Commando Magazine

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by msr, Aug 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Has anyone got an old copy of Commando magazine, one with dashing Tommies giving Fritz a good pasting?

Happy to swap for a small donation to Hols4Heroes.

2. Google Commando Comics,Simples, I just did and now going to buy a load
  3. They still sell them in WH Smiths!
  4. msr

msr LE

This fortnight's one is all about the Spetznaz though :(
  5. any particular number or just one where the hun takes a lickin.
  6. msr

msr LE

Just one where Jerry gets a pasting. It is for a wind up on a German friend. Plenty of 'Achtung' and 'Gott in Himmel'

7. Sorry, no.

But I'm sure it was an issue of Commando that made me really think about ethics for the first time (I must have been about 7). The issue revolved around a Pole who, for understandable reasons, had a total downer on Germans and would kill them at every opportunity. He changed his mind after getting wounded whilst wiping a Jerry platoon. The Leutnant told the Pole that he felt like killing him for what he'd done to his men, but honour forbade him.

I also remember it because it introduced me to the Molotov Cocktail :twisted:
  8. Your best idea is Ebay, in the past I've got huge boxes of old ones for really cheap.

The new ones are poor I reckon, apart from reprints of old ones. Not good artwork, and awful stories, I read one recently about a group of Paras who travelled through time and had to fight dinosaurs......
  9. So Who won? :roll:
  10. I have the following options for you MSR:

'The Black Eagle' - dirty Nazi Luftwaffe pilot gets his comeuppance.
    'The Death Squad' - SS bar stewards get wiped out by solo British Officer (token good German General)
    'Spring the Trap' - SS get hammered by Commandos
    'Secret Enemy' - Resistance traitor gets wacked by US/UK pair.

All front covers above show Germans in full colour so should be suitable for your purposes. Lots of 'Achtung' 'Himmel''Scwein' etc.
  11. 'themanwho' on here has a mighty fine selection in his littlest room. I read the one about the paras and the dinosaurs last time I was at his house.

12. Not a proper Officer Training Manual unless it says somewhere "Achtung, Spitfeuer"
  13. I did. Pooves, all of them.
  14. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Bugger! I've just given away three of the 'soft-hardback' collections of Commando, and War stories too.