Commando comics, did I do good?

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Croque_Monsieur, Jul 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. While the wife was trawling a clothes shop for the little nipper I wandered across the way to a charity shop to look at the books. Tucked away amongst the Mills&Boon I found a pack of six "Commando" comics for 50 shiny pence :D

Upon handing over my pocket money the old dear behind the till says "oh, I'll have to bring more in", "more in?" says I, "yes, I have an entire box full at home" says she. This was in the town were the inlaws live so I have arranged for pa-inlaw to pop his head through the door regularly to nab all the packs he can get.

Am I on to a good thing?
  2. I have a box full of them at home too. Also have the 3 new compilation books - all great reads
  3. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

You did great, but maybe you should tell me where thius shop is, and what town.
    We used to have a junk shop here, before they all became 'antique emporioums' that sold those comics, along with other sorts. Shame it's gone now.
    I trawl seaside shops, and any old shops that sell tat, for those comics. Great stuff, it's where we all learned German.
  4. I had a massive box of old commando comics (a good couple of hundred). Some priced up in old pence and some in new. Foolishly in my misguided youth I sold the box for a fiver. I didn't realise the sense of keeping these for my later years or to give to one of HLM Jnrs.
  5. Awww - well done you. I'd buy them like a flash if I saw them.

There was one on Stanley Hollis, the only VC winner on D Day, and from our TA coy, that was mounted in our old TA centre (named after him). 'Take that jerry!' Thought bubbles - [this grenade'll fix you Fritzy!] etc. Top stuff!
  6. A little linky

You like?
  7. Oh no, I'll never talk I tell you, never! Not even the comfy chair will break me! :wink:
  8. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Then it will have to be the N.A.F.F.I coffee! You were warned.
  9. etc..

Has anyone else just thought that they ought to check that the box is still at home and full, in case you mother has been 'recycling' them at the charity shop?
  10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Ah, those lovely shilling comics. We learned German and Japanese from them, and they were passed around between friends the way schoolchildren share their spliffs today.
  11. Donner und Blitzen!!
  12. naa they'll be no good. You can't lure young boys with them anymore. Next time buy a PS3 and some coca cola spiked with sleeping pills.