Commissioning from the ranks

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by RMP_boyio, Dec 11, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for some information regarding commissioning from enlisted ranks. Yesterday I had my interview with the Sergeant Major who tried to persuade me to go down the officer route. However I’m desperate to join the army and enlisted would be my quickest option (already taken 3 months due to various interviews, medical and pre-selection).

What’s the minimum/average time an enlisted soldier showing officer material would serve before they would be put forward for a commission? Currently my first choice is Int. and second RMP.
  2. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

From zero to never.

If you want to be an officer, apply to be an officer.
  3. RMP - PM sent...........
  4. It depends, you have to be recommended for a commission by your OC and then they should start the ball rolling - there is a age limit but cant remember wot it is.
  5. Thanks Scaly_Officer PM sent
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Just had a chat with a mate who is seriously thinking of commissioning from the ranks. They are under the illusion that the educational requirements for those commissioning from the ranks is not the same as for those commissioning straight from civilian street.

I had always believed that the requirements, and indeed the course, was essentially the same for both sets of people. Can anyone settle this with chapter and verse please? Thanks in advance!
  7. I can't give you chapter and verse, however soldiers commissioning from the ranks are/were not normally subject the same educational requirements as their civilian counterparts. This is, in part, why most have to complete the PRAMS (?) course, after AOSB and prior to arriving at Sandhurst. Most of the ex-rankers I knew at Sandhurst certainly did not have the requesite academic qualifications to have passed the AOSB accademic screening as civilians. I may be a little out of date, so if things have changed, I stand by to be corrected.
  8. Minimum requirements are the same. Although you may find more of the ex-soldiers are just scraping the minimum. If anything it used to be harder for them to join. Because there was no chance or attending RowCo. They basically got a pass or a fail.

Although there is the PODC. The Signals sent all their POs on the Royal Signals Leadership Course.

Likewise it is worth noting that most civvies will come direct from uni where writing essays and the like is pretty common. Most of your soldier entry types will not have done this for some time.
  9. Row Coy was not about education or ac entry requirements.

Serving soldiers tend to be judged in more practical terms than those being assessed at RCB from civ st. A good friend of mine commissioned from the rank of Pte after 7 years service with no ac quals whatsoever (17 years later and he has a number of A Levels and a Masters from KCL). But then again he was an exceptional candidate.
  10. Never said it was, however, I have vagure recollections of reading that the certain categories of selection were barred from candidates from the ranks.

If there were four for civvies ie pass, pass but needs work (RowCo), pass but needs a lot of work and fail then on ly pass and fail were open to military candidates.

On the other hand the military candidate would have passed all manner of hurdles prior, such as UCB and possibly a PODC (I think it is policy now for all POs to attend PODC), so the chances of a 'needs work' candidate should be pretty much zero.

Likewise, IIRC there was no back breif for failures either.... for some unknown reason or another.

Might be wrong, what with my memory an dall.
  11. Nah, the POD Course is designed to bring potential officers up to the requisite academic level for passing AOSB. So A-Levels etc. need not apply. The actual AOSB is the exact same, albeit with much more pressure since the Army have invested so much time in getting them AOSB ready. Its interesting to note that if you do fail, I think the Pods DS will help you develop the points of weakness ID'd at main board.

It does seem to be policy for all serving soldiers to go to on the Pods course. I didnt though, I used four days leave to attend Main Board. :D The potential shitstorm that could have landed on my head was averted when the OC called me into his office and told me that I'd shown quite a bit of initiative there! PRMAS for me then....