Command Tasks

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by NewRecruit90, Aug 15, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I wasn't in the OTC or any sort of cadet/scout group and have never really done 'command tasks'. I know people will say 'think on your feet, use common sense, if you want to be an officer you should be able to do this etc' but, I would like to be as prepared as possible so, does anyone have any advice on how I can get some practical hands on experience of these before I attend briefing? my friends probably won't want to gather in a field and practice...

Thanks in advance.

P.S. When doing these at briefing I will ask 'Has anyone done this before'.
  2. Pay out to go on one of those middle manager experience days? Seen a couple of them advertised in the past - companies pay for their future execs to be run through the mill a bit.....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. THINK before you act. Think about it again, then brief your team clearly, confidently and concisely. Nominate a time keeper. Lead from just behind the front; don't be the man holding the plank, but make sure you can control what is going on at the important point. DO NOT let anyone else take over, if anyone tries to shout you down, utterly crow them down and let them know who is in charge. Don't wobble under pressure; if it goes wrong, start again. Always have a plan B in your back pocket.

Remember - be the leader; not just a group member.

*EDIT* Whoops! Wrong account! :p
    • Like Like x 1
  4. And remember, it's a *command* task, not a command *task*. Don't get caught up in doing.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Watch the apprentice with Alan Sugar....
  6. Check your PMs
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Thanks all, very helpful. Especially Old Rat for taking the time to PM me, much appreciated!
  8. When I did an insight course it was impossible to sit back and think about the task at hand as everyone else in the team was splurting out suggestions left right and centre, consequently it appeared to the Staff taking it that I wasn't putting in any input which wasn't a good look.
  9. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

There really isn't a good way to practise these without getting a group of friends together in a field with some red and green scaffolding. Essentially they are a test of practical problem solving ability, together with your ability to get the group to listen to what you have to say and act on it. You will get to do a couple of command tasks at the Briefing before you do one that really counts, so that should help you get your head round it. As a general point, it is good practical problem-solving ideas that the DS are looking for, not the ability to make noise and waffle, and they are well practised in spotting the difference.

But remember, most people who turn up at Westbury won't have done a command task before, and those that have will not have done one that is marked the same way that AOSB do it, so don't get too hung up about it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. I seem to recall doing command tasks at fam visits.
    • Like Like x 1

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Decide which of the team is most likely to give you trouble and smash him over the head with one of the poles. Next, stand on his inert and bloodied form and tell the rest of them that there's more where that came from and you're in charge.

Alternatively, pin your ears back at your briefing where you will be given the right advice, because that's what the briefing is for, and stop trying to ace the process by asking a load of strangers on a website who may or may not know what they're talking about, and who, at best, will provide conflicting or confusing advice or, at worst, will turn you into the sort of bluffing knut that the system is extremely adept at detecting and rejecting.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. 1. Get briefing from DS

2. Get everyone in a huddle or semi circle all facing you

3. Give your brief

4. Say, "Has anyone done this before"

5. The mouthy guy in the corner, give him a watch and tell him hes the time keeper.

6. Pick a 2ic (someone that looks fairly competent(

7. Execute the plan, remember "Less haste, more speed!"

8. Finish.
  13. TheresaMay

TheresaMay LE Moderator DirtyBAT

I remember my selection week well. The night before the command tasks and leaderless tasks most of the course were doing the usual - passing around the "pass-backs". So by the time it came to the ground, everyone pretty much knew the layout, and a general idea of the DS solution.

I chose not to bother with the pass-backs - it is after all, an assessment of your leadership - and not your memory.

Some pretty good advice already in the thread. Be careful with silencing some people though - especially if their idea is better than yours. Otherwise you'll get marked down for being too dominant.
    • Like Like x 1