Commissioning whilst in service?

Hippoman88

Clanker
Hi, I'm considering going for my commission after a lot of good feedback and reports. I'm struggling to find information about commissioning whilst already in service. What's the protocol? Age limit? Time scale of training? Can my family live with me. Overall what's expected? Thanks for any info in advance

So you are already serving and you can't find anything? Not on armynet, DII, MOSS, other officers, RCMO, Google? Nothing at all? Can't find anything? D'you know what? You'll be perfect as an officer. D'you know why? Because already you're being fu cking idle and getting every other fuc ker to do your work for you. How's about pi ss off?

Hippoman88

Clanker
And what a delightful rogue you are! Constructive! How I like it! Of course I've looked on these sites, just looking for an opinion and view of others! Thanks for your input, most helpful

How can we have opinions on the facts you seek? I have an opinion on the maximum age limit, but it won't change how high it is.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

SFA, I'm unsure of. Normally you have to have completed initial training etc to be eligble for SFA. Clearly alredy serving the the Royal Engineers you have done this but I'm not sure how it would work for you. If you are young enough to be looking at DE commissioning you will have to do the full year long commissioning course.

The Corps is looking at more commissioning from the ranks. Here is a brief summary of requirements from the People Policy Note:
Minimimum of 7 GCSE grade C's or higher (minimum of 35 ALIS points), of which you must have English language, maths and a science or foreign language. A levels or higher education would be better.
Must have served a minimum of 2 years
Must be under 29 by the time you start at Sandhurst
Must be recommended in SJAR
Must be medically fully deployable

It's a nine stage process:
Identification
Medical
Documentation
RE potential officer fam visit or interview with Colonel RE
AOSB briefing
Potential officer development course
AOSB
RMAS entry
Commissioning course/arms selection

Hope that helps

Hippoman88

Clanker
Thank you plant life, helps me a lot. Don't tend to get decent response on this site. As seen above. Will keep searching for the SFA part, as that could be a big factor.

gorilla

War Hero
From what i remember, if you are currently in an SFA, you stay in the same SFA until you have commissioned and have your new posting order. Hope it helps.

Hippoman88

Clanker
Thanks gorilla, only thing Ive heard on it so far

Bowmore_Assassin

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi, I'm considering going for my commission after a lot of good feedback and reports. I'm struggling to find information about commissioning whilst already in service. What's the protocol? Age limit? Time scale of training? Can my family live with me. Overall what's expected? Thanks for any info in advance

Go and see the RCMO and do some research on RMAS online and through relevant publications. How about asking for an interview with your OC or the Adjt ?

Truly, if you don't have the wherewithal to figure this out, all of your good feedback and reports mean nothing.

Really ?

Last edited:
From what i remember, if you are currently in an SFA, you stay in the same SFA until you have commissioned and have your new posting order. Hope it helps.
Fark I must be old (and bold). When I served SFA meant Sweet **** All. Still, if the cap fits etc ...

Fark I must be old (and bold). When I served SFA meant Sweet **** All. Still, if the cap fits etc ...
It still does, it's all about context.

Hippoman88

Clanker
How can we have opinions on the facts you seek? I have an opinion on the maximum age limit, but it won't change how high it is.

So what is your opinion on the age limit? Is too low? Would love to hear your thoughts.

I think you are being a little harsh on this guy. As a young Sapper you don't go anywhere near RHQ, I certainly didn't know about who the RCMO was or what he even did for the first year or so because all career stuff was done at troop level. The information about comissioning is all based on joining up straight from civvy street rather than from the ranks. I know where to find the info about that kind of stuff due to my rank and position. I doubt you could find a Sapper who knows what the Royal Engineers Action Directory is, let alone what information is on there.

Like has been said, speak to your troop commander first and he or she can get the ball rolling. Bear in mind though that you are going to have to wait just under a year before you can properly kick start everything due to the minimum 2 year period that you need to have served. Keep abreast of current affairs by reading decent newspapers etc. Look at essay writing styles, how to sift information quickly and make recommendations. Google AOSB planning exercises and command tasks and get amongst these. Volunteer for stuff and make sure you don't get pinged about having a sh1tty attitude about anything. Also, stay out of the sh1t and don't become an admin nightmare.

Last edited:
I think you are being a little harsh on this guy. As a young Sapper you don't go anywhere near RHQ, I certainly didn't know about who the RCMO was or what he even did for the first year or so because all career stuff was done at troop level. The information about comissioning is all based on joining up straight from civvy street rather than from the ranks. I know where to find the info about that kind of stuff due to my rank and position. I doubt you could find a Sapper who knows what the Royal Engineers Action Directory is, let alone what information is on there.

Like has been said, speak to your troop commander first and he or she can get the ball rolling. Bear in mind though that you are going to have to wait just under a year before you can properly kick start everything due to the minimum 2 year period that you need to have served. Keep abreast of current affairs by reading decent newspapers etc. Look at essay writing styles, how to sift information quickly and make recommendations. Google ASOB planning exercises and command tasks and get amongst these. Volunteer for stuff and make sure you don't get pinged about having a sh1tty attitude about anything. Also, stay out of the sh1t and don't become an admin nightmare.
AOSB ;)

They choose you, not the other way around.

The Week is good for current affairs, go with the online version of .co.uk and .com which will give you a broader brush. See if you can get onto a DII terminal and try digging around on the CRE webpage, (not sure of links, sorry). ArmyNet will give you so much but you really need to get on DII or better still MOSS and just do some serious digging, which is what I had to do. Have a look in the DIN folder on DII for Personnel and Training (i think) and look for the commissioning DIN for your Cap Badge, think this may just be for LE?).
Failing that, have a quick trip to the AEC to ask them for advice and they can guide you to where you need to go, if you fall down at the CoC route. If anything they can guide you through the DII maze, if you get no help from your unit.
Best of luck, I wish I'd gone that way years ago, but alas now too old

Latest Threads