Comics judge dredd 2000ad etc

I used to read these when I was living in Germany as a young padbrat, all very Germanic and knightly heroism.

TamH70

MIA
Hugo Pratt got his tomes rereleased by IDW, big feckers worth the money.
First snowpiercer was good second n third well they tried
European cinebooks can be good or pish

Lazarus is fine, there’s a space paradox trilogy that works
9th Art Comics & Graphic Novels UK - Cinebook Publishers - Chimpanzee Complex

Of all the books I have read only crossed really was bleak with no happy ending
Hugo Pratt? Him that did the Corto Maltese books? I had one of those somewhere. I think it was the one where a guy on the ground slotted the Red Baron with a Lee-Enfield rifle.

My personal favorite graphic novel series was Neil Gaiman's Sandman, it's been an on again off again movie concept for the last decade, I'm hoping the likes of Netflix has a punt as a series.
Well, apparently, someone's doing "The Boys", so there's hope.

Mind you, with the sheer quantity of his work that's been on screen, wouldn't that be greedy?

Mike Barton

War Hero
I remember back in 1976 when 2000AD came out, along with another comic Action. Boy oh boy were they a breath of fresh air after years of the Beano and Dandy or even the square-jawed heroes of Victor!

They were in your face and extremely graphic in their depictions of violence and gore. I couldn't get enough of them.

The Daily Mail led a big campaign against them as I recall, warning parents about the anti-social nature of their content, citing soccer hooliganism (a player gets hit on the head with a beer bottle thrown from the crowd, a big change from the speech bubble over anonymous faces, "Will Epstone Rovers' left foot wonder score this penalty to lift the Cup?"). I remember my mum opening up my Action to see for herself and there on a two-page centre spread was a full-colour depiction of Massa Joe being mauled by the shark Hookjaw (you had to be there).

I think back to that particular moral panic when I read similar reports today about how I should keep my children away from Fortnite (a video game they are already bored with), which apparently has led to the deaths of countless unnamed kids in Korea/China/Japan (delete as appropriate).

I remember back in 1976 when 2000AD came out, along with another comic Action. Boy oh boy were they a breath of fresh air after years of the Beano and Dandy or even the square-jawed heroes of Victor!

They were in your face and extremely graphic in their depictions of violence and gore. I couldn't get enough of them.

The Daily Mail led a big campaign against them as I recall, warning parents about the anti-social nature of their content, citing soccer hooliganism (a player gets hit on the head with a beer bottle thrown from the crowd, a big change from the speech bubble over anonymous faces, "Will Epstone Rovers' left foot wonder score this penalty to lift the Cup?"). I remember my mum opening up my Action to see for herself and there on a two-page centre spread was a full-colour depiction of Massa Joe being mauled by the shark Hookjaw (you had to be there).
Indeed.
Action suddenly came to a halt as it got a bit violent.
Last issue had a story about a plague which killed off all the adults, and there were packs of feral youths running amock.
Last frame, a bunch of police cadets from Hendon confronted them. And that was that. Never found out what happened.
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/memorable-stuff-from-your-formative-years.185327/page-329#post-7885603

Also:
British Comics: A Cultural History - Free eBooks Download

take longfiles option

I think back to that particular moral panic when I read similar reports today about how I should keep my children away from Fortnite (a video game they are already bored with), which apparently has led to the deaths of countless unnamed kids in Korea/China/Japan (delete as appropriate).
Master SBP has just chinned off Fortnite for the first chunk of the holidays - apparently Rogue Trooper on PS4 is much better.
That sounds like a reasonable justification to get him some parent reviewed background research material to put the campaigns in context....

Master SBP has just chinned off Fortnite for the first chunk of the holidays - apparently Rogue Trooper on PS4 is much better.
That sounds like a reasonable justification to get him some parent reviewed background research material to put the campaigns in context....
4 volumes all big n blue are better than the A5 versions

I got the Victor until it ceased publication. The 'True Story of Men at War' feature on the front and back cover (usually, how someone won the VC), and a few of the regular stories - Cadman, Joe Bones, Alf Tupper, etc kept me reading. I can still remember some of the 'True Story' covers after 40 years. In particular, one of a Sikh soldier - v smartly turned out - standing on the roof of a Japanese bunker, throwing a grenade through the slit. And lots of 'Aieeees' from the Japs inside.
I bought Battle/Action for Charles's War. Before the story was re-printed (firstly in the Judge Dredd Megazine and then by Titan in book form) I could remember individual panels after 20 years. It was a brilliant combination of hard, quite challenging, story and great illustration. I wish that the WW2 part of Charley's War would be printed. There was a very good story set around the fighting in, I think, Abbeville, and then Charley being at Dunkirk. Pat Mills didn't write the WW2 episodes so he has, iirc, opposed publication (not 'proper' Charles's War apparently).
Commando is still published. They print two old stories, and two new, each fortnight. The older stories are superior imo not in the area of art but in the story-telling. The old writers could tell quite complex, character - based, stories. Quite a few of the newer stories are just 'They escaped, he shot him, they stole a tank and crashed through the German lines'. Interestingly, Commando now regularly has female protagonists.
I have tried to get into Judge Dredd but largely failed. Some of the more serious stories - the last I read was about corruption in the process of choosing the Chief Judge - are excellent. Other stories - particularly the non-Dredd ones - I can't get into. I think some of it is art-based: if I can't 'get on' with the artist's style, the story can fail to engage.

I got the Victor until it ceased publication. The 'True Story of Men at War' feature on the front and back cover (usually, how someone won the VC), and a few of the regular stories - Cadman, Joe Bones, Alf Tupper, etc kept me reading. I can still remember some of the 'True Story' covers after 40 years. In particular, one of a Sikh soldier - v smartly turned out - standing on the roof of a Japanese bunker, throwing a grenade through the slit. And lots of 'Aieeees' from the Japs inside.
I bought Battle/Action for Charles's War. Before the story was re-printed (firstly in the Judge Dredd Megazine and then by Titan in book form) I could remember individual panels after 20 years. It was a brilliant combination of hard, quite challenging, story and great illustration. I wish that the WW2 part of Charley's War would be printed. There was a very good story set around the fighting in, I think, Abbeville, and then Charley being at Dunkirk. Pat Mills didn't write the WW2 episodes so he has, iirc, opposed publication (not 'proper' Charles's War apparently).
Commando is still published. They print two old stories, and two new, each fortnight. The older stories are superior imo not in the area of art but in the story-telling. The old writers could tell quite complex, character - based, stories. Quite a few of the newer stories are just 'They escaped, he shot him, they stole a tank and crashed through the German lines'. Interestingly, Commando now regularly has female protagonists.
I have tried to get into Judge Dredd but largely failed. Some of the more serious stories - the last I read was about corruption in the process of choosing the Chief Judge - are excellent. Other stories - particularly the non-Dredd ones - I can't get into. I think some of it is art-based: if I can't 'get on' with the artist's style, the story can fail to engage.
For those spammed with any regimental history tasks, I would thoroughly recommend the National Army Museum VC/GC archives where all print media related to them is collated.
Templer Study Centre | National Army Museum
This includes the Victor stories!
They must have bought 2 copies, as the front page and inside cover (IIRC it went from colour to B&W) are cut out and pasted in to the scrap books

Last edited:
Did no one get Oor Wullie and the Broons annuals every year till they were an adult

Did no one get Oor Wullie and the Broons annuals every year till they were an adult
Is this adult status calculated physically* or mentally?

*I.e when your parents are too decrepit to put your stocking up

My personal favorite graphic novel series was Neil Gaiman's Sandman, it's been an on again off again movie concept for the last decade, I'm hoping the likes of Netflix has a punt as a series.
You're in luck, Netflix are doing it.

You really aught to get out more, meet girls,, visit an art gallery, read a book, sit in the park, go shopping, that sort of thing, don't wear your school uniform, get out of those short trousers, and don't wear your school cap, its a giveaway, enjoy the next 60 years as you grow up. be a good boy, you know it makes sense.

Last edited:

Mike Barton

War Hero
The kids are bothering me for a PS4, apparently Nintendo Switch is old hat and don't even ask about the dripping scorn I was met with when I reminded them about the Xbox I bought five years ago.

So PS4 will be on Santa's list in a couple of months' time, anything I should look out for when purchasing or is it a one-size-fits-all thing?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
The kids are bothering me for a PS4, apparently Nintendo Switch is old hat and don't even ask about the dripping scorn I was met with when I reminded them about the Xbox I bought five years ago.

So PS4 will be on Santa's list in a couple of months' time, anything I should look out for when purchasing or is it a one-size-fits-all thing?
Possibly one of these:-
QE65Q900R 65 inch QLED 8K HDR 3000 Smart TV
Samsung QE82Q950R (2019) QLED HDR 4000 8K Ultra HD Smart TV, 82" with TVPlus/Freesat HD, Black at John Lewis & Partners

You really aught to get out more, meet girls,, visit an art gallery, read a book, sit in the park, go shopping, that sort of thing, don't wear your school uniform, get out of those short trousers, and don't wear your school cap, its a giveaway, enjoy the next 60 years as you grow up. be a good boy, you know it makes sense.
You ought to stop being such a judgemental arrse.

Just bear in mind the next Play Station will no doubt be out soon, as the PS4 has been out for a while I think.

Latest Threads