Commando - Chris Terill

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by SamE, Oct 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently finished reading this book and I have to say, it was brilliant. I'd recommend it anyone, even if you don't plan on joining the RMs.

Has anyone else read this? If so, what do you think?
  2. Seen the series on TV. Was quite good and I liked the fact that he got stuck in with the Recruits, instead of just standing by and watching/filming.

I also seen another documenty he done recently, where he lay on his belt-buckle in the path of a huge fckign storm with a camera. Lunatic.
  3. Yeah, I thought it was good how he got stuck in too. Aparently he's in the Guinness World Records books for being the oldest person ever to receive a green beret.
  4. I didn't see the series but did read the book a couple of years ago and thought it was an excellent read. I couldn't put it down.
  5. I’ve read Chris Terrill’s book and watched his excellent documentary too. All’s I can say is that I’m in complete and utter awe of the man and what he has managed to achieve at such a late age. I passed the Combat Infantryman’s Course at the age of 31 at Catterick ITC, and I’ve got to admit that at times I found it a struggle. So for this guy to go through the Commando Course at 55, which is a hell of a lot harder and more intense – well I can only doff my cap at him and say ‘Well done Chris’.

He accompanied a troop of young lads and was picking up multiple injuries on a daily basis, and he was quite literally old enough to be their granddad in some cases. It just makes you wonder what he could have achieved if had set his mind on a military career whilst still in his twenties. Heaps, I dare say - but then again we wouldn’t have had the privilege of sharing in his wonderful story.

I’d imagine he’s a bit of a legend down in the ‘commando country’ now, and rightly so. He deserves all the success that’s come his way and I’ve got nothing but total respect and admiration for him.

The guy has raised the bar and shown us what can be achieved with grit and imagination; he dared and he succeeded.
  6. The guy has been a triathelite for years, he isn't your average 'fat civvy', but it was still a class effort!
  7. Saw this thread yesterday, remembered the ITV programme and picked up the DVD today - "Commando - On the Front Line" , (£12 paid). The 55 year old Commando documentary is one of the bonus tracks in a two disk set. Chris trained from scratch with 924 troop , living with them, as one of the blokes, not using Hotels apparently, and doing practically everything CTC recruits did, aside from firing. The series follows Booties from civvy street to front line Afghanistan. Excellent and inspiring testimony to Chris and to the lads involved. Just my two penneth.
  8. Don't forget he was also engaged to Heather Mills. The Commando Course was probably a bit of light relief after that.
  9. I would imagine the training team would of booted some arses on the runs though, I could just imagine it:

"Keep up you idle f uckers,there's a 55 year old man in front of you!"
  10. I watched the series with total awe. Total respect for Chris who managed to gain a Green Beret.

I remember seeing an article shortly after the series finished, ( see here ) It's a good account of the young Marine, 'Sparky' who died in an RPG attack, how he came through training etc.