Command Task help

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by jac123, Mar 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all,
    I recently failed my main board and from my report it says that I showed limited pratical ability and basically cocked up the command tasks both leaderless and led. I would be very grateful if anyone could suggest any way that I can somehow practice or prepare for them for my second attempt. Are there any logic/problem solving books websites that people have used etc? Thanks very much.
  2. I chatted on the phone to the my sponsor who went through my report but yeh basically they said 'no evidence of pratical ability.' I'm definitely having another go in 6 months time, but obviously I need to be much better at the command tasks. It didn't come as a shock as I knew pretty much straight away that I was not vocal enough and my own led command task was not completed. I think I was too worried about suggesting an idea that was a bit ridiculous and I just let other people make suggestions, but having said that, the suggestions that others made in my group surprised me in that it would have taken me a while to think up their solution. Therefore I was hoping there would be some way to practice, and as a result be more confident and vocal at my second attempt! thanks for the help
  3. msr

msr LE

4. Isn't practical ability quite important for an Army Officer though? Should you really be trying to use books to pass/ prepare for a test if it just disguises something you are really bad at. Just a thought anyway
  5. You hav been found to lack Practical ability,
    What are you going to do when faced with a practical problem under pressure in Helmand?

- considering you wont be pulling out a Nirex, youll be relying on your inate ability?
  6. Don't get hung up on this. I didn't complete my led task (was only a few seconds away, though), and none of the others were completed either. I still passed. Best of luck with the re-try!
  7. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Showing 'no evidence' of practical ability is different to not actually having any. I would suggest this means that Jac123 needs to ensure that he speaks up more and gets more involved in the command tasks at his main board. From what he has written here, it may result from a lack of confidence.

But... you aren't going to learn this from reading books. I would suggest that involvement in team activities, outward bound and things of that sort are most likely to have a beneficial effect.