Commemorative Plaque from the Reichs Chancellery?

This bronze plaque came from the same loft as my 5 F & S knives which have received lots of very informative helpful replies.

This plaque commemorates the completion of the Reichs Chancellery from March 1938 until the present day-dedicated to the builders-and dated Berlin 9th January 1939.
These dates are correct for the length of time it had taken to do this.

The original, in cast iron, is in the German History Museum in Berlin. They informed me that copies of this piece were made of iron as clean casts and had foundry marks, which this piece does not, and discounts this as a copy. They had never seen a similar example in this gold colour.

They put forward that the black market after WW2 was rife and this unique object was probably cast and sold to, or nicked by, a soldier, or RAF crew, who brought it back to blighty in the Berlin airlift of 1949-50. It arrived in East Anglia, where all the airfields used in the airlift were situated, and has stayed here up until now.

It's a reasonable story but nobody knows of course but it is certainly a one off and a most interesting item.
I put it on Ebay and it lasted 24 minutes before someone complained which I guessed might happen.
Same as the knives I would like help as to selling it on a militaria site.

Thank you.

Attachments

• plaque 9.JPG
    plaque 9.JPG
    731.7 KB · Views: 104
  • plaque 15.JPG
    plaque 15.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 78
  • Plaque8.JPG
    Plaque8.JPG
    392 KB · Views: 65
  • plaque11.JPG
    plaque11.JPG
    777.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
That'd look quite nice set into the brickwork of the extension we have planned, if anyone comments, i'll just tell 'em it's recycled materials...

A similar item at this link, single sided and unsigned, not much use though as I haven`t got a Worthpoint log in.... LINK
Thanks
A similar item at this link, single sided and unsigned, not much use though as I haven`t got a Worthpoint log in.... LINK

Hi, thanks for the tip. I do have a log in there and one other was sold 7 years ago.
I'm peed off that there is one other plaque, but happy that it has given me an
estimate of the value of mine. Many thanks.

Attachments

• plaque 11.jpeg
    plaque 11.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 32

Latest Threads