Commissioned ODP?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by berob91, Dec 20, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A friend was telling me how he knew somebody who was an Operating Department Practitioner who joined after qualifying and became an officer.

Is this correct?

If so, is it more of an admin job.

I'm in that phase where I'm not sure whether I want to be a Reg or TA so the more information the better. Been to the careers office far too many times now to ask more questions.

2. Difficult decision.....for the privilage of your own rank...?

Not sure I understand your aspiration here.

Q. Are you a qualified ODP?

Q. Do you want to be an ODP within the military?

Q. Are you interested in providing a service and contributing or do you just want to be an Officer?

Commissions are not handed out like boiled sweets on exercise you know! An Officer will do admin...not only for themself but substantially more for the benifit of the soldiers they are responsible for... or at least they should!!

I would be fairly sure that the Career Office would not have a lot of information regarding AMS commissions, I suggest you contact an AMS unit closest to you and ask there!

3. No not at present but I hopefully start next year.

Yes I do. Edging towards being a Territorial.

I was in the UOTC and really enjoyed it. I feel personally I could do the job. I actually really want to be an officer.

4. Berob91, the ODP Commissions are currently Late Entry and applicants are required to be over the age of 30 years and hold the substantive rank of Staff Sergeant, WO2 or WO1 (OR7, OR8 or OR9).

You cannot currently join the Army as a qualified ODP and Commission.

Leviticus

5. Thanks Levictus. That's cleared it up for me. I did find it peculiar. As long as I can be in theatre I am happy.