Commemoration of Black and Asian troops..

If you ever go on holiday to Crete, an hour at the Suda Bay CWGC is worth it.
It is a lovely location, it honours our dead.

This includes a hundred or so Maoris.

Rascist slave masters that we are

I thought I'd give you the chance to be deeply offended for no good reason.

I came across this yesterday and immediately thought of you. It also applies to the sorry saga under discussion here.

“Little by little and without warning, do-gooders and censorship have taken control. Obsessed by their image of upholders of morality, a whole load of people without culture, without experience and without courage are trying to impose their narrow-minded ideas on us. Their sterile, uniform and puerile ideas are seeking to invade humanity. If we have the misfortune not to think like them, they rush at us with all their dictatorial energy to try to make us be quiet. Humour is quietly disappearing as a result of their moralising speeches, freedom is in its death throes, creation is lifeless and democracy in great danger.”

Carla Bruni-Sarkozy
I'm not "deeply offended" and if you reading something instantly makes you think of me, perhaps you need to engage in a wider range of activities. Maybe even some with intellectual content.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm not "deeply offended" and if you reading something instantly makes you think of me, perhaps you need to engage in a wider range of activities. Maybe even some with intellectual content.

You're my pet snowflake and she described you perfectly - hence the connection.

Bee Companeeee

Old-Salt
This is not about the subject matter of memorials. It is about certain black people behaving in a racist way towards white people and blaming them for all perceived ills that they think black people have suffered. They dont care if they have to dip into history, the present day or the future so long as they can find material to advance their cause of the black person over the white person.

CWGC attacked as another 'very British' institution like National Trust and CofE. Commonwealth, though they signed up as Empire dead from everywhere, India and West Indies Regt on the Menin Gate also large numbers of Indian and Chinese at Etaples cemetery. I had a few conversations with African WW2 Vets at the VE Day 50 events in London, they said that post independence in their countries they had been marginilized as they had served in 'colonial forces'.

BBC quite excited over this one, number one on news page at times, also CofE now wacist, BBC love to stir the pot! Country Life next on hit list.

Suddenly great interest in the little known WW1 war in West and East Africa.

oddly they dont
I visited a CWGC site in Amiens, and the vast majority of the graves were French Colonial troops, and at the French National Cemetery at Notre-Dame-De-Lorette, thousands of foreign troops are buried alongside their comrades with respect to their religion

Things have improved in the last twenty years but for all of the North African tirailleur regiments there is just one memorial, at the Verdun ossuary, and none for the Senegalese or Indochinese.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
CWGC attacked as another 'very British' institution like National Trust and CofE. Commonwealth, though they signed up as Empire dead from everywhere, India and West Indies Regt on the Menin Gate also large numbers of Indian and Chinese at Etaples cemetery. I had a few conversations with African WW2 Vets at the VE Day 50 events in London, they said that post independence in their countries they had been marginilized as they had served in 'colonial forces'.

BBC quite excited over this one, number one on news page at times, also CofE now wacist, BBC love to stir the pot! Country Life next on hit list.

Suddenly great interest in the little known WW1 war in West and East Africa.

I wonder if the BBC will explore why the Herero and Nama were pleased to see the back of the Germans as a result of the Allies' African efforts in WW1?

What attitudes have changed? We have allowed ethnic minorities that used to be kept off the front line to die en masse?

They remembered as are people from the colonies as I’m not aware of any ‘whites only monuments.’

so we now need to apologies that some ethnic minorities like those from Africa were used as Labourers behind the lines. Should we lament that as well as dying from disease as White Empire Troops did, they were spared being massacred in battle.

Chinese Labourers were the modern day equivalent of contractors. There’s monuments for them as well. Again though, should we lament that they weren’t made to go over the top?

Indian troops again did a great job. There lives weren’t squandered. They were just poorly led as the officers they’d trained with who knew the customs and languages were killed off and replaced with new officers who didn’t know any of these languages or customs.

because as we all know, white troops in the trenches had a great time.

The French of course had some great colonial troops who fought like lions and also suffered at the hands of the Germans because of their skin colour. I lament these guys.

just like the Germans prisoners they killed and the French civilian population they raped, killed and plundered from.

why does everything we do seem to revolve around American segregation?

the British empire at the time, the commonwealth and the U.K. today have been pretty bloody good at integrating people.

incidentally, I found this on YouTube and it’s not a coal miner 1 minute in.

I’ve mentioned my Great uncle who died at neuve chapelle in February 1915. He went through a rather well known orphanage system. His mum died c 1905 and it seems his dad couldn’t look after him, as his younger brother had to be looked after. Long story short there is a link between orphanages supplying child Labour cheaply to the Empire and he was sent to Canada in 1908 as a farm worker. But these things are forgotten now because he isn’t viewed as a slave worker. Any how he joined the Canadian Perth unit and volunteering was a means of getting back to Blighty.

The Calais memorial has all sort of nationalities buried there including a lot of Chinese and sailors from various ships and all sorts of religions. Up in scapa flow the graveyard there contains another mix with some graves pointing east whilst in Ypres on the monument there’s Punjab’s,West Indians and all sorts.

So not forgotten but it was 100 years ago and attitudes were different. Move it back another 100 years and Waterloo was providing free teeth for all.

Seems Boris is right upset by all this palaver

Boris Johnson said he is "deeply troubled" by failures to properly commemorate black and Asian troops who died fighting for the British Empire during World War One.

Some troops were commemorated collectively or their names were recorded in registers, while their white counterparts had headstones.

