• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Commando who fought off 70 Taliban in Afghan is honoured

Commando who fought off 70 Taliban in Afghanistan is honoured in secret
By Thomas Harding, Defence Correspondent
Last Updated: 1:56am GMT 22/03/2008

A British commando has secretly received one of the highest decorations for bravery for tackling 70 Taliban fighters after two colleagues were killed during an ambush.

The sergeant, who cannot be named to protect his identity, was part of a 16-man team of Special Forces conducting a "snatch operation" to capture four Taliban leaders near Sangin in the north of the British zone in Afghanistan.

The firefight took place on June 27 2006, but the award of a Military Cross has only just been made because medals for special forces soldiers are treated separately for security reasons.

advertisement
The Special Boat Service team had grabbed the Taliban they were sent in to collect and were on their way back to base, but were ambushed by a force of 70 Taliban who destroyed one of their vehicles. They were forced to flee the vehicles and became pinned down in an irrigation ditch
More on the link
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2008/03/22/wafg322.xml

S

Screw_The_Nut

Raises a good point, actually - how many special forces blokes are we losing? How many have died already? The figures are never revealed!

and TCH denies another the Medal of Honor? What a complete and utter CNUT! I am gobsmacked that a Politico would do that - even the Aussies gave one of their bods a VC eventually.

" The 13 fit men not only managed to hold off the Taliban until a Gurkha platoon arrived"

Caught between Boats and Johnnie G... UNLUCKY!

TheSpecialOne said:
and TCH denies another the Medal of Honor? What a complete and utter CNUT! I am gobsmacked that a Politico would do that - even the Aussies gave one of their bods a VC eventually.
Hoon is such a cunt, how is it up to him to decide how brave people are?

Good drills & well done Commando.

Well done that man there

Having just read The Barefoot Soldier, an account of the action which resulted in Johnson Beharry being awarded the VC, I was surprised to find that he is just an ordinary guy placed in a dreadfull situation. His actions, regarded by everyone as heroic, and so it should be, were regarded by him as only what his comrades would expect, which is typical of the mindset of the British Soldier.
We can all sleep soundly with these guys on watch.

Bravo_Bravo said:
" The 13 fit men not only managed to hold off the Taliban until a Gurkha platoon arrived"

Reminds me of Sam Jackson's line from Die Hard III:

"You are about to have a Very Bad Day!" :twisted:

Bloody Good Drills. Respect. :salut:

The Telegraph said:
Commando who fought off 70 Taliban in Afghanistan is honoured in secret
Well done that man!

TheSpecialOne said:
And TCH denies another the Medal of Honor? What a complete and utter CUNT! I am gobsmacked that a Politico would do that - even the Aussies gave one of their bods a VC eventually.
I can only guess that they're wary of another SAS situation re. the deluge of publicity and books a few years back. Which is just moronic really. Quite how allowing it but then having it presented at a private ceremony - stick them on a plane to Washington, quick private ceremony, back on to the plane to the UK and then a press release once they're out of the country - is meant to threaten things by 'drawing too much attention' is beyond me.

Bravo_Bravo said:
The Telegraph said:
The 13 fit men not only managed to hold off the Taliban until a Gurkha platoon arrived.
My thoughts exactly. Although for some reason I can't seem to work up much sympathy. :)

Well too stick up for tch it was on advice from commanders .To be honest you think a poltician would turn down publicity which would result from heroic brits pulling yanks out of the sticky stuff.
Didn't they get a unit citation for that action in the end? Very well done.

Wonder if the qm tried to bill the bloke who lost his arm for the watch? :twisted: