COMBAT STRESS - London Appeal 6 May 2006

Discussion in 'Charities and Welfare' started by Goatman, Jan 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Many on ARRSE are aware and have contributed to collections for the Service Charity Combat Stress. Thanks to you the 165 Regt Marathon in Washington in 2004 raised a very creditable £1500 for the charity...THANK YOU.

Here is a chance for anyone within reach of London who can spare a couple of hours on a Saturday to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.......

(Reprinted with Rosie's full permission - she's looking forward to hearing from YOU ! :) )

This is a great cause folks - as I'm sure all of you who have served are well aware......IMHO they deserve our help.

Maybe you'd like to join me, Plastic Yank and a few others for a big day out....wonder if I can get the Downing Street pitch.... :)

Thanks once again,

Goatman

2. Erm, not a great choice of day: it's the Army v Navy game... :?

3. Cool, Stand at the entrance with a very big bucket until the game starts. :lol:

Sadly I don't know what I'm upto but will pencil it in.

4. Goatman. Can I email this lady direct, I have a question and a suggestion for her.

JJ

5. Further to the above ....I'd love to hear from anyone who can assist in any way, shape or form on the 6th May - any help is v much appreciated!

As mentioned, we're covering a huge area, not just the central boroughs of London, so anyone with access to areas on the outskirts such as Kingston, Richmond, Croydon, Bromley, Enfield, Havering, Hillingdon, Redbridge etc. would be most welcome!!

Also, any assistance or suggestions for suitable secure locations for us to count money would be well received. We're also on the lookout for drivers and vehicles if poss to assist.

A big task, but should be great for awareness and bring in plenty of much needed funds.

Thx in advance!

Rosie Gibbons
    Community Fundraising - Combat Stress

Ps. Yes you can contact me directly on dfprsec @ combatstress.org.uk or 01372 841616

6. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

......balls......er......oval ones I assume !

GREAT!!! - that means loads of HMF coming to London ANYWAY !! Waterloo station in deserts plus a Combat stress Tee....keep an eye out for me if you're going to the match!!

...the unworthy thought occurred it might be a good opportunity for an ARRSE pi77-up as well....... :lol:

JOHNO- yes Rosie Gibbons is standing by the phones - she'd love to hear from you direct - get in quick 'cos she's only after a 100 good men and women!!!

G'Man

7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

< bump>

Spoke to Rosie this am....only 18 volunteers so far......going to the Army-Navy game ?

8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Stabs - thanks....hmmm sick chit in hand eh.....;-)

If anyone else can spare a couple of hours please do get in touch with

ROSIE GIBBONS - COMBAT STRESS FUND RAISING DEPT TEL: 01372 841616 dfprsec@combatstress.org.uk

...hope to see y'all on the day in one form or another !

Thank you,

G'Man

9. You beat me to it Goatman, I near double posted there.

As an added incentive there should be lots of hottie, female students there too.

Rosie I hadn't realised it was this weekend, I will be in London that weekend but not sure of the time yet as will be flying from manchester after a night out. If I'm there in time I will definately help out. I'll chat to some of the lads that are coming with us and see if they can help out too.

As another incentive for the lads, I met Rosie and one of her work mates at a conference the other week and they are both grade A hotties :wink:

Surely a few of you could help out before the match.

Rosie could be worth finding out if you can get in the Corps bars.

10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

<bump>

Right. Got a call to ask if I would be a Volunteer Coordinator for May 6th .

I've asked to cover the borough of Southwark, including Waterloo Station ( separate permit req'd apparentely so TBC).

For any who are unfamiliar Suvvok is a delightful patch of London, er, Sarf of the river.

A very nice man at the Union Jack Club has volunteered his office as counting station so we'll be returning there for re-org. Tick VG Matt!

If anyone who might have a couple of hours to spare in/ around Southwark on May 6th would like to volunteer to rattle a tin for a couple of hours I'd love to hear from you by PM or post here.

Those of you attending the ARRSE crawl as per http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=27506.html keep an eye out for us - and come and say hello !

Thanks,

G'Man

11. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Just a quick update for those kind souls who will be helping out on Saturday.

The Union Jack Club is the base for the Southwark collection team. I'll be there from 0900 on Saturday to issue collecting boxes, badges and a Combat Stress Tee to everyone who is collecting.

The other poc at Union Jack Club is Matt Taylor.

We have a team of 6 volunteers - well done peeps , look forward to meeting you. :lol:

Just spoken to Rosie Gibbons and apparentely there will be Combat Stress collectors in 14 London Boroughs on Saturday - a total of 63 volunteers in all.

If you are London based and would like to get involved even for only a couple of hours please contact the fragrant Rosie Gibbons direct at Combat Stress on 01372 841616

Thanks to all,

G'Man

12. jobs for the boys/girls combat stress is a JOKE , veterans agency has no control over the care at these places

OUR VETERANS === THEY SERVED THEIR COUNTRY NOT A CHARITIE , THEY DESERVE GOVERNMENT RUN AND FUNDED VETERANS HOMES , DECENT CARE, DECENT FACILITIES, DECENT FOOD, AND COMPASSIONATE , CARING , RESPECT FOR THE MEN/WOMEN WHO ATTEND THESE FACILITIES , THEY DESERVE NOTHING LESS

13. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Couldn't agree more....sadly, NO government since 1919 has had the balls or the compassion to set aside adequate funding to care over the long-term for Ex-Service people with mental illness....which is why Combat Stress - formerly the Ex-Service Mental Welfare Society - has had to step into the breach and has run three residential care homes for former Service personnel suffering from the aftermath of war ever since.

You may be confusing Combat Stress with the Veterans Agency - which is a government department.

If you think Combat Stress is a joke charity mister, then you know nothing about what they do or the kind of illness they seek to treat.

Lee Shaver

14. Agreed. I have had to deal with them and found them to be on the ball. A worthwhile cause if ever there was one.