COMBAT STRESS - London Appeal 6 May 2006

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Many on ARRSE are aware and have contributed to collections for the Service Charity Combat Stress. Thanks to you the 165 Regt Marathon in Washington in 2004 raised a very creditable £1500 for the charity...THANK YOU.

Here is a chance for anyone within reach of London who can spare a couple of hours on a Saturday to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.......

(Reprinted with Rosie's full permission - she's looking forward to hearing from YOU ! :) )

Great news! Combat Stress has been granted its first London-wide street collection licence to be carried out on SATURDAY 6TH MAY 2006. A fantastic opportunity to raise awareness for the Society as well as a superb fundraiser.

This of course means that I am now looking for as many volunteers as possible to assist with street collections on the day. Alternatively, if you aren't up for collecting but can assist in any other capacity (i.e driving, counting, admin etc) I would be very pleased to hear from you. We will be covering over twenty Boroughs in London, therefore a huge amount of help is required!

Could I please ask that if you are able to volunteer your time then please contact me as soon as possible. We do not specifically require a full day of your time, I will be grateful for as little or many hours that can be spared.

I would also be very grateful if you could pass this email on or ask anyone (friends, family etc) who may also be able to help. If you could please ask them to get in touch with me directly.

I need to get authorisation documents and ID badges made up in advance, as well as timetables and logistical arrangements, therefore I'd like to confirm all names and details of collectors (including hours) by no later than 9th April 2006.

Many thanks, here's hoping for a successful day and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rosie
Rosie Gibbons

Fundraising Assistant
The Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (COMBAT STRESS)
E-mail dfprsec@combatstress.org.uk tel 01372 841616 fax 01372 841693

The Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (COMBAT STRESS) has a lifetime commitment to all its clients. If you need our help or know of someone who may need our help, or if you would like to support our work, please contact us through our website at www.combatstress.org.uk

This is a great cause folks - as I'm sure all of you who have served are well aware......IMHO they deserve our help.

Maybe you'd like to join me, Plastic Yank and a few others for a big day out....wonder if I can get the Downing Street pitch.... :)

Thanks once again,

Goatman

DozyBint said:
Erm, not a great choice of day: it's the Army v Navy game... :?
Cool, Stand at the entrance with a very big bucket until the game starts. :lol:

Sadly I don't know what I'm upto but will pencil it in.

Goatman. Can I email this lady direct, I have a question and a suggestion for her.

JJ

Further to the above ....I'd love to hear from anyone who can assist in any way, shape or form on the 6th May - any help is v much appreciated!

As mentioned, we're covering a huge area, not just the central boroughs of London, so anyone with access to areas on the outskirts such as Kingston, Richmond, Croydon, Bromley, Enfield, Havering, Hillingdon, Redbridge etc. would be most welcome!!

Also, any assistance or suggestions for suitable secure locations for us to count money would be well received. We're also on the lookout for drivers and vehicles if poss to assist.

A big task, but should be great for awareness and bring in plenty of much needed funds.

Thx in advance!

Rosie Gibbons
Community Fundraising - Combat Stress

Ps. Yes you can contact me directly on dfprsec @ combatstress.org.uk or 01372 841616

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
DozyBint said:
Erm, not a great choice of day: it's the Army v Navy game... :?
......balls......er......oval ones I assume !

GREAT!!! - that means loads of HMF coming to London ANYWAY !! Waterloo station in deserts plus a Combat stress Tee....keep an eye out for me if you're going to the match!!

...the unworthy thought occurred it might be a good opportunity for an ARRSE pi77-up as well....... :lol:

JOHNO- yes Rosie Gibbons is standing by the phones - she'd love to hear from you direct - get in quick 'cos she's only after a 100 good men and women!!!

G'Man

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
< bump>

Spoke to Rosie this am....only 18 volunteers so far......going to the Army-Navy game ?

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Stabs - thanks....hmmm sick chit in hand eh.....;-)

If anyone else can spare a couple of hours please do get in touch with

ROSIE GIBBONS - COMBAT STRESS FUND RAISING DEPT TEL: 01372 841616 dfprsec@combatstress.org.uk

...hope to see y'all on the day in one form or another !

Thank you,

G'Man

You beat me to it Goatman, I near double posted there.

As an added incentive there should be lots of hottie, female students there too.

Rosie I hadn't realised it was this weekend, I will be in London that weekend but not sure of the time yet as will be flying from manchester after a night out. If I'm there in time I will definately help out. I'll chat to some of the lads that are coming with us and see if they can help out too.

As another incentive for the lads, I met Rosie and one of her work mates at a conference the other week and they are both grade A hotties :wink:

Surely a few of you could help out before the match.

Rosie could be worth finding out if you can get in the Corps bars.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
<bump>

Right. Got a call to ask if I would be a Volunteer Coordinator for May 6th .

I've asked to cover the borough of Southwark, including Waterloo Station ( separate permit req'd apparentely so TBC).

For any who are unfamiliar Suvvok is a delightful patch of London, er, Sarf of the river.

A very nice man at the Union Jack Club has volunteered his office as counting station so we'll be returning there for re-org. Tick VG Matt!

If anyone who might have a couple of hours to spare in/ around Southwark on May 6th would like to volunteer to rattle a tin for a couple of hours I'd love to hear from you by PM or post here.

Those of you attending the ARRSE crawl as per http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=27506.html keep an eye out for us - and come and say hello !

Thanks,

G'Man

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Just a quick update for those kind souls who will be helping out on Saturday.

The Union Jack Club is the base for the Southwark collection team. I'll be there from 0900 on Saturday to issue collecting boxes, badges and a Combat Stress Tee to everyone who is collecting.

The other poc at Union Jack Club is Matt Taylor.

We have a team of 6 volunteers - well done peeps , look forward to meeting you. :lol:

Just spoken to Rosie Gibbons and apparentely there will be Combat Stress collectors in 14 London Boroughs on Saturday - a total of 63 volunteers in all.

If you are London based and would like to get involved even for only a couple of hours please contact the fragrant Rosie Gibbons direct at Combat Stress on 01372 841616

Thanks to all,

G'Man

Goatman said:
Many on ARRSE are aware and have contributed to collections for the Service Charity Combat Stress. Thanks to you the 165 Regt Marathon in Washington in 2004 raised a very creditable £1500 for the charity...THANK YOU.

Here is a chance for anyone within reach of London who can spare a couple of hours on a Saturday to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.......

(Reprinted with Rosie's full permission - she's looking forward to hearing from YOU ! :) )

Great news! Combat Stress has been granted its first London-wide street collection licence to be carried out on SATURDAY 6TH MAY 2006. A fantastic opportunity to raise awareness for the Society as well as a superb fundraiser.

This of course means that I am now looking for as many volunteers as possible to assist with street collections on the day. Alternatively, if you aren't up for collecting but can assist in any other capacity (i.e driving, counting, admin etc) I would be very pleased to hear from you. We will be covering over twenty Boroughs in London, therefore a huge amount of help is required!

Could I please ask that if you are able to volunteer your time then please contact me as soon as possible. We do not specifically require a full day of your time, I will be grateful for as little or many hours that can be spared.

I would also be very grateful if you could pass this email on or ask anyone (friends, family etc) who may also be able to help. If you could please ask them to get in touch with me directly.

I need to get authorisation documents and ID badges made up in advance, as well as timetables and logistical arrangements, therefore I'd like to confirm all names and details of collectors (including hours) by no later than 9th April 2006.

Many thanks, here's hoping for a successful day and I look forward to hearing from you.

Rosie
Rosie Gibbons

Fundraising Assistant
The Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (COMBAT STRESS)
E-mail dfprsec@combatstress.org.uk tel 01372 841616 fax 01372 841693

The Ex-Services Mental Welfare Society (COMBAT STRESS) has a lifetime commitment to all its clients. If you need our help or know of someone who may need our help, or if you would like to support our work, please contact us through our website at www.combatstress.org.uk

This is a great cause folks - as I'm sure all of you who have served are well aware......IMHO they deserve our help.

Maybe you'd like to join me, Plastic Yank and a few others for a big day out....wonder if I can get the Downing Street pitch.... :)

Thanks once again,

Goatman

jobs for the boys/girls combat stress is a JOKE , veterans agency has no control over the care at these places

OUR VETERANS === THEY SERVED THEIR COUNTRY NOT A CHARITIE , THEY DESERVE GOVERNMENT RUN AND FUNDED VETERANS HOMES , DECENT CARE, DECENT FACILITIES, DECENT FOOD, AND COMPASSIONATE , CARING , RESPECT FOR THE MEN/WOMEN WHO ATTEND THESE FACILITIES , THEY DESERVE NOTHING LESS

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
l/cpl_blowhard said:
OUR VETERANS === THEY SERVED THEIR COUNTRY NOT A CHARITIE , THEY DESERVE GOVERNMENT RUN AND FUNDED VETERANS HOMES , DECENT CARE, DECENT FACILITIES, DECENT FOOD, AND COMPASSIONATE , CARING , RESPECT FOR THE MEN/WOMEN WHO ATTEND THESE FACILITIES , THEY DESERVE NOTHING LESS
Couldn't agree more....sadly, NO government since 1919 has had the balls or the compassion to set aside adequate funding to care over the long-term for Ex-Service people with mental illness....which is why Combat Stress - formerly the Ex-Service Mental Welfare Society - has had to step into the breach and has run three residential care homes for former Service personnel suffering from the aftermath of war ever since.

