Commissioning into SPS

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by B_AND_T, Mar 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Sat here, bored and for some strange reason was thinking about Officer's in the SPS.

I can understand LE's as it is a nice way to bump up your pension. What I can't understand is why someone would commission direct into SPS, knowing that the promotion ceiling is alot more restricted than other Corps or Regt's.

Any ideas as I am quite interested to find out?

2. They probably have know idea what the job entails, they just see a glossy brochure with lots of smiling happy people. But what they are not told is that they have to have their spine removed and forget all about leadership and looking after the people that they are in charge of prior to their first posting, that is of course if they want to have a decent career. I only met 2 decent RAO's in my time the rest where just looking out for themselves.

3. I can see how a woman may want to do it but a man?

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I know what you mean, it's like joining the RMP because your not good enough for Civvy Police. All very odd.

5. Also I have been led to believe that they were put under the AGC so that they could be hated even more than they were already. Some guys (me included) transfered to the AGC due to injury. And now that I'm out I receive a 6 figure salary, I got my job due to my job experience in the AGC.

6. Whatever!!

7. Due to your job experience in the SPS???? What was that then, I've just finished in the Corps of Backstabbers, and I fail to see what experience you could gain from the SPS or indeed any branch of the Army to gain a six figured salary, unless armed robbery is your bag!!!! Or you were a robust SFA and you put the decimal point in the wrong place.

8. As you can see from the UserName, im a DC atm.

I joined the SPS for the "diversity and sports", I was sold the "its about leading the people who support the unit" - that those people are grumpy, downgraded, overworked and that the position of DC is a null job was not explained.

As a nongrade and commissioning in late 2007 im not in a place to really worry about career ceiling. I wouldnt say i regret joining as ive learnt alot, however, most of it has come from having one bad RAO and one good one. Time to get out has approached and i doubt my experience will get me anywhere in the outside world...

Other DC's i know from the chap factory joined the AGC as they failed several other Corps/Regiments entry interviews... I was one who wanted to go infantry and didnt meet the requirements.

9. My experience within the SPS was varied, with the jobs that I carried out and the units I was posted to. When I got out I started working for a company that was impressed with my CV and with the variety of jobs that I had done whilst in the AGC. I'm not saying that its easy but I do use what I learned in the AGC to good effect especially the long hours and working most weekends.

10. Whats wrong with that. I have worked hard to achieve what I have.

11. I take it you're referring to your grade A in bullshitting?

12. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Hate to disappoint you but he's not!

13. What reason would I have to bullshit, next you're going to tell me I'm a walt. All I was trying to put across was that with the experience that I had with the AGC I managed to get a decent well paid job. Also B&T know's me personally and without my asking backed up what I said.

14. I must say, the "Whole Life Development Strategy" in the SPS looks a tempting prospect. On the face of it, the civilian accreditation that the SPS has for it's career courses (up to and including a BA (Hons) in Business Management, I believe) seems like a pretty good opportunity to set oneself up for civvy street.

15. During my career I was posted to various untis and with each one I had to learn a new job, and fast. This gave me confidence that I could master any job and do it well. This work efos I used in Civy Street to good effect. Most people slate the AGC and yes they have some vaild points, but I can say that I enjoyed my time in the AGC and served with some top rate units that I would never had chance to serve with, if I had remained a Regt Clerk with my original Corps.