Combat PTSD documentary

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Quickfire, Jan 27, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. We are making a serious documentary about combat-related PTSD in the Army, particularly in light of the many veterans who are leaving the Army having served in Iraq.

The film will look at what provisions are out there for ex-soldiers who leave the Army, what's out there for those suffering from PTSD, and why there are such high homeless rates amongst ex-servicemen. Serious film, serious subject.

Most importantly, we're hoping to talk to as many veterans as possible who are suffering from PTSD. If you feel able to talk about this, in confidence, please contact me, Melissa, on 0117 946 6838 or We've got a website at, so you can see we're legit.

Best, MB
  2. Ok,

Have just spoken to Melissa at length. She emphasises, that they wish to contact EX-servicemen only.

The programme she is making, will look very closely at how ex-servicemen are coping once they return to civilian life, and what provisions there are for them.

The issue of homelessness and imprisoned ex-servicemen and PTSD issues will also be covered as well.

The intention is not to blame MOD , as the programme makers are well aware that their burden of resposibility ends when you walk out of the front gate for the last time.

The programme will concentrate on existing support networks, and what can be done further to look after our veterans.

Interestingly enough, the researchers have looked at networks in other countries, Australia's in particular, stands out , as does the US Veterans administration.

I feel , as long as the programme does not morph into an axe grinding , then it should be supported by our Ex-Forces members.

I'm sure Melissa will return, to give you a better picture of what they are trying to achive.

3. PTP (you filthy politico)

Why only ex-servicemen (and women)?

There are plenty of serving people who are completely boing-boing.
  4. Indeed Calypso ,

However, an EX-Forces member won't get a hat-on-no-coffee interview for explaining on primetime TV that they are a little over stressed. :wink:
  5. Hmmm... These, I believe, are the people who did the "Dispatches" proggy about Deepcut.
  6. Good, PTP, many thanks for following this up.

A recent post in the long-running "PTSD" sticky made me think about, when I have time, posting some thoughts based on personal knowledge of what is actually available on a non-clinical basis in the world "outside". It's definitely not perfect but there is actually more available than many people realise, even in these days when so many public services seem reduced to call centres and ill-conceived "targets".

As well as on PTSD itself, have some (partly reassuring) thoughts about attitudes amongst trained volunteer caseworkers. Also the horror wrongly acquired by so many during Regular service, of ever being classified as a so-called "SSAFA case".
  7. There's also the issue (which has only really arisen over the last couple of years) of Reservists who, once demobilised, are largely out of the military system whether or not they stay in the TA etc.
  8. Totally agree crossed_axes, except it hasnt "only really arisen over the past couple of years"!
  9. The demise of this once critical area of Army Medical Services is a travesty.

Investors in people my ..............

This issue needs airing, but I'm not sure if those who did the "deepcut expose" are going to add much value to the debate???
  10. Anything which can highlight PTSD in ex-servicemen/women is good. It will hopefully open peoples eyes to what is happening and may highlight areas where investment is needed.
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Get down Victoria or Waterloo rail stations you'll find about 50%+ ex servicemen living in boxes wrapped in newspapers. Ask them a few questions.
  12. Hi,

Just repeating this from an original post in the PTSD bit of CA

Normal persec rules apply.

I am a researcher for the BBC's current affairs department working on a programme exploring the problems faced by servicemen and women leaving the military. We will be focusing on the issue of homelessness among ex-servicemen, and hope to shed light on the paths which lead to this fate. My own interest in this issue stems from a Newsnight special I worked on in November, which touched upon the same issues in the USA.

This program would aim to focus on what moves are currently being taken to ensure that troops returning from the Middle East over the next few years receive full care before, during and after their placements abroad to prevent PTSD and the social alienation many individuals feel upon return.

If you are interested in speaking to me in confidence over the phone, or can offer any advice on the best way to contact soldiers who are about to (or have recently left) the army and are experiencing problems I would love to hear from you.
    You can email me directly at

Many thanks,
  13. This is how the US (DOD) manage post OP welfare (both phyiscal and mental) of US servicemen.

14. While one can only applaud this initiative if it is indeed as represented, is there any reason at all for any member or ex-member of the Army to put any faith or trust at all in a journalist? Whatever the individual researcher might say or do, the programme will make whichever point it wants - which, based on experience to date, will be shoddy, dishonest, cheap and usually wholly inaccurate.
  15. Maybe Newsnight can give us some more information , or I can give them a bell later?