Commando who fought off 70 Taliban in Afghan is honoured

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Commando who fought off 70 Taliban in Afghanistan is honoured in secret
    By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
    Last Updated: 1:56am GMT 22/03/2008

A British commando has secretly received one of the highest decorations for bravery for tackling 70 Taliban fighters after two colleagues were killed during an ambush.

The sergeant, who cannot be named to protect his identity, was part of a 16-man team of Special Forces conducting a "snatch operation" to capture four Taliban leaders near Sangin in the north of the British zone in Afghanistan.

The firefight took place on June 27 2006, but the award of a Military Cross has only just been made because medals for special forces soldiers are treated separately for security reasons.

The Special Boat Service team had grabbed the Taliban they were sent in to collect and were on their way back to base, but were ambushed by a force of 70 Taliban who destroyed one of their vehicles. They were forced to flee the vehicles and became pinned down in an irrigation ditch
    More on the link
  2. Much respect, that man.
  3. It sounds like an epic battle.
  4. I doff my cap to the man.... well deserved.
  5. Raises a good point, actually - how many special forces blokes are we losing? How many have died already? The figures are never revealed!
  6. and TCH denies another the Medal of Honor? What a complete and utter CNUT! I am gobsmacked that a Politico would do that - even the Aussies gave one of their bods a VC eventually.
  7. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Good drills & well done!
  8. " The 13 fit men not only managed to hold off the Taliban until a Gurkha platoon arrived"

Caught between Boats and Johnnie G... UNLUCKY!
  9. Hoon is such a cunt, how is it up to him to decide how brave people are?
  10. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

1. BZ that man.

2. Only an MC ?

3. Why are we so forking coy about allowing Foreign Decorations ?
  11. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Good drills & well done Commando.
  12. Well done that man there
  13. So many Hero's, so few medals!

Although many see it as their job!

Total respect!
  14. Having just read The Barefoot Soldier, an account of the action which resulted in Johnson Beharry being awarded the VC, I was surprised to find that he is just an ordinary guy placed in a dreadfull situation. His actions, regarded by everyone as heroic, and so it should be, were regarded by him as only what his comrades would expect, which is typical of the mindset of the British Soldier.
    We can all sleep soundly with these guys on watch.
  15. Glass dutifully raised!