Comments....please

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tankie88, Jun 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

For us with the fun Police watching, can people who post YouTube give a description of what is going on!

2. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Its a Budwieser advert showing passengers standing and applauding American soldiers returning from the sandy place, then says thank you at the end.

3. I went to Sea World in Florida recently where we took in the Orca show. Before the show started the announcer dedicated it to all US and UK servicemen on operations and asked for any members of those armed forced to stand so that the crowd could applaud us.

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Well I suppose it's being better than being spat at by some chav scumbag.

5. The mind set in America is totally different to that of the UK. They really do see themselves as a nation at war, especially those towns and cities close to military communities. A couple of years a go I travelled through a US civilian airport and alot of people wanted to shake our hands etc (saying the the vast majority were not interested).

6. Great ad. Unfortunately it wouldn't fly here - people would complain in their hundreds to ofcom, claiming brainwash. I wonder how many people have snarled at their TVs in response to the "To the Best" campaign ads. "Get that trash off our tele! Ohh, I love this McDonald's ad..."

7. It's been done on Arrse before , either as a big thread in it's own right, or as part of a thread on the public and the Armed Forces.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Quite right, the thread is out there somewhere, the ad is old. The one posting I recall however from that thread was where a guy mentioned he and his mates had just got back from sandy place, still in dessie DPM and hopped in a car-share to get to another part of the country, at the motorway service station at night they sat down for their BK and an indian guy (any bets on him being Sikh?) came over and thanked them and shook their hands, cue lots of other people coming over and thanking them too. Quite took the lads breath away!

I will have a hunt on the search function.

9. I think you might find many people would be pleased to recognise your service if you were coming in through civi airports. The general public don't see enough of you in uniform to be able to show their appreciation.

10. No they wouldn't.

Even thew most offensive ads attract complaints only in the 3-figure region: but that is enough for the broadcasters to cave in.

What is missing is a bit of common sense with the simple balls - when it is appropriate - to tell the whingers to feck off.

11. Of course we should, and not just as a beer ad.

12. Personally, I thought it was a great advertisement and it would be good to see something similar in the UK.

13. Being a septic sort I have seen this ad. (There are lots of beer ads during baseball games.) Oddly, I have seen the same thing happen for real at US airports a few times, applause for the froops. I also occasionally have seen people behind soldiers at airport food stands reach past the soldier saying "No, no, let me get that (ice cream, coffee, pizza etc.) son, it's on me.

You see a lot of soldiers, sailors traveling in uniform and people seem to genuinely like to see them. Not always applause but nods and smiles and waves.

Back during Gulf War One (Granby??) wife was a naval officer and got lots of greetings - good wishes. Little kids seem to like navy ladies. One day she was in tropical whites and a little girl came up to say "I like your outfit, it's pretty"

14. Seconded.

As an experiment, when the complete ban on wearing uniform was eased in the UK around 2000, I took a stroll round Woking one lunchtime, in combats with beret and hackle.

Despite being only a hop skip and jump from Pirbright, folk were literally falling off kerbs in their amazement at the sight of a soldier.