Commissioning, the admin process.

Crafty990

War Hero
I completed the commissioning course short at RMAS last year. I marched up the steps and all that and it was a great achievement. I believe a commission, be it regular or reserve is a real milestone in anyones life and something of which to be rightly proud. All has gone well since and my reserve career is progressing well. I am in the correct rank and being paid correctly. However, I have had no official acknowledgement of the commission. 12 months later I have yet to be gazetted or receive the parchment. I am in a national unit so my admin staff are far away and have just said "it takes a while and will happen eventually". I have spoken to the Gazette as there was some word that there was a backlog but this isn't the case.
Does anyone know the admin process from a course finishing, how the Gazette are notified and who produces the parchment? It may seem like a minor issue but these are the things that make up the history and tradition of the officer corp and, like I said, it's a big milestone.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the admin process from a course finishing, how the Gazette are notified and who produces the parchment? It may seem like a minor issue but these are the things that make up the history and tradition of the officer corp and, like I said, it's a big milestone.
Check the Gazette yourself; it won't be too long before it's published.

However, the scroll can be sheer luck. My mate from the same commissioning course (our officer numbers differed by 2) got his through the post a year later; mine never appeared. After a couple of years waiting, I asked our Chief Clerk, and I presume my polite request went into File 13. I eventually got it nearly a decade after commissioning, having pestered his replacement as Chief Clerk - who sorted it out within a month or so, and the scroll appeared from whatever filing cabinet it had occupied (more likely than persuading Liz the Boss to put her mark to a backdated replacement as a rush job)

Crafty990

War Hero
Check the Gazette yourself; it won't be too long before it's published.

However, the scroll can be sheer luck. My mate from the same commissioning course (our officer numbers differed by 2) got his through the post a year later; mine never appeared. After a couple of years waiting, I asked our Chief Clerk, and I presume my polite request went into File 13. I eventually got it nearly a decade after commissioning, having pestered his replacement as Chief Clerk - who sorted it out within a month or so, and the scroll appeared from whatever filing cabinet it had occupied (more likely than persuading Liz the Boss to put her mark to a backdated replacement as a rush job)
I'm not into waiting for some chief clerk to pull their finger out. I'd rather push the issue along myself. Something I have done with success with civilian accreditation of the course.
I check the gazette a couple of times a month but nothing yet.
I suppose what I'm really after in this post is someone to drop an email to or pick up the phone to. If someone could give me a steer on whether that is RMAS or APC (as the last info I received suggested) that would be helpful.
It seems the regular CC has is running like a well oiled machine. Course commissions, is presented scrolls on the same day and gazetted a couple on months later. Why can't the CCS be the same? Surely it's the same individuals admin'ing the courses?
Also, where are the scrolls produced, is it the case that someone has to press print in RMAS, throw it in a tube and bung it in the post?

I have two commissioning scrolls, both with random dates that have no significance in my career.

My gazette entry is for a third date entirely.

I was commissioned for 6 years before leaving. Never got a scroll, piece of paper or anything. I was gazetted, though, and on promotions plus seniority dates listed.
Never got any discharge letter, report or anything on leaving either.

Crafty990

War Hero
It ain't rocket science is it? Course commissions, regular, reserve, LEOC, makes no odds. TAFMIS, JPA, APC updated, Gazette entry's are made, scrolls are produced. Next.

It seems also to be the norm that warrants will wait for years for a Warrant to be produced. Thrown at them out of a top draw. Smacks of undervalue.

ancient_lbv

Old-Salt
It seems also to be the norm that warrants will wait for years for a Warrant to be produced. Thrown at them out of a top draw. Smacks of undervalue.
‘‘twas ever this. I’ve got my grandfather‘s Warrant hanging on my office wall. He made Substantive WO2 in 1952, Warrant is dated late 1956.

It seems also to be the norm that warrants will wait for years for a Warrant to be produced. Smacks of undervalue.
No change, then. The first two attempts to produce Dad's Warrant mis-spelled his first name... they got it right at the third attempt (WO2 at age 29, the showoff...)

Mate of mine has one for the Corps of Royal Signals...

It will arrive. You have much to learn about army IT young padawan

I'm not into waiting for some chief clerk to pull their finger out. I'd rather push the issue along myself.
You also have much to learn about army process.

Crafty990

War Hero
You also have much to learn about army process.
20th year in green this year, but I fear your statement is still true.

I was initially told by a unit clerk that nothing could be actioned until I was Gazetted. I was gaining access to camps dressed in Barrack dress with pips on my shoulders, grey hair and a MOD 90 with the rank of Cpl on it because they wouldn't order another. I looked like a right shift sod and many an eyebrow was raised. However, since leaving the regular army I no longer fear putting clerks in their place to get stuff sorted. That statement was swiftly rubbished and an ID card was sorted. I have a knack for moving things along when I have the right steer, hence the post.

Latest Threads