Command tasks

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by warcorro, Sep 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to put together a session to get a team of people working together as a team and building leadership skills. I am thinking of command tasks, but dont know hot to set them up. Does anyone have a set of ideas for say six tasks? Or another activity that will do the same for approx 40 people? thankss

2. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

indoor or out? What kit you got? Water, walls or ditch to play with? Can they get wet?

3. It will be in Episkopi, cyprus during a TA camp. Can propbally get some standard kit from the res inf bn who are providing gen supt. Yes they can get wet. Not sure if there is asslt course or anything els useful there.

4. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

standard command task include such fun ones as

Build a raft, need life jackets.

Wall crossing. Not allowed to touch wall. Kit needed, poles to build A frame, rope.

Ditch crossing. Not allowed into ditch. Kit needed planks or poles preferably too short to reach completely, maybe a barrel or the like for use as a bridge support.

Water crossing. Not allowed into water. Similar to above

Object retrieval. Put ammo box in stream or bottom of ditch, to be recovered by squad., kit is planks, ropes etc. Especially fun if box is filled with rocks and thus much heavier than they expect!

ground crossing. Wide flat bit of ground to be crossed, not allowed to touch ground with anything other than tyres or sand bags. Kit needed 2 planks and 3 tyres or 3 planks and 4 tyres. distnace to be crossed should be shorter than total length of planks thus meaning that plank and tyre has to recovered and moved to front of group. (Fond memories of this one form BAOR in NBC suits in 30'+ heat with stretcher!)

Balloon burst. Several balloons either on ground or 10m out to sea. To be burst. Kit anything you want!

Other things to consider,

always better to have more kit than minimum that encourages thinking and different solutions.

Penalties for offences such as standing on ground, ie time penalty or is that team member eliminated.

Loads to carry, does the task end when all members across obsticle. An ammo box of "delicate radio parts" which can not be dropped is interested. For big and bulky a stretcher either with a weight on it or one of the team members.

5. If you have publisher available, PM me and Ill send you something

6. Try speaking to your nearest OTC. I am sure they will have a stock list of command tasks on file somewhere. You could also try getting in touch with your local Cadet Training Team (CTT).

7. In my early days with the RE, we were often given the task of getting a trailer over across a lake. Too junior to have my input heard, we never got much further than constructing a raft before the time came to strip it out. My solution (and I still stand by it) involved not only getting the trailer across and back in the designated time, but also a Land Rover - in fact this was key to the solution.