Pingu55

Clanker
If you've got civvie quals, why go for RA? All the Army Commando units have attached ranks - I was REME and did 4 years with 29, serving time with every battery (although most of my time was at Poole). Get a good trade training at Lyneham and you can volunteer for the Green Machine at the end of your course.
Thanks for your reply, how was your time there? To be honest I'd like to spend time at the 'sharp end' of the army first as I plan on making a career out of it and then think about more technical trades later on, I don't think my single A level would count for much anyway!

Thanks for your reply, how was your time there? To be honest I'd like to spend time at the 'sharp end' of the army first as I plan on making a career out of it and then think about more technical trades later on, I don't think my single A level would count for much anyway!
You would be surprised - GCSEs plus an A Level would put you in very good stead and probably better educated than many of your peers! Don't forget that the Commando Gunners are not the only Army Commando unit - there is a Royal Engineers Commando and (I believe still) the Commando Air Squadron has an Army element.

The difference between going in as a 'teeth' arm (Gunners, Engineers etc) and an attached rank is that you would only tend to do a fixed tour (in the case of REME a maximum of 4 years). That said, nothing stops you doing more than one tour, or extending. I thoroughly enjoyed my time with the Brigade, learned a hell of a lot and worked with some very good people.

Latest Threads