Come out of the closet Field Marshall - Micheal Gove MP

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ABrighter2006, Jan 3, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Today's Times newspaper has a piece by Micheal Gove MP, where he attempts to make a serious point about the disconnect between civilians and the military, and I applaud any newspaper journalist who does this,,1055-2527262,00.html

Having "confessed" his teenage interest in wargaming, Gove goes on to state how his love of wargaming stands him in good stead to this day with Sandhurst being in his constituency, which struck me as a little off field.

I understand that MP's currently receive a salary of around £55k, so it surprises me that so many sitting MP's seem to be on the payroll of so many media organisations, at a time when they have stated an intention to represent their' constituents.

What do ARRSE'rs think about this? Should there be a strengthening of codes of conduct that ensure our MP's are dedicated to their manifesto and not having to produce x,000 words each week?
  2. Any person who wishes to be an MP does solely for a purely personal reason, connected with the trappings of power and wealth. They are over-paid for what little work they do and want more! I personally detest all MPs, whatever party they represent and yearn for a truely, representative, democratic way of governing this country that will do away with power crazed fools who see themselves as "world leaders" :evil:

As for dedication to their manifesto, that changes when they gain power and do what-ever they want.
  3. I thought I'd check the register of Members' Interests, but interestingly, there are no entries for Micheal Gove. I'm assuming that Wapping's finest pay him for his submissions, does this not constitute an interest?
  4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

I am completely at odds with you on this, if you think that all MPs should be Politicians and nothing else.

I feel that we were far better served when MPs were for the most part people who had already shown that they could do something else well - whether as a Councillor, Builder, TU Leader, Scientist, Teacher, Industrialist, or whatever. We are now run by a group of people who are for the most part 'career' politicians. They have no idea of the outside world, having come up the chain of University activist, MPs researcher, and possibly working as a 'consultant', before being let into a safe seat (which remain the majority of seats in Parliament, without a very large swing one way or the other).
    These people are therefore dependent on their Party for pay, privileges, and a future (a nice safe seat? - vote the right way) and have no idea whatsoever of what a conscience is, let alone voting with one.

We are far better served as regards informed debate and genuine discussion by the ‘semi-elected’ House of Lords, which has in it people of genuine skill and resource, and who are not all dependant on the good will of Mr Blair for their positions
  5. elovabloke

elovabloke LE Moderator

I would love a part time job that pays well over £100000 a year and no reciepts required for any claim under £250 - bloody overpaid leeches with as many if not more holidays as teachers. The devolve power do less work and put in for another large pay rise. ARRSE
  6. Old Snowy, I agree completely that we should be represented by "real" people with "real" backgrounds, I am interested in what posters consider is the "tipping point" a la George Galloway's appearance on Big Brother last year. Despite his attempts to "be at one with the yoof" I can't be persuaded that he is representing / benefiting his constituents by taking part. Galloway is an "extreme" example, but many MP's seem intent on "cashing in" on their MP status.

Yes, lets encourage as many people with as diverse a background as possible into politics, but why should we pay them £50k + pa, and watch them supplement their "income" in this way?

And agreed on the House of Lords comment.
  7. I don't think it's an entirely bad thing that he has a weekly slot where he can get his views out into the open and be read by his constituents, 1,000/2,000 words of your own thoughts wouldn't takemore than a couple of hours to write and at least keeps him in touch with the people who elected him. If he's paid to do it, then lucky him

But for things like George "Saddams my best buddy" Galloway, what he did was just ridiculous. It just showed us all what a knob he is and the very fact of life is that he wasn't doing his job the entire time he was there. It wasn't like taking a couple of hours out of the week to communicate with the population

I'm also with Snowy and Brighter, there should certainly be a required amount of experience needed before you go into politics. I'm 23, and if I see another "young, inspiring leader" being pushed forward I'll kill someone. David Cameron? Give me a break...I want someone solid, intelligent and detached, who's done something bloody challenging and brave, morally or physically, in their life.
  8. dui-lai,

Couldn't agree more.
    I am so fed up I think it's time to quit the Electoral Role.

And before anybody says "fancy giving up what our fathers fought for"
    let me say MY father didn't fight for what we have now.
    He was a conservative who wouldn't recognise the Tory party of today.
    As for Labour? that wouldn't suprise him at all!

And ask yourself when was the last time local or national politicians did what you asked.
    Sure across Parliament there are some good men and women who work hard but too many either enter for "personal" reasons or go native.

The party talk shop decides the line and then you have to follow that line.

Don't like it?
    Want to change it?
    Too bad
    You won't!!!
  9. Think you'll find that his focus has always been the Iraqi population, not the leader. He's managed to piss off most UK and American governments along the way in a fairly consistent manner.

In the late 1970s, Galloway was a founding member of the Campaign Against Repression and for Democratic Rights in Iraq (CARDRI), which campaigned against Saddam Hussein's regime in response to its suppression of the Iraqi Communist Party. He was critical of America and Britain's later role in supporting Saddam during the Iran-Iraq War and was involved in protests at Iraq's cultural centre in London in the 1980s.
  10. My bold. Says it all about the man, really... everything is hunky dory until the Communist Party is suppressed (ironic, really, given that the Communist Party would have suppressed everybody else had it come to power...)
  11. Uber-walt: David Aaronovitch, Bliar toady and rabid Iraq neo-con. A wargamer. Funny old thing!
  12. Ah, a man who's read the article. Good to see the depth of knowledge that these people are happy to espouse.
  13. I had a run-in with Aaronovitch in public once, at a lecture in late 2003. He dismissed my question of dodgy dossier "battlefield" vs "strategic" WMDs as an "irrelevance". This from a man who probably gets physically aroused by the technical details of Top Trump cards!

I bet whenever he "wargames" Iraq he loses!
  14. What's wrong with wargaming as a hobby? Playing military games like Panzerblitz helped instill my interest in military affairs. Part of the reason I originally joined.

Unfortunately Panzerblitz left out 'latrine duty', inspections, hours of boot shining, landscaping duty, 06:00 PT, and a Post clean-up among other things in their 'realistic scenarios'. 8O
  15. I have nothing against wargaming and wish there were a few anoraks near me!

I have a lot against scumbag leftie journalists who think Bliar is the blessed reincarnation of Churchill. :twisted: