a confirmed cadet taking up the only space (this was over 10 years ago though).

Last edited:
Any of these responses from RMAS or ARTD, or Divisional/Regimental HQs?

Or just 'opinion'?

Just sayin'

Opinion.
Admittedly opinion based on my own experiences, and friends.
So that covers people commissioning 2008 until those still at The Factory, and some who are yet to start.

LD (like many RAC cap-badges) are very likely to offer confirmed cadetships. So even if your intake has space you may find it already taken.
Get yourself on a fam visit soonest if you want to compete for this.

This is based on personal experience. LD are my local RAC Regiment, my intake had a confirmed cadet (this was over 10 years ago though).
I know of confirmed cadets going Infantry (1) and RAC (2) just for balance in one intake within the last 2 years.

I know of confirmed cadets going Infantry (1) and RAC (2) just for balance in one intake within the last 2 years.
Agreed, and my lot have started offering them again in the last couple of years.

To the OP, I'd get yourself seen by your choices soonest if you're worried that they might offer all their places out before RMAS.

Normally about 3-4 officers commissioned per RAC regiment/Inf Bn, per year. Therefore an average of 1 per term, per RAC regiment and probably about 5 or 6 for the RIFLES (to spread across all 5 Bns). However, there is nothing to stop a regiment offering all of its spaces for the year to OCdts in a single intake, leaving none for the rest of the year.

I think that the annual allocations run according to the academic year, therefore (in theory) there should be more spaces available to those commissioning from a September intake, but in reality they probably get balanced out.

It is probably still true to say that most officers commissioning into RAC regiments have at least visited their regiments prior to going to Sandhurst and therefore are sure that they like the regiment and the more importantly that their regiment likes them and wants them (provided they do well at Sandhurst of course). I think that most RAC regiments would see it as pretty risky to take an officer without seeing them for visit long enough to really get the measure of them beyond what is in their report from Sandhurst (i.e. are they right for the soldiers, the role and the regiment as a whole and will they enjoy serving and excel in that regiment).

To anyone who aspires to commission into the RAC, I would strongly recommend that they engage early and visit their chosen regiment at least once before Sandhurst. Most potential RAC officers do not have strong ties to their chosen regiments nowadays, so most either go where their friends are going or get pushed towards a particular regiment (or role) after attending a generic RAC potential officers' visit at Bovington.

I think that the annual allocations run according to the academic year, therefore (in theory) there should be more spaces available to those commissioning from a September intake

They run on the actual year calendar, so max places are for May intake who Commission first. January intake commission in Dec have only whatever places have been left after the other two intakes have gone through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They run on the actual year calendar, so max places are for May intake who Commission first. January intake commission in Dec have only whatever places have been left after the other two intakes have gone through.

I stand corrected.

Have the Light Dragoons started offering Commissions to female candidates yet?
LD is now effectively open to females, so they may well have. There is nothing to stop them, but they may be still waiting for the right ones to come along.

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Have the Light Dragoons started offering Commissions to female candidates yet?
Unless there have been some very ill advised transfers, the only RAC regiment to accept a female so far is the RTR.

Unless there have been some very ill advised transfers, the only RAC regiment to accept a female so far is the RTR.
I know someone who has been accepted to be an OC (or whatever it's called) in the LD. Not convinced it's the best move career wise but she may like the ide ma of being the first

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I know someone who has been accepted to be an OC (or whatever it's called) in the LD. Not convinced it's the best move career wise but she may like the ide ma of being the first
Well that is a f*cking stupid move by both her and LD.