comfort food for crap weather

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by tropper66, Jan 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just polished of a large bowl of chilli beef&rice
    put a kilo of shin beef in first thing this morning with peppers,onion some fresh chillis and 2 OXO, garlic and tomoto puree, left it all day in slow cooker and just troughed it with Uncle Bens on my return from the pub. It sure took the chill off, and enough left for a late night snack

• Like Like x 2
  2. A big stew with doughballs or in a large Yorkie pudding, served alongside a decent ale/wine always a winner for me. :hungry: Failing that, curry is a winner.

3. Had a beef goulasch round a mates house on Saturday, had seconds and scraped out the schaefer dish as well.

My mate and his mrs looked at me like a right greedy bast*rd, they'd anticipated having the leftovers for lunch. Ha, bean-stealing, gotta love it!

4. Corned beef hash -- luvverly! :)

• Like Like x 2
  5. Lanc hot pot.

Cut price Tesco leg of lamb boned, chunked and browned, some cheap lambs kidneys cored, layered with sliced onions, same weight of sliced spuds and in a wide dish. Topped up with stock, the one off a boiled unsmoked gammon worked well (left over roast lamb and gravy also great). Covered. Low oven for a couple of hours. Uncover, dot with butter, throw on some chopped rosemary. Mid oven till brown.

6. I just tanned a large pepperoni pizza, choc eclair for pud.

Now im firing into a large bag of peanuts with a large botle of ginger beer.

Fcuking heaven.

7. Cooked a massive beef casserole with parsnips, carrots, leeks, courgettes, lentils and the ubiquitous dumplings (I'm a southerner) - good for 2 days. Served with jacket potatoes and hot mulled wine. For dessert home-made mince pies with clotted cream. Washed down with real coffee from a coffeehouse in the Wirral (thanks Trans-sane) - added some Aquavit from Sweden.

8. Fang_Farrier

Fang_Farrier LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Stovies.

nuff said.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Heaven.

Temp is down to a mere 10C here in HK so we had a chilli and home-made refried beans last night - wonderful! (It did get a bit cold during the night - the duvet kept being blown up into the air......)

10. Oh - and if it carries on like this a cassoulet is DEFINITELY on the cards.

11. With haricot beans? Always loved any meal I had in France which involved these. Could never quite replicate it back in England - started to look like baked beans in a tomato sauce!

12. Man the fuck up and get some cold, fruit dumplings in butterscotch sauce, down you.

• Like Like x 1
  13. And for tonight Mathew we are having liver and bacon, about to pop it into slow cooker, just back from dog walk and it is efffin freezing, about to destroy a full english to warm up

14. Good quality butchers sausage rich onion gravy,creamy mash with cheese and lots of pureed roast garlic and marrowfat peas.
    Large bowl of Panaculty.....HHHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMMM