Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comedians that are not funny but think they are

Nobody's mentioned him yet & I know he's not to everyone's taste, but Jethro never fails to make me laugh.
When he was on form he was good, but too often at his Pub he was a drunken, rambling, bad tempered git.

Right,

Seeing as how this thread is not titled current comedians that are unfunny may I offer up in decending order.

bof a f.jpg

How the fcuk this shite series was ever considered funny is beyond me. However, I would definitely do the brunette one (can't remember her name and don't want to).

steptoe.jpg

Secondly, these 2 dull twats. I hated it the first time around.

Just to assuage my middle aged grumpiness this morning, please note the festive images I have supplied.

So Happy Christmas everyone whilst fcuk off Birds of a Feather and the other pile of crap too.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Add Citizen Smith to that list, not remotely as funny as we thought it was, watching it 40 odd years later.
I wasn’t a fan of that when it came out to be honest.

When he was on form he was good, but too often at his Pub he was a drunken, rambling, bad tempered git.
I never saw him at his own place, always on tours. He'd always come in the bar beforehand & mingle. He's retiring at the end of the year which is a bit of a shame but he's also got an equestrian business & I gather he's a useful clay pigeon shot.

I never saw him at his own place, always on tours. He'd always come in the bar beforehand & mingle. He's retiring at the end of the year which is a bit of a shame but he's also got an equestrian business & I gather he's a useful clay pigeon shot.
Towards the end of my trips to his gaff at Lifton Down ( in Devon I might add), I was only going to see a local band "Mad Dog McCrea" who are excellent and guaranteed to get the feet tapping, couldn't wait for Jethro to get off so they could do their thing.
Yes he is very horsey, I suspect that he is at least part pikey.
To be fair though his story about the bathroom floor tiles can still curl me up, my brother does an excellent impression of the Cornish git by the way.

Last edited:
Right,

Seeing as how this thread is not titled current comedians that are unfunny may I offer up in decending order.

View attachment 523795

How the fcuk this shite series was ever considered funny is beyond me. However, I would definitely do the brunette one (can't remember her name and don't want to).

View attachment 523796

Secondly, these 2 dull twats. I hated it the first time around.

Just to assuage my middle aged grumpiness this morning, please note the festive images I have supplied.

So Happy Christmas everyone whilst fcuk off Birds of a Feather and the other pile of crap too.
'kin ell....heresy, ok not the first one, but I liked Steptoe....at least until he went into politics.

Took two ladies to see Doug Stanhope in Portsmouth. They were a couple so the answer to your next question is: No, dammit.

They'd never heard of him let alone knew anything about his comedic style.

We were having a few pre show sherberts and talking about comedy we enjoy and one of them piped up "I like Alan Carr."
I died a little inside and thought that this evening isn't going to one you'll remember fondly.
Spoke to his Missus, Amy "Bingo" Bingerman before and after the show selling merch. She has deep mental health problems and can be a loose cannon but was the sweetest person I've ever met. Still have the poster on my wall with her personal inscription on it. She didnt even charge me for it as I was nice enough to stop and chat.

I also took another female friend to see Doug in London. Again: No, dammit.
Another one that hadn't heard of him as well.
It wasn't until we were on our way there that I found out she was quite a devout Christian.
I was a little apprehensive.

After 2 minutes of him being on stage I never heard a thing, she was howling with laughter throughout.

But Alan Carr, like Graham Norton, a master of Untertainment.
Your guests would have been the only two ladies in Portsmouth that night.

I liked Steptoe
Steptoe and Son - every series, every 30 minute episode, a work of genius.

You couldn't help but laugh, but the Dad/Son/mutually dependent/trapped relationship was so close to real life that - at the same time as making you laugh - it (never mind scenes like Steptoes senior eating pickled onions in the bath, in the living room, FFS!) made you feel uncomfortable, but in a kinda 'this is weird, this is a train crash disaster, I don't want to see - but I can't look away' manner.

I can see why it's appeal wasn't as universal as (say) Eric and Ernie - but it was never gonna be that kind of show.

Is it as strong now as it was then?

Hard to say: if you don't remember rag'n'bone men doing their rounds in your street the same day every week, it's likely the scenario is as alien and incomprehensioble as the stage setting for Waiting for Godot.

But if you're of an age . . . .​

Carbon 6

War Hero

You couldn't help but laugh, but the Dad/Son/mutually dependent/trapped relationship was so close to real life that - at the same time as making you laugh - it (never mind scenes like Steptoes senior eating pickled onions in the bath, in the living room, FFS!) made you feel uncomfortable, but in a kinda 'this is weird, this is a train crash disaster, I don't want to see - but I can't look away' manner.

I can see why it's appeal wasn't as universal as (say) Eric and Ernie - but it was never gonna be that kind of show.

Hard to say: if you don't remember rag'n'bone men doing their rounds in your street the same day every week, it's likely the scenario is as alien and incomprehensioble as the stage setting for Waiting for Godot.

Didn't the septics make a watered down version of Steptoe and Son? I can't remember the name, but I saw an episode many years ago and thought it was rubbish.

One of the reasons that the whole dynamics of the Father/Son relationship and more specifically the arguments worked was the fact that in real life the actors actually hated each other

That **** Ben Elton and any other of those 'alternative' *******, come to that close Channel 4 down too, that's where they all came from.
I think it's time to drop the "alternative" description for Elton, as he's been in the entertainment business for so long, he's now the epitome of the comedic Establishment.

Going back a number of years it would be hard to find someone as unfunny as that cnut Freddie fuckin parrot face fuckin Davis, he was about as funny as following through while acting as a pall bearer, though that other so called comedian Charlie Williams runs him close

I think there’s a whole crop of comedians now who know they are unfunny but- have a following by a crowd who deem themselves fashionable / progressive, and consider it fashionable to be seen appreciating a certain genre of humour. Most who attend the Edinburgh fringe possibly fall into that category.

I think The Fast show possibly summed this phenomenon up with a musical equivalent ...’Jazz club’.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think it's time to drop the "alternative" description for Elton, as he's been in the entertainment business for so long, he's now the epitome of the comedic Establishment.

You could also drop the word "comedian".
As a writer (provided he has someone working with him/ a handler) he's excellent though.

You could also drop the word "comedian".
As a writer (provided he has someone working with him/ a handler) he's excellent though.

I don't think much of his clothing range "Ben Elton" either

Latest Threads