"Commando" Comics

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by roseandpose, Nov 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone remember those A5 sized adventure stories that used to cost about 30p from WH Smith's?

They were normally WW2 based, but you would get the odd one set in a more contemporary conflict.

The germans used to die with an AARRRGGGHHH!!, whilst our yellow friends seemed to prefer AAAIIIEEEEE!!

They included such quotable lines as:

Gott in Himmel, Spitfeuer!

Eat lead, Fritz!

By Shinto!

2. Yep, and they`re still on sale at a newsagents in my town, about a £1 now though :D

3. Yep, they are a pound a go :(

But they are still good!!!

4. Really? I must investigate (saddo).

Are they just reprinting the old ones, or these set in Fallujah!?

5. if you want to be really sad you can buy a compilation of the best ones in a new hard back annual! called the "dirty dozen " available from the "illustrated novel" section of waterstones or similar[for you tommy the war is over][actung,apitfire][banzai]...oh god my misspent youth! we used to call them training manuals i recall........

6. bought it about six months ago, it sits next to the toilet. visitors are often heard flying the ME109 toilet seat, going "dakakakakakaka!!!!!" "britischer pig dog!" "schnell schnell!" and "achtung spitfeuer! aaaaaaarrrrrrgghh!!!"

classic, and only a tenner :)

now looking for Warlord to do the same thing, so we can read more tales about the filthy Nazis being beaten by our brave tommies.

7. When I was a kid there used to be a shop near where I lived where you could excahnge these comics for 5p a go. Many a saturday morning spent browsing. They also used to have pictures of 70s/80s footballers on the back with some very dodgy hair-dos!

8. Anyone remember the "Victor" comic? They used to do a front/back cover on medal-winners. All true stuff and I actually got to meet a WW1 DSO who'd featured in one issue. I was gobsmacked when I was introduced to him as a young 'un and so was he when I told him about the comic! :)

9. There is a great foreword in the compilation book. It claims that generations of subbies have been educated by Seniors leaving relevant copies around. Subbie reads case study of arrogant/lazy/over-keen lieutnant, recognises parallels and reforms.
    Apocryphal, I think, but a good story.

10. Yes, the subbie always reformed in Commando comics...or died horribly. Reformed subbies died bravely.

Commando were really good, but Battle Picture War Library comics were also ace. Victor...what Friday was for, especially the true war stories. I think the victor had more to do with my joining up than either the USLO or the ACIO!!

11. i still have a load up in the loft, Victor & Warlord. as well as *Cough* Beano and Dandy....

i say it gave me balanced outlook on life, where else could you go from killing folks to eating cow pies.

I remember a story a multi national sqn of harriers, fighting the good fight!

i think i might stick them on fleabay. after re-reading them of course

12. Alf Tupper: legend?

13. As well as the arrogant -> reformed subbie, the other great stereotype was the "Good German", usually wehrmacht or fallschirmjaeger (often called Hans for some reason) who would save the old man/women and children from being butchered by evil SS types

after arrest/beating by his own side, he would escape and join the British / French resistance and make friends with an Englander called Peter

SS types get wiped out, Hans and Peter walk off into the sunset

Why was this such a common theme esp in later Commando comics as shurely IT NEVER HAPPENED

14. Schoolboy error. Surely you mean ze?

15. Other great stereotypes were:
    1) Lying, side-switiching, cowardly Italian
    2) Hard-as-nails salt-of-the-earth Sgt. As also seen in Flashman Afghanistan book
    3) Interchangeable, 2 dimensional Japanese. ('Nips' or 'yellow bellies')