• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Commandos marine - France

Having happened across this video:

Envoye Special Forces France Commandos Marines 1/3 - Vidéo Dailymotion

Can anyone explain why the DS are wearing British DPM uniforms, it would appear that they are part for the rig for 'badged' members of this unit. As it's not something I would have expected from the French forces least of all their navy.

I'm sure that the question will attract some infantile French bashing comments but if anyone knows the history I am genuinely interested.

Having happened across this video:

Envoye Special Forces France Commandos Marines 1/3 - Vidéo Dailymotion

Can anyone explain why the DS are wearing British DPM uniforms, it would appear that they are part for the rig for 'badged' members of this unit. As it's not something I would have expected from the French forces least of all their navy.

I'm sure that the question will attract some infantile French bashing comments but if anyone knows the history I am genuinely interested.

New French Stuff pos? Same pat as Dutch stuff and our old stuff.

If it's the same documentary I'm thinking about, I saw it on TV5 a couple of years back, and wondered the same. I guessed that it was probably swapped for with their British counterparts and worn for the Gucci factor. Interesting documentary though!

DPM smocks are only worn by the DS of the Commando Course based in the Ecole des Fusiliers Marins et Commandos in Lorient as a way to set them apart from the trainees and they only do during the course itself.

Wearing the DPM Smock is also a way of remembering the fact that the Free French "originals" from this units were trained by the Brits in Achnacarry in 1942.

Other members of the Commandos Marine do not wear uniforms in DPM pattern.

The GIGN has also worn DPM pattern uniforms in the past when operating on its own in France; when abroad they wear CCE French camouflage for obvious reasons.

De-activated and ancient weapons such as MAT 49 or even first generation FAMAS are used for the most physical parts of the different commando courses in order not to damage more modern weapons on the different assault courses and non-firing exercises.

I think such weapons are/were called "DP" in the Brit forces (Drill Purpose)

Firstly I must congratulate my countryman "Fantassin" on their extremely eloquent and accurate answer. As for the MAT-49 sub-machine gun, to the best of my knowledge whilst it may be used for training purposes it is highly unlikely as it has been steadily phased out since 1979 being replaced by the FAMAS F1. Saying that MAT-49's were in the hands of the "rebels" during the 2011 Libyan conflict.

MAT-49s have been phased out from all official services in France; they were replaced by Beretta M12S in Police service, MP-5 and UMP in Gendarmerie service and by the FAMAS in the armed forces (except SF, they use HK 416s, G-36 or for some situations, MP-5s).

Alsacien

MIA
Firstly I must congratulate my countryman "Fantassin" on their extremely eloquent and accurate answer. As for the MAT-49 sub-machine gun, to the best of my knowledge whilst it may be used for training purposes it is highly unlikely as it has been steadily phased out since 1979 being replaced by the FAMAS F1. Saying that MAT-49's were in the hands of the "rebels" during the 2011 Libyan conflict.

Exactly how much knowledge does the average French granny have about sub-machine guns :?

DPM smocks are only worn by the DS of the Commando Course based in the Ecole des Fusiliers Marins et Commandos in Lorient as a way to set them apart from the trainees and they only do during the course itself.

Wearing the DPM Smock is also a way of remembering the fact that the Free French "originals" from this units were trained by the Brits in Achnacarry in 1942.

Other members of the Commandos Marine do not wear uniforms in DPM pattern.

The GIGN has also worn DPM pattern uniforms in the past when operating on its own in France; when abroad they wear CCE French camouflage for obvious reasons.
Many thanks

Your knowledge in incorrect ,Fact , MAT49`s were used in the eighties and nineties for training in sea and muddy conditions , there all de classed arms and could not be fired , as I said before it saved ******* up a good Famas.

Your knowledge in incorrect ,Fact , MAT49`s were used in the eighties and nineties for training in sea and muddy conditions , there all de classed arms and could not be fired , as I said before it saved ******* up a good Famas.
A "Good Famas" surely a contradiction in terms ?

Keep in mind the FAMAS has now been in service for 33 year with little improvement (the INF version only adds sighting aids but does not correct the deficiencies of the rifle itself)....and that a program to replace it is currently underway.

I thought that as I written it, do you think they are really that bad ?, say compared with an SA80 which has not been without major issues? septic M4`s are probably the best / most proven in my opinion.

The FAMAS is now well past its sell by date; they are worst weapons around but it is now in need of a replacement which should be either the HK 416, the FNH SCAR or the Beretta ARX-160. That is if money is available, of course.....

Latest Threads