Combat Stress: Dannatt says Afghanistan worse for troops

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Combat Stress: General Sir Richard Dannatt says Afghanistan worse for troops than other wars
    Published: 2:13PM GMT 11 Mar 2010

In an exclusive interview for Telegraph TV General Sir Richard Dannatt, former head of the British Army, helped launch a major national campaign by forces’ charity Combat Stress to raise £30million. The money raised by the Enemy Within appeal will go towards a network of 16 teams across the UK to offer support to veterans who cannot cope with the horrors they have seen in battle.
    The money raised by the Enemy Within appeal will go towards a network of 16 teams across the UK to offer support to veterans who cannot cope with the horrors they have seen in battle.
    Combat Stress appeal: Prince of Wales warns of trauma in veterans of Afghanistan and Iraq
    Prince of Wales: With help the 'enemy within' can be defeated
    More
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newsvideo/7421145/Combat-Stress-General-Sir-Richard-Dannatt-says-Afghanistan-worse-for-troops-than-other-wars.html?

2. It is a worthy cause of course, more power to the general's elbow, but I felt surprised when I read that modern veterans "cannot cope with the horrors they have seen". I think perhaps I have been influenced by reports of violent computer games, and more blood and gore in films and on TV. I had the impression that the current generation was the hardest we had ever bred, healthy, well fed, aggressive, and immune to the visual aspect of wounds.

3. Seeing the real thing and then realising that oneself could be a similar casualty is very different from a no liability/risk computer game.

4. No its not, I just got the clerk to enter /::///GOD MODE ON into my P File,

Im now invincible,

Im just researching the cheat for unlimited Ammo now

5. Even though the casualties amongst front-line troops are probably comparable, Afghanistan and Iraq are very different conflicts.

I don't want to start a debate on which conflict was 'worse', but it would be interesting to know which conflict will produce the highest percentage of mental illnesses. It could teach us a lot.

6. I remember similar being said about my generation, being brought up on a diet of Betamax video nasties. But when it came to seeing real-life bodily damage, it was the country boys among us that coped best.

The modern generation has probably had the least exposure to blood and purple wobbly-bits than any other in history, prior to their military service. I can't help but think it'll have its price.

7. Im sure that the troops with PTSD, combat stress etc from conflicts such as the Falklands, Northern Ireland and Iraq agree with him whole heartedly!

8. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

& Cyprus (EOKA), Malaya, Aden etc, etc, etc.

9. Pity the governments doing fcuk all about it, mind you, they dont do responsibility.