You may be confusing Combat Stress with the Veterans Agency - which is a government department.

If you think Combat Stress is a joke charity mister, then you know nothing about what they do or the kind of illness they seek to treat.

Lee Shaver

l/cpl_blowhard said:
jobs for the boys/girls combat stress is a JOKE , veterans agency has no control over the care at these places

What an ill-informed and stupid post.

Not only does 'l/cpl_blowhard' clearly have no idea about the type of work undertaken by Combat Stress, he is also obviously not aware that they are seen as an exemplar in the field of traumatic stress treatment.

Yes, of course our veterans (not the best word, since some of them are still in their teens) deserve the best; but who would trust this government to provide it? By all means let the government pay for the best , but in many cases the actual service and facilities are better provided by charities like Combat Stress, Blesma, St Dunstan's, RBL, RAFA, RAFBF, OA and so on.

As an aside, I would much prefer MOD to pay Combat Stress to treat serving soldiers with traumatic stress problems rather than the Priory Group, but would not wish to see MOD or the NHS having any level of control.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
whiterthanwhite said:
How did the collection go? Hope you raised plenty of cash and made Joe Public more aware of such a worthwhile charity.
Thanks for asking - from Rosie at Combat Stress ( apologies that this is a re-post)

Thank you so much for kindly supporting us at the Combat Stress London Street Collection on Saturday 6th May 2006.

Now that all of the counts from each Borough are in, I am pleased to let you know that the overall total raised on the day was £2,090.87 This could have not been achieved without the support of volunteers such as yourself, so thank you! Not only did we raise vital funds, we also generated a huge amount of much needed awareness for the Society. Well done!

The event went very smoothly, and luckily the weather held out for a good part of day (in most areas!) ...apologies to those who got a little damp!Being our first ever London street collection, this has proved to be a huge learning curve for Combat Stress. This is certainly something that we can build upon in the future, allowing us to broaden our volunteer community and develop our fundraising profile.

Congratulations to all of the teams for your efforts, and particularly to the winning team in Southwark who raised a fabulous £393.00 between them - well done Goatman, Blessed Baby Cakes (and Kitty), Poppy and Irish Doris.!

Full results from each Borough are as follows...

Borough -----------------Amount Collected £
Kingston----------------------------202.14
Richmond -------------------------205.04
Putney------------------------------126.97
Wimbledon-------------------------72.74
Sutton------------------------------46.60
Greenwich-------------------------72.51
Islington---------------------------227.58
Westminster-------------------------97.58
Kensington and Chelsea----------264.39
Fulham------------------------------105.54
Southwark-------------------------393.00
Bexley Heath-------------------------76.78

Additional Donations 200.00

I very much hope that you may be interested in supporting us at future events and I will keep you posted with any updates.

Once again THANK YOU to everyone involved, with a special thank you to the Volunteer Coordinators who successfully ran their teams in each area. Great job!

Rosie
Rosie Gibbons

ViroBono said:
l/cpl_blowhard said:

What an ill-informed and stupid post.

Not only does 'l/cpl_blowhard' clearly have no idea about the type of work undertaken by Combat Stress, he is also obviously not aware that they are seen as an exemplar in the field of traumatic stress treatment.

Yes, of course our veterans (not the best word, since some of them are still in their teens) deserve the best; but who would trust this government to provide it? By all means let the government pay for the best , but in many cases the actual service and facilities are better provided by charities like Combat Stress, Blesma, St Dunstan's, RBL, RAFA, RAFBF, OA and so on.

As an aside, I would much prefer MOD to pay Combat Stress to treat serving soldiers with traumatic stress problems rather than the Priory Group, but would not wish to see MOD or the NHS having any level of control.

now thats the, Best One Yet, exemplar in the field of traumatic stress, hahaha i remember the staff at holybush doing there 3 week nvq ffs, years ago when it was full of n.i vets and drunk ex-udr men / ex-ruc bouncing off the walls drunk as skunks , those where the days my friend happy times where had by all , prozac and scotch at the hollybush inn down the road hahaha

i think YOU should do your home work , i also have m8's who have visited audley house and tirrit house in surrey all these facilities are a disgrace and out of date SO DONT DARE TO PRESUME TO HAVE A GO AT ME , iv been there done it and got the BLOWHARD T-SHIRT :D :p