Comets

Lovejoy is on its way past at the moment, near the Pleides. Got a good view last night but then Mrs WB came out to look, buggered about with the scope mount and went back inside, complaining that she couldn't see anything and it was too cold anyway. Jupiter's moons look good too.
Comet_Lovejoy_Jan2015_chart.jpg

Lovejoy is on its way past at the moment, near the Pleides. Got a good view last night but then Mrs WB came out to look, buggered about with the scope mount and went back inside, complaining that she couldn't see anything and it was too cold anyway. Jupiter's moons look good too.
View attachment 190784
Can you see it by eye?

I couldn't - eyes watering with the cold wind - but easy using a small widefield spotter-scope. The green tinge stands out quite well.

A technical question for Whiskybreath, I have a Meopta Meopro HD 80 scope, its primary use is as a rifle spotting scope. However is does do a good job for the occasional bit of astronomy, eg last June I spotted Jupiter and the Galilean moons late evening time. The problem is pointing it in the right direction, so would a laser pointer do the job and if so what sort of power level and how would it best be mounted?

A technical question for Whiskybreath, I have a Meopta Meopro HD 80 scope, its primary use is as a rifle spotting scope. However is does do a good job for the occasional bit of astronomy, eg last June I spotted Jupiter and the Galilean moons late evening time. The problem is pointing it in the right direction, so would a laser pointer do the job and if so what sort of power level and how would it best be mounted?
My scope has a tube on the housing. No lens or anything so easy enough to do with a bit of conduit and zip ties. Don't think a laser pointer is going to do it...

Edit: picture follows.

Last edited:
You'd have to wait quite a while for the laser to bounce off Jupiter before you can see it....

Lasers only show as a beam in fog/dust/smoke etc and it would be a nightmare zeroing the laser to the scope at somewhere near infinity.

You'd have to wait quite a while for the laser to bounce off Jupiter before you can see it....

Lasers only show as a beam in fog/dust/smoke etc and it would be a nightmare zeroing the laser to the scope at somewhere near infinity.
Even a 10mW laser produces a visible trace at night.

The question is above my pay grade; I'm at the 'junior' level of amateur here, and although you should be using the spotting scope to find the object before firing up the Celestron, I can't see a laser doing much for you. I've only ever used them to spot bandits on the ground before firing up something else entirely. I use a Barr & Stroud spotter on tripod with no alignment technology, and a piece of paper showing where the object of my temporary affection is.
IMGP1240.jpg

In all its shaky glory.

Looks somewhat similar to my Meopta and tripod.

Thanks to Nimbus and Whiskybreath for the replies.

Madjock72

War Hero
Ive just upgraded to skywatcher with a 127Mak waiting on my EQ5 coming through atm some im using my trusty celestron Alt z goto mount which im attaching my canon 1110D to the back.

Ive got a celestron 102 refractor getting modded atm plus a helios 114 newt which is getting modded also atm ( summer time jobs) And an Opticstar Ar90s im selling atm to fund a CCD for some DSO stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Rather bigger than a comet, an asteroid big enough to destroy a nation passing close to Earth next month.

Before someone else says it...I blame Brexit.... ;)

Rather bigger than a comet, an asteroid big enough to destroy a nation passing close to Earth next month.

I'm waiting for XR to insist the government declares an Asteroid emergency. Climate change, pah, kids stuff

I'm waiting for XR to insist the government declares an Asteroid emergency. Climate change, pah, kids stuff
Yep. It would put farting cows,and coal fired power stations in perspective. I wonder how Greta the wee nazi would twist it to blame it on everyone else, as we went into a ten year winter due to impact fallout, ;)

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Yep. It would put farting cows,and coal fired power stations in perspective. I wonder how Greta the wee nazi would twist it to blame it on everyone else, as we went into a ten year winter due to impact fallout, ;)
I read something in a Sunday paper recently describing The Day The Asteroid Wiped Out The Dinosaurs, minute by minute. Described in detail how it struck Yucatan, but finished by pointing out that a few minutes earlier it would have entirely struck Caribbean, or a few minutes later the Pacific.

Either way would have been a disaster of biblical proportions, but it wouldn't have been the Extinction Level Event it was, the large dinosaurs would have survived and we might now be swishing tales and scratching scales.

I've just had a vision of the 1980s Dinosaurs. Honey, I'm home. Not the Mama.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Drivers_lag The NAAFI Bar 36
BenghaziBandit RAC 20