Commando tanky?

Discussion in 'RAC' started by mcreature, Mar 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. About 10 years ago,bloke I worked with,an ex panzer chappie, claimed to have done the AACC.(as a serving tanky)
    Any reason to believe this?

2. Never personally heard of a tankie commando unit. It was my understanding that unless you have a justification to do the course ie in the RE they have 59 sqn, soon to be 24 cdo regt then you wont get on the course.

3. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I believe QDG provide the Armoured recce for the RM
    HCR provide it for 16 AA and they do P coy so it might be QDG manage to get some on the AACC
    IIRC correctly at Windsor in 2004 there was a HCR lad who was attached to the RM and had his green lid and dagger on so it must happen

4. i stand corrected then:p

5. I believe The Royal Yeomanry also have the chance to do AACC due to role, not sure if anyones done it though

6. A couple of lads at 1 RTR have done the course, whether or not they are transferees in i dont know, but was on OPTAG last year with them.

7. 2rtr also had some guys do the cse and also the french job too.

8. LD currently support 3 Cdo Bde, not QDG who are now in Germany (although they did during OP TELIC (1)). Not sure if any LD soldiers routinely do the AACC.

When 3 Cdo Bde require armour (i.e. CR2) it is re-grouped on an ad hoc basis and so they is no commando trained/designated armoured regt/sqn

Individual RAC officers and soldiers may have done ithe AACC for certain E2 ERE postings (or just blagged their way onto the course and passed).

9. Was given the "you can be a Para/Cdo in the RTR" spiel, on the grounds that elements of 1RTR would need to deploy with 16AA and 3 Cdo Bde, and so you could elect/be forced to do P-Coy and/or AACC at some point.

10. Please don't tell me Maroon or Green lids are worn with Black Coveralls!

11. Yes some LD do get dicked to go on the AACC.

Sorry, did I say "get dicked"? I meant, "volunteer from a cast of thousands"...

12. Unsure tankieboy, but I'd imagine it works along the same lines as the Riflemen who have passed AACC.
    i.e. "I've got my own green beret thanks very much, so I'll just wear the dagger if it's all the same to you."
    Just replace green with black.

13. The Queens regt 3rd btn,regulary sent a C/Sgt on a two year posting to Lympstone teaching Infantry tactics,this was in the late 80s early 90s they came back with there dagger up

14. Discipline wrote.

The Queens regt 3rd btn,regulary sent a C/Sgt on a two year posting to Lympstone teaching Infantry tactics,this was in the late 80s early 90s they came back with there dagger up[/quote]

But he wasn't a Panzer pilot.I'm aware of the various cap badges that may attend the course(RE,RA,REME,SIGS and foreign nats on exchange etc)but just thought it odd for a tankie to need to go on it.
    By the replies,maybe he wasn't the fat lying fatherless that I reckoned he was.
    Cheers.

15. I always thought the HCR supported 3 CDO and 16 Air Asslt.

The QDG supported them on Telic, and were given the Bde flash,and nick named the "Commando Tanks", particulary good work around Um Qasr I belive.

I know a fair few who have got on the course and then not served with 3 Cdo, and we only have a few spots there. If the course is half empty, I am sure they will fill it up with all comers.