Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Comedians that are not funny but think they are

Some things just become classics. Dad's Army by way of the characters created is probably one of those. And also maybe it's worn well for all sorts of reasons. It's one of those secrets of creating a memorable show which you can't put your finger on but you know when it happens. Either because its story lines whilst set in WW2 can be 'timeless' and can be related to today and so it wears well. And possibly also because it also has 'survivability by dodging a number of what we would now see as odd, offensive or just not funny anymore. The just as funny It Ain't Half Hot Mum' gets hit by both the colonial past and racist brickbats, (when in fact as I understand it, it was apparently Perry and Croft's more favoured series rather than Dad's Army) and so not shown any more.
Its been said one part of its success was that the target audience had lived the real thing, and remebered gobby arp wardens and spivs, plus the comic timing of main players was spot on

walrusboy

War Hero
a mate went to see ken dodd, in the q he twigged that most fans had flasks, packed food and water, 4 hours later he wished he'd been warned show over ran by 90 mins as well
A mate of mine told me the same thing. He'd gone to see him in Blackpool in the 70's and said that they had to practically drag Doddy off the stage. He also said that his ribs were sore for days after, he'd been laughing so hard.
I saw him at a social club in Liverpool in the 90s and he did 7pm until midnight and he had much more in the tank. I felt ill with all the laughing. The steward threw him out in the end.

I saw him booed off stage in Dundee when he was a support act.

His loads of money character did not resonate well with the audience, neither did Terribly nice Tim, nor the you don't want to do that unhelpful father type.
Yeah but to be fair, the only characters that would resonate with a Dumbdee audience would be, a teenage mother, a smack head and a guy with a blue face shouting FREEDOM!

You might like
Bill Burr
Jim Jeffries
Rich Hall
Doug Stanhope

It seems english comedy is dead these days apart from Jeff Norwood
Jim Jeffries used to be funny in the same way Harry used to be popular...both turned out to be twats.

walrusboy

War Hero
The greatest stand up comedian of all time Bernard Manning
I saw Bernard several times at the Embassy in the early 90s and he put on a good night. He gave new cabaret turns an opportunity to try out and he wasn't a bad singer himself. His reputation for racist jokes was well founded but he wasn't a 'one trick pony' and the audience was always quite diverse; mixed parties, female groups and members of the BAME community. One night he introduced two members of the audience as Falklands veterans who fought valiantly at Goose Green. Everyone went wild, applauding the two bemused Pakistani boys he'd pointed out in the crowd. As the applause died down he said, "mind you, they're fcuking Argentinian." The place erupted and they both got a free pint on the house.

He didn't confine his humour to race. The following are a few examples:

1. Pointing out a crucifix in a Catholic Club, Bernard says, "I see you caught the ba5tard who burgled the place last month."

2. Addressing two middle-aged women in the audience, Bernard says, "If you combined all the c0ck these two girls have had, you could make a hand rail for the Isle of Man."

3. Addressing a man in the audience with a big nose who is suffering with a cold, Bernard says, "If you need to blow your nose again, let me know because I'm closer than you."

Race, religion, gender, big noses, Bernard didn't leave anyone out.

I saw Bernard several times at the Embassy in the early 90s and he put on a good night. He gave new cabaret turns an opportunity to try out and he wasn't a bad singer himself. His reputation for racist jokes was well founded but he wasn't a 'one trick pony' and the audience was always quite diverse; mixed parties, female groups and members of the BAME community. One night he introduced two members of the audience as Falklands veterans who fought valiantly at Goose Green. Everyone went wild, applauding the two bemused Pakistani boys he'd pointed out in the crowd. As the applause died down he said, "mind you, they're fcuking Argentinian." The place erupted and they both got a free pint on the house.

1. Pointing out a crucifix in a Catholic Club, Bernard says, "I see you caught the ba5tard who burgled the place last month."

2. Addressing two middle-aged women in the audience, Bernard says, "If you combined all the c0ck these two girls have had, you could make a hand rail for the Isle of Man."

