COMMANDO DAGGER???

Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
Just wondering, left the forces in 2001 done 4 years and in that time passed the All Arms Commando Course, now I've rejoined but a non Commando unit. Should I wear the dagger on my uniform?
It is something that I was proud of, but 8 years out of the forces is there a rule or something about wearing it??
 
#4
manonamission, first of all congrats on rejoining.
Bad news, I am sure you are not rpt not allowed to put your dagger back on your arm without re-doing the AACC (not the all arms chefs course or all arms canoeing etc) just for the simple reason that what you were originally taught has been amended (ie tactics, fire and manouevre, pairs etc). (Point to note just because you leave the Brigade if you still wear the dagger you are still expected to maintain the standard of fitness to be able to pass the Commando Tests should you be recalled)
It would, I presume follow if you were sniper, skill at arms etc who also wear a distguishing badge would have to re-qualify
Sorry matey, but seek guidance first

HH
 
#7
Definately a fair comment, I don't actually think doing it a 2nd time round would or could be an option of mine.
Seeking guidence is what I think i'll do but where? asking someone in a non commando unit would be useless and contacting 3 commando brigade about wearing the daggers? Seems a bit to much.
Anyone know someone whose been in my situation? Or is there a main Military set of rules?
 
#8
The badge has nothing to do with it friend. It is a question of being current and qualified.

Would you accept a former SNCO Anti-Tank instructor on MILAN who rejoins and is posted to a JAVELIN post without requalifying

HH
 
#9
As a comparison - if you have earned your WINGS as in Para - I think (?) you are allowed to wear them in a NON-Airborne Unit - subject to a polite request...?
 
#10
manonamission said:
Definately a fair comment, I don't actually think doing it a 2nd time round would or could be an option of mine.
Seeking guidence is what I think i'll do but where? asking someone in a non commando unit would be useless and contacting 3 commando brigade about wearing the daggers? Seems a bit to much.
Anyone know someone whose been in my situation? Or is there a main Military set of rules?
All RM personnel that re-join have to re-do the Commando tests

HH
 
#11
Pleae guys, only post if you know ACTUAL FACTS !!!!


The Commando Dagger is a qualification badge that can be worn in perpetually, in other words no matter what unit you are in now you can wear it, no one can say a dickie bird, the only thing you can't wear is the green lid as you have to be serving in a commando unit.
 
#12
wellyhead said:
Pleae guys, only post if you know ACTUAL FACTS !!!!


The Commando Dagger is a qualification badge that can be worn in perpetually, in other words no matter what unit you are in now you can wear it, no one can say a dickie bird, the only thing you can't wear is the green lid as you have to be serving in a commando unit.
One does "very well" and yourself?
 
#15
End of day theres plenty of blokes cuttin about the army in non-airborne units with wings on their arm who haven't done a jump in years, but their still eligible to wear their wings as they've earned them. Why would it be any different with the dagger? You've earned it, put it on.
 
#16
hairyhandbag said:
wellyhead said:
Pleae guys, only post if you know ACTUAL FACTS !!!!


The Commando Dagger is a qualification badge that can be worn in perpetually, in other words no matter what unit you are in now you can wear it, no one can say a dickie bird, the only thing you can't wear is the green lid as you have to be serving in a commando unit.
One does "very well" and yourself?
From your sig and previous posts I am guessing you are not a pongo, so I will give you a benefit of the doubt, however in the army you do not need to re-qualify

The following info is from AGC Dress Regs, best I could find in short notice off armynet, but its the same regs across the army

a. See Mat Regs for all detail. No badge is to be worn by any member of the Corps unless he/she has the authority of his/her Commanding Officer.
b. In the AGC the only qualification badges to be worn on No 10 Dress are those worn ‘in perpetuity’ (ie once qualified, always qualified) ie Army Flying Badge, Parachute (or Parachute with wings or SAS badge), Commando Badge, Army 100 and TA 50.

Reference: Mat Regs Vol 3 Pam 15 Sect 3.
 
#19
hairyhandbag said:
All RM personnel that re-join have to re-do the Commando tests

HH
|To prove they are still fit enough! The dagger means 'Commando Trained' so if you are a trained Commando, no matter when, you can wear the badge. So that is anyone from WW2, to the present day.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

New Posts