Defence Secretary Ben Wallace apologised in the Commons after a report blamed "pervasive racism".
Mr Wallace pledged to "take action".

The prime minister offered an "unreserved apology" over the findings of the review by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.

"Our shared duty is to honour and remember all those, wherever they lived and whatever their background, who laid down their lives for our freedoms at the moment of greatest peril," he said.

Mr Wallace expressed "deep regret" in the House of Commons, as he told MPs there was "no doubt" prejudice had played a part in what happened after WW

Boris an Eton educated idiot

Archie

Mr Lammy and his friends must have been horrified at the 40 year long neglect of the Zehrendorf Indian Cemetery (South of Berlin) by the CWGC. Mind you the fact it was in the middle of a GSFG driver training area might have had something to do with it. There again, they probably don't even know it exists!

This cemetery, and the French one adjoining it, contain the remains of WW1 colonial soldiers who were held in the POW camp nearby. A separate section of this camp contained around 4000 Muslem POWs, the facilities including the first mosque built in Germany.

I see the game they are playing. Do you?

Commonwealth war graves: PM 'deeply troubled' over racism​

These people sicken me. I was a young lad full of balls, and let's face it, even when I was a young lad I was never full of baws. Then i Most certainly would not sign up for activities contrary to getting one 'baws' shot off. Oh no. Not for me. So maybe I should just take a big ******* cup of shut the **** up and shut the **** up. But for some reason I can't. I'm outraged. outraged I tell you!

All of those men got their respect in one way or another. Some soldiers were marked in unmarked graves. Good enough for 'em. "Only known by God". Did they complain? No! Some of them even said in a bad Yorkshire accent: "You think thass bad".

Can the dead laugh?

Do they care?

What do you think they would prefer?

That some no-mark never served civvy like me makes bad jokes on their behalf, or the fact that some no-mark never served civvy in a politician's uniform makes bad jokes on their behalf?

Pandering, posturing. The ultimate ******* insult. Don't make political capital out of these men's deaths.

DEEPLY TROUBLED?

Really?

I don't ******* think so. If you were, you would only send the new soldiers of today to fight in honourable conflicts where they were truly needed as opposed to just scoring points for your shares index and using them as political capital to see out your pension fund.

I get why some of you mad bastards do what you do. It's not for me, personally. And it's better that you mad bastards have a field to play that all out in. The maddest bastards of you see it as a job.

But to draw a line like these cnuts have: oh so we sent all those dumb brownies out to die and we never even mentioned their names in despatches!

**** you. ******* pandering idiots. For political gain.

I've already stepped over the mark for a civvy. I'll wind my neck in now.

**** them.

All men fight and die equal. No man really gets remembered. And those that do, it's for the few hours that the few family remember. To draw a distinction, is 'crass' at best.

But let's make 'whitey' out to be evil.

We see your game.

---

Just realised where I was, and this is not my living room.

Apologies.

One of my great grandfathers fell at Neuve Chapelle. He has no known grave and is recorded on a memorial at Le Touret. Just up the road is a rather splendid circular CWGC memorial commemorating over 4 1/2 thousand Indian soldiers and labourers. It just doesn't seem to make sense that, there, the CWGC has done a magnificent job, yet elsewhere a different approach is down to racism.
Is it just me that feels that the industry that had grown up around diversity and inclusion is creating greater rifts than ever before?

Mr Lammy and his friends must have been horrified at the 40 year long neglect of the Zehrendorf Indian Cemetery (South of Berlin) by the CWGC. Mind you the fact it was in the middle of a GSFG driver training area might have had something to do with it. There again, they probably don't even know it exists!

This cemetery, and the French one adjoining it, contain the remains of WW1 colonial soldiers who were held in the POW camp nearby. A separate section of this camp contained around 4000 Muslem POWs, the facilities including the first mosque built in Germany.
May be if BRIXMIS had been informed they would have been glad to make the odd site visit, to pay their respects of course?

One of my great grandfathers fell at Neuve Chapelle. He has no known grave and is recorded on a memorial at Le Touret. Just up the road is a rather splendid circular CWGC memorial commemorating over 4 1/2 thousand Indian soldiers and labourers. It just doesn't seem to make sense that, there, the CWGC has done a magnificent job, yet elsewhere a different approach is down to racism.
Is it just me that feels that the industry that had grown up around diversity and inclusion is creating greater rifts than ever before?
People stirring the pot now would probably regard any sort of remembrance as ' glorifying war'?

What, like the thousands of Asian (Indian and even Chinese) names on graves in Flanders? On the South Downs above Brighton there is a Chattri where the bodies of Indian troops who died of wounds in the hospitals set up for them in the town. All of their names are inscribed on the memorial. How about the many thousands of white troops who have no known grave, or the ones marked 'a soldier known unto God'. This has all been kicked off by David Lammy who is stirring the sh!t to score political points. Whilst I already had a low opinion of Lammy, to use our war dead to pursue a BLM agenda is despicable and marks a new low for the man - particularly as he has never served.
David Lammy - may the fleas of a thousand camels infest his armpits.

Awol

LE
By the standards of today, some things that took place or were done were indeed "wrong" or "unacceptable", but that's judging by what is believed by many today.
I’m certainly not aiming this at you by any means, but I’ve always thought that’s a spurious argument. It is equally likely that things that happen today were totally unacceptable or wrong by the standards of the past. Just how arrogant must modern society have to be to have the nerve to say that we are right and our predecessors were so wrong?

Last edited: