Commission once a soldier

Discussion in 'Officers' started by Line, Jan 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

I'm 18 and sitting AS levels soon expecting to get results over the 140 UCAS points needed for entry as an officer. I've applied to join the army as a soldier although I would also like to go for a commision at some point but not straight away I would prefer some time under my belt as a soldier. If I was to do this how would I go about it and what are the chances I would be successful once in? ie. would I be at an advantage from where I started before I joined or a disadvantage?

Thanks.

2. The best advice I could offer you is to learn how to spell

'Commission'

Correctly.

No offence

3. If you want to be a soldier first , i suggest doing that. You can make a career out of it and once you've gone as far as you can go (WO1 etc), you can get a commission. But that's about 20 odd years down the line. I don't think you meant that much time under your belt , but that is one way to go.

Good luck either way

4. When you get to your unit, make it known to your adults that you want to go officer. They will then mark you up as a PO, Potential Officer. depending on the unit you go to, the majority of Seniors or arrsehole crow officers you get, they'll be trying their hardest to fcuk you off. Go officer first other wise you'll be stuck in the ranks, and in x amount of years time, when you've been fcuked off so many times, you'll be a bitter twisted sad wanna be who never was. Go toff first not later!! Take the opportunity now, cos knowing what the army is like, you may never get the chance again

5. Go Rupert Now. My way of thinking is you wont hack the stick you will get for it off the lads the bosses and eventually yourself. Before you know it your dream of drinking a fine wine in the officers mess is replaced by necking a warm flat stella with fag ends in it, in the naffi.

Hmmmm Stella!!! :D

6. Well thanks for the replies, got a good few months of waiting even to apply for officer which will be a nightmare but I suppose I can put up wthout it to opt of of the warm stella and fag ends :lol:

PS. I can spell it's the typing without messing up that gets me.

PPS. Woul dmy application to join as a soldier be frowned upon?

7. I see no point in setting out to do both.

Why do you want 'time under your belt?'. I assume it is that you feel it will give you credibility as an officer? Don't be fooled - It is your ability that will do that. To get any credibillity as a soldier you would need to get serious time under your belt; if your intention is always to go for a commission, you are simply putting it back a number of years. Your promotion 'windows' as an officer are based primarily on your years of commissioned service and so you could lose out on all counts.

Do it the other way round: Apply for a commission and if you don't get it, you can apply as a soldier with no loss of face.

8. Utter shite.

If you are able to go to university and get a degree do so. If you are not able to go to university (for what ever reason) then join as a soldier and then apply for a commission, but be under no illusions that this is an easier option. If you do join from the ranks you will always have to contend with arrseholes (of all ranks) trying to obstruct you - you should be sufficiently robust and confident to deal with this, or else you are applying for the wrong job!

Any time served as a soldier counts towards seniority as an officer, in a similar way to that of graduates. However, whilst graduates get one year of seniority for every year at university, ex-soldiers only get six months seniority for every year served. This is not insignificant and you should consider these factors carefully. If you are joining at a very young age joining as a soldier may not be a disadvantage in terms of seniority, but in many respects the process from soldier to officer is much more difficult than that from civilian.

All the best.

9. My point was simply that if you join as a soldier with the sole intention of applying for a commission in the near future (say 3-4 years), you will gain nothing from it (a lot of it will be spent in training that you will either not need, or do again at RMAS). Admittedly, you may get a minor advantage in seniority, but a) still less than graduates and b) not a lot.

If you want to be a soldier first, as an 18 year old - do at least 5-7 years in the ranks. This will give you more credibility amongst soldiers and officers alike, plenty of experience (esp operational) and will place you at around the same age as the graduate entrants.

My advice: Go to University first, do a degree that reflects something you may like to do in the future, then apply for a commission. I do not think there is anything to stop you joining as a soldier once you have already passed RCB! That way, if you fail, the choice is made for you :)

10. What advantage other than seniority and a bit of life experience would one gain from going to uni as it's out of the question really I want to get on with my life ASAP how would RMAS look at me just having AS levels? And in the gap between sitting my AS's this week and getting my results to apply a month or two later. I will have finished my exams this week and be pretty much a free agent, would travelling or betting a job be more benificial to my application?

Thanks.

11. Line

If you can do it, go to Uni.

They will be the best years of your yet-short life.

If you want to go Army, get a bursary which means plenty of cash (for a student anyway), training whilst there, OTC etc. then off to Sandhurst on completion, with a bit of seniority as you'll be a graduate.

Best of all possible Worlds.

One day, when you leave the Army you'll want some sort of job. By then, street sweepers will need a degree. Take it from one who pissed away his first chance then had to do a part-time degree and work at the same time.

12. Line,

Nobody has mentioned anything about motivation yet, so here goes.

Have you read any books on leadership? Have you researched RCB and Sandhurst? Do you know what they are looking for?

Do you understand what "selfless commitment" means? Integrity? Honesty?

Can you think outside the box when you are cold and tired? Can you keep going when cold and tired? Have you ever been really cold and tired.... and not just a bit cold and a bit tired?

Can you write clear, concise English? Can you pick out the bones from an argument or discussion, a paper or a book, etc and use those bones to build your case?

Have you been a member of the ACF or Scouts & Guides? Have you done anything during your school career other than just study?

What type of guy are you? Are you always testing yourself, always looking to further your knowledge, always reading widely, asking questions, trying to make people do things for you? If you are, then a commission may be the best route.

If you tend to stand at the back and wait for things to happen, then a career as an Officer may not be within your grasp.

I agree with the others, apply for a commission first and see what happens. If you are not selected, then join the Army and work your way through the ranks.

Litotes

13. FB: Uni doesn't appeal to me as much as going straight for sandhurst, if it wasn't possible for me to go officer without a degree than that would be a different matter but as it stands I don't want to go to uni now I would prefer to have a crack at going for offcier entry first.

Litotes: I haven't been a member of the ACF, Scouts or guides but I am a member of the TA. I've done many sports I didn't just study as for all the other points other than reading up on leadership I've done it all pretty much.

Thanks for both replies.

14. Get yourself to RMAS as soon as you can. Non-graduate officers spend more time doing "proper soldiering" anyway, as they spend the time the rest of us did at uni commanding a Platoon. Once you do reach the dizzy heights of Captain, you'll have gained far more relevant experience and credibility than you would have done humping the Minimi about.

15. FFS if you want a commission, get it now. And that means going to RMAS or uni. Join as an oik and you'll have a great time, going to places, doing things, pissing up etc. The you won't want to give it up. Or you'll be married with 2.4 kids, and won't want the family upheaval of officer training. So you think: this isn't what I got my AS levels for. Then you leave, and look for a job in civvy street - not much call for tank drivers there. And you're an ex-squaddie, with what?

Bite the bullet and go to uni whilst you have the chance. Hell, it'll be the best time of your life - my 19-YO lad tells me so! Get the commission, go for a full career, enjoy the fine wine (you'll also get plenty of flat stella) and - I know you don't want to think of it now - think of the pension when you are 40-odd or later.

Me? Failed A levels, techie in RAF for 12 years, working in defence industry now, got Chartered Engineer the hard way, Postgraduate Certificate in Engineering Management and doing an MSc in late 40's. Wish I'd got me head down in late teens and gone to uni. Bet you're a typical 18-YO and don't want to listen to us old cnuts, but WHY DID YOU ASK IN THE FIRST PLACE if all you want to do is come up with arguments against the advice?