Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Coming back for a 2nd go at 29

The_Gatsby

Swinger
When I was 22 I applied and attended briefing however at briefing I was given what I seem to remember as grade 3 i.e. yeah you were alright, come back to main board in 6 months and see how you get on. In that time I got a decent job in civvy street so put the whole army thing on hold. At that time the limit for Sandhurst was 26. I've since discovered it's been raised to 28 years and 11 months and am considering applying.

I've been considering applying again as I've always kind of regretted not following through with main board (although at the time I don't think I was ready). I am 29 in 1 month almost to the day.

• Is there any chance of me being accepted at this age? By the time I apply again I will be over 28 years 11 months, probably by a couple of weeks if I get on with it.
  • Is 29 too old to be at Sandhust?
  • I presume I'll have to go through briefing/medicals again. No problem but just want to clarify that my previous application won't give me any extra advantage in terms of things I don't have to do again.
  • How is COVID affecting applications/recruitment? (loaded question as I am wondering if delays due to COVID mean my age won't be an issue)
Thanks for any advice you can give

. I've since discovered it's been raised to 28 years and 11 months and am considering applying.

I've been considering applying again as I've always kind of regretted not following through with main board (although at the time I don't think I was ready). I am 29 in 1 month almost to the day.

• Is there any chance of me being accepted at this age? By the time I apply again I will be over 28 years 11 months, probably by a couple of weeks if I get on with it.
  • I presume I'll have to go through briefing/medicals again. No problem but just want to clarify that my previous application won't give me any extra advantage in terms of things I don't have to do again.
  • How is COVID affecting applications/recruitment? (loaded question as I am wondering if delays due to COVID mean my age won't be an issue)
Thanks for any advice you can give
What do you think?

Don’t you actually have to start Day 1 by that age? The application process could take a lot longer than that, recruitment is being run by the inept remember. Join the AR, commission in the AR, transfer to Regular

I’ve recently passed Main Board and I’m due to start this September. I’m 32 now so yes, you can get age waivers that allow entry above the age limit but they are treated on a case by case basis. I have previously served so that did help my cause somewhat. You can only try!

• Is there any chance of me being accepted at this age? By the time I apply again I will be over 28 years 11 months, probably by a couple of weeks if I get on with it. Yes, as above
    That’s for you to answer really.
  • I presume I'll have to go through briefing/medicals again. No problem but just want to clarify that my previous application won't give me any extra advantage in terms of things I don't have to do again. Given the time between applications you will likely be treated as a new applicant.
  • How is COVID affecting applications/recruitment? (loaded question as I am wondering if delays due to COVID mean my age won't be an issue). Slower than usual due to reduced numbers per briefing/ main board etc. It won’t be very quick. I started applying last Jan and had my Main Board this Feb. That seems to be the standard length of time for applications at the moment

Or as @Faded suggested try the other services.

Good luck

An important life's lesson which some people regret not following;
"If an organisation wants you enough, they will get around entry qualifications"

But of course you will never know unless you give it a shot.

You would require an Age Waiver from a capbadge who will make you a Confirmed Cadet before you start RMAS.

31 years old was the oldest someone commissioned in December 2020.

Going by the website you can apply as you're under 28 years and 11 months -You should be between 17 years, 9 months and 28 years, 11 months to apply. Older applicants need to be sponsored to join.