3. Addressing a man in the audience with a big nose who is suffering with a cold, Bernard says, "If you need to blow your nose again, let me know because I'm closer than you."

The whole interview is amusing, but I thought the last one at 6.35 was the best

Its a shame that people only seem to think he told racist jokes.

Nobody's mentioned him yet & I know he's not to everyone's taste, but Jethro never fails to make me laugh.
I got from him (on a Des O'Connor show, which was the first time I ever heard of him) the only joke I ever knew that (even if it was me telling it) could get a genuinely unforced laugh out of soldiers and officers of all the NATO nations.

That, my friends, is comedy genius.

Jerry Lewis
As a film star whose zany antics and funny noises, he was, if you watch his films now, almost embarrassing;
As a stand up stage comedian, the finest I've ever been fortunate to see.

walrusboy

War Hero
He's a bad role model for scousers as well, he's walting at having a job
His links to Liverpool are thin. He was brought up in Winsford, Cheshire. Liverpool overspill. His 21st century Stan Boardman-esque personality was always destined for panel shows, children in need, pro-celebrity football etc. A friend of mine paid good money to see him in Southport a few years ago (I know) and he was unable to deal with a heckler, which resulted in him storming off stage. No refunds. It's like coming off the log in the first five minutes.

My bold. this is one individual that needs beating to death with large sections of industrial mining machinery. His highly questionable and offensive "Jokes" are appalling, and in very bad taste, and that smug bland face lends itself to a quick, and swift rearrangement, with a steel sleeved pick helve.
Took two ladies to see Doug Stanhope in Portsmouth. They were a couple so the answer to your next question is: No, dammit.

They'd never heard of him let alone knew anything about his comedic style.

We were having a few pre show sherberts and talking about comedy we enjoy and one of them piped up "I like Alan Carr."
I died a little inside and thought that this evening isn't going to one you'll remember fondly.
Spoke to his Missus, Amy "Bingo" Bingerman before and after the show selling merch. She has deep mental health problems and can be a loose cannon but was the sweetest person I've ever met. Still have the poster on my wall with her personal inscription on it. She didnt even charge me for it as I was nice enough to stop and chat.

I also took another female friend to see Doug in London. Again: No, dammit.
Another one that hadn't heard of him as well.
It wasn't until we were on our way there that I found out she was quite a devout Christian.
I was a little apprehensive.

After 2 minutes of him being on stage I never heard a thing, she was howling with laughter throughout.

But Alan Carr, like Graham Norton, a master of Untertainment.

Another joke attributed to Manning that is actually quite funny, well to me anyway.

A Yorkshire couple are on a week's holiday in Benidorm and being the sort of people who are wary of all that funny, foreign muck they eat over there, have made sure to pack plenty of good old-fashioned English food to see them through the week, bacon and black pud for breakfast, pie and chips for dinner that sort of thing.

Sunday comes around and missus rummages through the luggage to get all the ingredients for a proper Sunday roast, her hubby comes back from El Taverno to find her in tears, she has forgotten to pack the gravy, the dinner will be ruined.

"Nay lass, don't fret, I saw a nice English couple move into the apartment next door, I am sure they will have packed gravy, I'll just pop round and ask them".

He knocks on the door to be greeted by the bloke, from Sarf Lunnon, no doubt.

"Ay oop, 'ast 'ee any Bisto?"

"Fark orf ya Spanish git" and door slams.

Ba dum, tish!

In the case of "it ain't half hot mum" I think it's more to do with the fact that they are poking fun at the homosexuallists rather than racism tbh,I never saw racism in that programme anyhow.
The BBC are shit scared of offending the bumders.
It's hardly an issue is it, let's be honest the only person worth watching on the channel is Sir David of Attenborough.
If plans go through to cut public purse spending on it. there will be a large building for sale .....If my childhood memories of Blue Peter serve me right W12 8QT

Latest Threads