Commerically available equivalents for oil & lubricants?

Hi guys

I've got a 1996 Leyland DAF GS truck which I'm taking into Africa on an overland expedition. (www.overafrica.org)

I've got the army designation codes for the lubricants required for the lorry:

Engine oil: OMD90
Engine coolant: AL39
Gearbox oil: OEP220
Power steering: OX75
Bearing grease: XG279

Can anyone tell me commercially available equivalents please?

I've got the following... can anyone confirm if this is accurate?

Engine oil: Ursa 15W-40
Gearbox oil: 80W-90

Thanks
Steve

If you quickly register to that site there is a section just for oils and lubricants full of men with beards who will know exactly what you require (because they stock them) ;)

I use **** lube instead of beaded swarfega.

No wait...I use beaded swarfega instead of **** lube. My fault.

You have not bothered asking on difflock, no wonder they cannot help, you spanner. :)

if all else fails,try millers oils,they do an extensive range of oils,and i'm sure thay can help you.unforunately,i dont do links,am fick ok,well here goes 'www.millersoils.net'

OMD 90
Lubricating Oil, Engine. Severe duty, diesel, extended service SAE 10W/30.
To Def Stan 91-113/1
Use any SAE 10W/30 diesel engine oil

AL 39
Antifreeze, inhibited ethanediol.
To Def Stan 68-127/1.
Use any bog standard antifreeze.

OEP 220
Lubricating oil, gear. Extreme pressure, grade SAE 80W/90
To Def Stan 91-59/2
Use any SAE 80W/90 gearbox oil.

OX 75
Hydraulic fluid, automatic transmission.
To GM 6417M: 1998 specification.
Viscosity at 100C 6.5-9.0 centiStokes
Viscosity index min 160
apparent viscosity at -20C 1,500mPas
apparent viscosity at -40C 20,000mPas
Flash point 170C

XG 279
Grease Automotive and Artillery
To Def Stan 91-27/2
Penetration, worked 265-295
Dropping point (min) 130C
General purpose lubricant for automotive and artillery applications, operated over the range of minus 54C to plus 105C

Hope this helps. I may be able to find a book that gives recommended commercially available equivalents if needed.

That is brilliant, thanks a million!

If you do manage to find the book with the commercially available equivalents that would be really appreciated.

Thanks

There is a book, seen it a few years ago on a tour when we had to work out alternatives, don't know if it's still around, the School of Petroleum down at Westmoors, Dorset would certainly be able to help.

Last time i saw that book with alternatives was out in Bosnia last year so it is still available and it was quite up to date!

Your engine is turbo charged and you are going to a hot country. Do not put anything less than "FULLY synthetic" oil in your engine. I have no idea why the army puts semi synthetic in their engines, it is pointless if your engine is Forced induction. John Deere do a quality Torq Guard oil (made by Fuchs), also Mobil 1 have started doing a heavy duty engine oil for diesel engines with high milage which is outstanding.

Also, gear oil, there are a few to choose from, Make sure it is 80w/90 "GL-4"......as GL-5 can damage white and yellow metals. I have never stripped the gearbox or the diff but its not worth risking it. (shell oil do a really good quality gear oil)

but to be honest your local John Deere dealer will be able to sort you out with every thing you need . Engine oil, Pre mixed coolant, Lithium grease, gear oil etc. its all heavy duty stuff (which you will be needing), it comes in large drums(handier than 5l bottles) and if you buy the lot ask him for some dealer discount!.... shy kids get nowt!

Hope this helps

The oils and lubes you have quoted were all specified for NW Europe (not very hot and bloody cold) and you are driving across Africa (bloody hot and rarely cold).

Different conditions. Go to the experts and ask.

Litotes

I emailed a mate of mine who is a lube engineer - this is what he recommended:

hi mate, the best oil for the heat is the thickest oil as this will lose less viscosity at the high temperatures so you'll be looking at a 10W-40 or 10W-50 - fully synthetic is best. however, also best to check if there is a specification requirement for the cummins engine - normal road-car diesel oils are specified up to API CF which is a pretty old rating - heavy duty / commercial diesels sometimes require oils at CG-4 spec, it's basically a higher spec - cummins may also require an oil to meet their own specification, so a heavy duty truck oil is probably what to look for.

sorry i can't be more help mate. if you can find it, try and get the number of the castrol technical helpline as they can find the specs for every vehicle and also recommend oils to fit those specifications (it's the number on the back of any can of castrol oil)

Hope this helps.

TB