Commercial Diving

Discussion in 'Jobs (Discussion)' started by Galileo82, Sep 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Morning All

Was wondering if anyone has any experience in commercial diving? Is there sufficient work? Is the pay good? Travel opportunities?

This is really a back up should I fail AOSB, which hopefully I wont, but its good to plan ahead.

Thanks in advance.

2. Marine Engineering firms are crying out for divers, even paying for certain people with construction qualifications to train as a diver. The money is great.
    It costs about £12000 to train to the kind of standard required but yo would expect at least that as a starting salary for a commercial diver.

The more "technical" the work the better the money.
  3. I qualified as a Part 2 diver at Fort Bovisand in 1992. Did one big job and then ended up leaving the industry due to lack of work. Out of my course of 9 only 3 are still working (either Part 1 or Supervisor) the rest either died or left the industry. When I worked the pay was fantastic especially for a 22 year old.

Saying all this, my last contact with mates in the industry was 2001, so thiings will have changed. Always thought ROV operator might be a good thing to get into as they become ore advanced and it's better to lose a machine rather than a diver.

Good luck what ever you decide to do.
  4. Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I have a Mechanical Engineering degree and a Geotechnical Engineerng degree and am curently a consultant and it's the funding that I would be looking for. A 13 week course at the Fort Willam training centre is £11500, as you said, which is a lot of money.

I will investigate further. Do you have any idea what Marine Engineering firms?

Thanks very much.
  5. Of natural causes...or on the job?
  6. Two died on the job, so to speak. One was killed when a strop snapped and a load of pipe fell through the water to where he was working. The other died in the far east when his air was contaminated with fumes from the generators.
  7. A safer option would be to train as an ROV operator (camera on a wire) or as a DMT/ALST (Dive medic/Chamber op).

More here:
  8. Read the forums at , it's an excellent site with a wealth of information. It also has links to diving companies around the world.

Remember that diving is just a way of getting to work, it's what you can do when you get there that earns you money. A degree means next to nothing, unfortunately.

Have a look around, there are other options, and you certainly don't need to spend that amount of money to get started 8)
  9. Morning All

I'm still looking into the possibilities of a commercial diving career, and I would like to get in contact with some of the big names in commercial diving to ask about sponsorship, job prospects etc. Does anyone know of "The Big Three" companies in the UK?

10. Galileo, PM me your email address and I will put you in touch with a couple of friends who are still in the Commercial Diving world.