commando or para sappers ... fitness ?

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by skinnyjoe, Aug 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. im in the final stages of my recruitment (fingers crossed if i get in) i wana opt for the pcoy or aacc , i know now my fitness is probably not good enough to start the courses but my question is would basic traning put me into a basic level of fitness suitable for starting the courses ? thanks
  2. Focus on getting through training first. You will discover while doing phase 1 and 2 training if your cut out for p coy or aacc imho.
  3. Fitness is only 50% of it mate, all depends if you want it enough, hope that still runs true nowadays.
  4. If you like sex with girls, go Para, with leetle boys... commando.
  5. When I did my training in Gib bks 15 years ago(i feel old)there was extra training in the evening for the blokes who wanted to go to 9 or 59 sqn.

IMO the basic fitness training is not enough and you would need to put some extra time in to it your self.
  6. AACC for me then! :D
  7. The sqn bummed you then T_C_M?
  8. which one there are quite a few within the corps :? :? :? :?
  9. If you had to go for the para do you need to be running sub 9:40 for 1.5 or the normal engineer run time?
  10. BFT times are at best a very rough indication of readiness for Para selection (the 'B' stands for basic, after all).
    You will probably already have found out that running with equipment is quite a different experience (take a look at the "airborne shuffle" used by guys with loaded bergens on their backs - different technique from bounding out an 8.30 mile and a half).
    A respectable BFT time is a start, but only a start. Stamina and determination count a lot more. The physical fitness can be trained in, but mental toughness is more of a "given".
    Without getting over-dramatic, If you've got it in your head, heart and guts you're already half way there.
  11. Upper body/arms don't get much beasting in Basic. Extra work needed here I would suggest for the Log and Stretcher races.
  12. Really? :D