Commission of an ACF Officer? - how are they classed?

#2
they are commsiioned officers of the Army Cadet Force, they hold a TA commision list B, TA on active service hold TA list A commission.
both are saluted, it is the commission you are saluting not the man.

they have different responsibilities, there is no crossover.
 
#3
I'm getting so many mixed messages about this one.

Can an ACF Officer style themselves as, '...a Commissioned Officer in the British Army' in the same way that a TA Officer is able to?
 
#6
No they have to be distinctive and wear a cravat and smoke a cigarette with a filter.
 
#7
Sigh, here we go again. Notwithstanding the fact that ACF officers do a slightly different Westbury, don't do Sandhurst and are geared towards being a youth leader they do indeed hold a TA (Group B) Commission.

When that is published in the London Gazette they are notified as for service with the ACF - note the distinction - they are serving "with" the ACF rather than being "in" the ACF. They are of course in reality firmly "in" the ACF and extremely unlikely to ever serve anywhere else.

So the answer is really yes, despite all the "carboard cutout" comments and the like they are indeed a TA officer, albeit in the loosest possible sense.

An additional point worthy of note is that within the ACF all ranks above Lt are acting, substantive officer rank is limited to Lt with the exception of those serving on dual commission where their Group A rank is substantive whatever they may be and which takes precedence.

As for "styling" oneself, now that would be another matter.
 
#8
Monty

Are you ACF??

If so, keep quiet - shhhhhhh

If not - who gives a flying fcuk!!!!
 
#10
In my humble opinion

How ACF officers style themselves is really down to them at the end of the day ,they hold the Queens commission and should act in a manner befitting that ...
On the other hand there is no need to go ramming it down the neck of every serving soldier they meet.
Should they wish to walk around ramming the "I am an officer chapter and verse "down soldiers necks then they will invariably come unstuck as would most of their regular and TA list A counterparts if they did the same

I for one am lucky enough to be co located with a TA unit whose officers ,soldiers and SPSI/PSI's have always been more than proffessional in their approach to the ACF and its staff ie rank in public ,first names in cases in private.

This is largely attributed to the fact that that all the SNCO/Commissioned ACF staff on site are ex regular soldiers with the shortest length of service being 10 years and know how to act in relation to their rank and hold no hang ups with it.
I have heard of lots of cases of ACF Officers coming unstuck in their attitude towards serving soldiers and have found that
Bad attitude within ACF officer + Mis informed soldier = trouble
Unfortunatley even with only a 35% average pass rate at AOSB the odd throbbers are still managing to get commissioned for service with the ACF.

Pimp out
 
B

Biscuits_AB

Guest
#12
semper said:
they are commsiioned officers of the Army Cadet Force, they hold a TA commision list B, TA on active service hold TA list A commission.
both are saluted, it is the commission you are saluting not the man.

they have different responsibilities, there is no crossover.
You're a little man aren't you? And most likely in every sense of the word as well.
 
#13
mcclurg said:
35%?

Wow, that's much lower than I would have thought.
yep only 35% passing the AOSB for service with the ACF .................
allthough you wouldn't think it sometimes ..........

Biscuits AB good to see you have resumed your hat baiting persecution of poor old semper ..............

LOL I do love continuity..............
 
#14
yep static line pimp, I noticed the baiting and not bothered the slightest :)

a 35% pass rate is not good, what are the main reasons for failure ?
quite shocking really.

Is it lack of preparation ? bad attitude ? poor selection of Potential Officers by County ? if the cause is addressed then the pass rate should improve.

I have considered putting in for an ACF commission, the main reason being it can open a few doors for the benefit of Cadets, the rest of course is up to me particularly in building up a good working relationship with the TA for the mutual benefit of Cadets and the TA, however before I go I will want to put as much preparation as I can for it, after all "Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance" holds true here.

I have observed a Planex in action last Saturday and have found it very interesting and useful learning experience, I have since gone through various scenarios in my head and the possible outcomes, time , fuel, routes etc and did find it stimulating expecially for passing the time on the boring Motorway I have to drive for my job
 
#15
Semper,

Thanks for your previous 'sensible' postings.
I passed the AOSB (TA) and although there's differences between all of the various AOSB's at Wetsbury there can only ever be one reason why people don't pass the selection board. I don't care what anyone says about personailyt profiles not fitting, etc or not 'born to lead'........load of rubbish. I am Chartered in HR and an experienced assessor. All assessment centres are the same in principle........it's just the Core Competencies that are different & knowing exactly what buttons to press and at what time.......'PM' me & i'll provide you with all the assistance i can. Cheers.
 

cpunk

LE
Moderator
#16
lordmonty said:
Can an Army Officer Cadet Commissioned Officer style themselves as 'A Commissioned Officer in the British Army?'
Realistically they would be better off styling themselves as 'A Commissioned Officer in the Army Cadet Force' in order to prevent doubt. Only a very foolish ACF officer would attempt to 'large it' with either the TA or the regular army on the basis of having completed the ACF commissioning process.

In theory, the ACF commission is of equal status with any other type of commission; in reality it's a bit like claiming that 'My Daihatsu is better than your Lamborghini'.
 
#17
semper said:
yep static line pimp, I noticed the baiting and not bothered the slightest :)

a 35% pass rate is not good, what are the main reasons for failure ?
quite shocking really.

Is it lack of preparation ? bad attitude ? poor selection of Potential Officers by County ? if the cause is addressed then the pass rate should improve.

I have considered putting in for an ACF commission, the main reason being it can open a few doors for the benefit of Cadets, the rest of course is up to me particularly in building up a good working relationship with the TA for the mutual benefit of Cadets and the TA, however before I go I will want to put as much preparation as I can for it, after all "Planning and Preparation Prevents Poor Performance" holds true here.

I have observed a Planex in action last Saturday and have found it very interesting and useful learning experience, I have since gone through various scenarios in my head and the possible outcomes, time , fuel, routes etc and did find it stimulating expecially for passing the time on the boring Motorway I have to drive for my job
Do you and Biscuits have some form of long standing love feud or what ? LOL


Semper the best way to pass the planning exercise is be able to remember your calculations ,be confident ,stick to your guns and also listen to the brief on the planex given to you by the DS the method is all in that.


To be honest the 35 % pass rate seems to be down to the standard being high and people turning up not correctly prepared and going to pieces to be honest.
There was lotts of flapping
and but "what if I fail ?"
Going on when I did it ........
 
#18
At the TCB (it wasnt AOSB at that stage) I attended, I had a mate from my unit with me. He was deemed unsuitable for TA commissioning but was offered a cadet commission in its place he declined and is now a TA Cpl. True story.
 
#19
cpunk said:
Only a very foolish ACF officer would attempt to 'large it' with either the TA or the regular army
It's amazing ( and realy quite funny ) how many of them do just that.
 
#20
Good points Monty and Static. I would aver that it is indeed all about pushing the right buttons and being well prepared, the two go hand in hand of course. Turning up full of panic and ill prepared is inviting disaster.

When I did it I took the opportunity to download the sample Planex, read up, be sure of what I needed to know etc. Good preparation should also be helped by pre-board training within your County.

Am currently happy doing both Group A & Group B, the two are very different but both very worthwhile.
 

Similar threads

Top