commission from being a private

Discussion in 'Officers' started by pioneeronaplate, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. sorry if this has been posted many times before but how do you get to the chance to go for your commission from being a private?

im a chef and have been at my unit for 4 months now and dont believe this is the career where my future lies. i have qualifactions which going by the recruitment website are good enough to become an officer.

i spoke to my RCWO about the posibilty of a transfer and he isn't sure how to go about it and has spoken to other ranks who themselves aren't sure. so ive been tasked with finding out. so can can anyone please help?
  2. Approach your chain of command and ask for OC's interview.
    If your in a Major unit then the RCMO or Adjt should be able to point you in the right direction.
  3. Failing that just march up to RMAS, ask them what room you will be staying in, and what time is the mess serves the tea and scones? ;)
  4. As you'll be an ex-ranker, you get to call the CSgts 'mate' too!
  5. Tytus_Barnowl

Tytus_Barnowl On ROPs

Better than that, say to the RSM oy you, next year you'll have to salute me so wind your neck in.
    I witnessed this once with a TA pte. I don't know if he ever got a commission but the RSM certainly didn't wind his neck in, rather the opposite and said pte was in the first transport out of the camp.
  6. You will need the backing of your chain of command as they have to reccomend you. You will probably have to sit interviews at your unit for them to get to know you a little better. This can be anything from an interview with the CO to a formal grilling infront of several Officers (this is what I had). They wanted to assess my reasons for wanting to become an Officer, my opinions on certain matters, the way I coped with having to comment on a subject that I knew very little etc. Basically they need to know that you can hold your own when under pressure.

If you are successful you will go on the normal route ie fam visits (get more than one in, they are great fun), AOSB briefing and main board. I did the Potential Officer's Development Course at Worthy Down which was great prep for main board. Linky to PODC article:

AOSB website:

Have a look through the AOSB pages on this site also to see what others have been up to on the route to Sandhurst.

Good luck.
  7. Yes. They like that.