Combat Med Tech

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by RoflsaurusRex, Jan 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Up until recently I was dead set on a career in the RA, but with a Ma whinging I'm selling myself short it's got me thinking of learning a 'trade'.

I've read a fair few posts on the role of CMTs and there've been lots of conflicting comments.
    Some of the 'older' posters seem to think the skills you learn won't be transferrable to 'civvie street'. 90% of the time spent building tents and being the doctors and nurses minions. Rarely getting to put skills to the test.

Where as others say it depends on which regiment you're attached to. And it varies on experience and class.

I'd like to know the harsh realities of mundane day to day work in the barracks. Would I really be a dogs body?

Which regiments are best to aim for?

Out on operational tours, would I be stuck in a field hospital or out patrolling?
  2. You'll have plenty of oportunity to go out on tour. There will be periods of mundane activity, fiddling with tents ect, but there will be times when you are out on excercise. You will get loads of shit jobs being a Private but everyone has had to go through that. Its not all bad. On tour you'll either work at Bastion or (most likely) to a FOB or Patrol Base out patrolling.
  3. Whilst not being an expert on the day to day goings on in a med centre, I have nothing but the utmpost respect for the ones attatched to my lot, CMTs saved a few of my muckers. As for being stuck in a field hospital on ops, there's no shame in that mate, the work they do is outstanding.
    Sorry if it's not the answer you're looking for, just my two penny worth.
  4. The way thing are at the moment you will very most likely be out patrolling whether you like it or not. A very good trade and you will get some very interesting experiences, you will have some mundane shit to deal with too though. Its just one big roundabout!
  5. To be honest I think deep down I'm trying to put myself off being a medic.
    Although it all looks good on paper I really don't know if I could hack having a laugh and a joke with someone and the next day battle to save their legs or worse still, life. Does the training just take over and you find yourself emotionally detached?
    Maybe I've watched too many war films and read too many stories.
  6. Yep the training just kicks in and you do what you have to do.

CMT is a great and varied trade from Medical Centre, to Dressing Station to Med Sections to Field Hospital to RAP (Regimental Aid Post) to being on Patrol, CMT's do the lot, yes it can be mundane (I hacked it for 13 years so can't be all bad) and yes us old boys do like to whinge about the lack of civvy quals etc in our day, but from what I can gather it has changed and the opportunities for this are a lot better (this is your cue to jump in with your party line boll*cks Top_Soldier and give the lad the info he requires!!)

In barracks you turn the kit over to ensure it is good for deploying, and if that means tentage and painting boxes then thats what you do, all jobs have a mundane element.
  7. This is true, no military medic qualification is recognised in the civvi medical services with the exception of CMT1 for rig medics.
    Some employers like ex-military such as the Scottish Ambulance Service SORT teams.
  8. Less of the lad ;)
    All seems gravy to me so far.
    Another thing I've read is that on graduation of each class (you qualify as a class 2 after trade training) is accompanied with an increase in salary and responsibility.
    So would I still be on a privates salary or would I have a few pennies more being a class 2 medic? Not that it matters. But it would make painting boxes a bit more interesting..
    (I'd ask my recruiter but I feel like I'm annoying him)
  9. I did 24 years man and boy the best trade in the Army varied and interesting work some good some not, the good times out weigh the bad 100 to 1. The boys and girls are well respected through out the whole Armed Forces just look at the Honours and Awards lists to see the true standard you will have to live up to.
  10. My bold Stan - thank you for the steer but I am not sure that I'm known for the "party line"............... quite the reverse in fact, but, whatever floats your boat. The career is awsome, the work is hard (and mundane at times) and despite Stan's rough exterior..........I think he enjoyed it really :eek:)

I do...................even if age is catching up fast!!!
  11. Hi all,

iv been following this post and i must say youre all very helpful. I go for my first sit down at ARO on thursday for this job. cant wait. however im a bit lost when it comes to the regt attachments. is this a choice of mine or will i have to be put were im put?

thanks all keep safe
  12. From what I've gathered you can put down a regiment you want to serve with but if theres no gaps, you're put where you're needed.
    Read somewhere that you can join an infantry reg and then go on to do a rcmt course. Dunno if that's something worth you looking into.
  13. im a bit new to all the abbreviations. RCMT?
  14. Regimental combat medical technician. Could be wrong but it fits.
  15. T_S - Worked though didn't it? Apparently you reckon you know me, if you did you would know that I am the same all the way through and don't have an exterior to keep up.

Anyway back on thread, Yep I enjoyed my time all in all, I don't look on it with rose tinited glasses or owt and remember the bad times with the good but if I had to choose a trade in the AMS again then it would be CMT no question, as its more varied and the opportunities to go all over the place are excellent.

Reason I left was to get the chance at another career at 30 instead of 40 which fortunately for me has turned out great, but thats a decision all face after 12 years.

I would say go for it, can always change trades etc down the line if it aint for you.