• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Commander Dick promoted!!!

Commander Cressida Dick, who was in charge of the operation in which Jean Charles De Menezes was shot has been promoted!!. God help us all..

No link yet, just off the wire..

Why should the Met be different to the Army? How many utter arrses have you seen made up for fcuking up??

Frigging name alone is a joke. 8O :?

It looks like the institution is protecting its own, despite the magnitude of her failure. Is the price in terms of the loss of public support really acceptable?

From: http://www.bawp.org/New/Documents/AWCressidaDick.htm

Cressida Dick was born, brought up and educated in Oxford. After leaving University she travelled and worked in a fish and chip shop and in a large accountancy firm.

In 1983 she joined the Metropolitan Police serving as a Constable, Sergeant and Inspector in Central, South West and South East London.

In 1993 she was seconded on to the staff of the Accelerated Promotion Course at Bramshill. In 1995 she transferred to Thames Valley Police as Superintendent Operations at Oxford and subsequently spent three years as Area Commander at Oxford.

After attending the Strategic Command Course, Cressida took a career break and studied full time for an M. Phil. In Criminology.

In June 2001 she became a Commander with the Metropolitan Police. Cressida’s policing interests include public order, hostage negotiation (she trained as a negotiator in 1989), leadership, police ethics and diversity.

In her spare time Cressida spends as much time as possible in the countryside enjoying walking, running, gardening and various country sports. She tries to keep fit and enjoys playing squash and tennis.

Holidays are spent coastal and hill walking in Cornwall, Ireland and Scotland with friends and two energetic dogs.

Another highly qualified waste of space.....................

A PC promotion? Can't be, she's a DAC - ho ho

No mention of a fella. Whats the betting that she's a Subbuteo Player?

The boss at my old nick was on a course with her (not sue which one but he's a negotiator too so probably that one), he's a good boss and one for the boys so i believe him when he says he wasn't very impressed.

Seems like another one who says the right words and does the right degree but knows little about the real world of policing on he ground.

She was in charge at Oxford when I worked there. I have to say that I thought she was one of the best senior officers I worked with/for.
She was always marked for higher things but most people I know who worked with her regarded her quite highly.
Yes she can and does play the political game but then again don't all senior officers Police and Military?
I wonder what many of us would have done if put in the same situation and under the same pressure she was on the day of shooting?

However I have to say that her promotion is rather too soon for my liking from a PR point of view. As proved by some of the informed comments on this thread.

mukhabarat2003 said:

In June 2001 she became a Commander with the Metropolitan Police. Cressida’s policing interests include public order, hostage negotiation (she trained as a negotiator in 1989), leadership, police ethics and diversity.

I guess the irony is lost on the Met.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
FaceLikeAPingPongBall said:
Studied full time for an MPhil - thick cnuts PhD!
Not at all like a P/T PhD then?

Mr_Fingerz said:
FaceLikeAPingPongBall said:
Studied full time for an MPhil - thick cnuts PhD!
Not at all like a P/T PhD then?
I expect she thought it through very carefully. After all, who would want to be Doctor Dick? Being DAC Dick is quite a bit funny...

So if you are a senior woman officer and you stuff it up big time, the punishment is promotion. Had she been an ethnic minortiy she would have been decorated too...yeah, yeah INCOMING!