Combat Life Saver

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Oct 24, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The CLS program was great...went through it in 1991 while stationed in Korea. Considering that all the medics were in HQ Btry and none detatched to the firing Btry it was a much need program.

Sticking each other with IV's was the highpoint of the training :D

2. Pay more attention in your ITD's guys and don't take the piss out out of your attached Medics............... 8O A clear head and an automatic, training induced reaction to events were what helped here. One final thing to remember; the medic ran OUTSIDE whilst everyone else was running inside 8O

3. And a great help they are too when they get themselves shot... :wink:

4. Point noted........ :lol: But it does win a shit load of VC's :wink:

5. [quote="spank_the_monkey
    And a great help they are too when they get themselves shot... :wink:[/quote]

Maybe you wouldn't be so critical if it was you bleeding out on the deck....I know I'd like to see a crazy medic heading in my direction.

6. It was in jest, however just because you would risk someone else life for yours doesn't mean we all would. A medic is no good to me, you or anyone else when there on the deck pissing with blood.

7. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

He's not much more use to wounded if he's sat in a cosy RAP drinking ki and waiting for his customers to come to him either !

:wink:

8. [quote="spank_the_monkeyIt was in jest, however just because you would risk someone else life for yours doesn't mean we all would. A medic is no good to me, you or anyone else when there on the deck pissing with blood.[/quote]

I have been on the deck, bleeding, when a naval medic emerged out of nowhere to patch me up. I was never so glad to see anyone. I suggest you would be, too. The guy was doing his job and I'm here now to be grateful he was.

9. IMHO everyone involved in the incident appears to have done what was expected of them or what they were trained to do....................Sometimes however no matter what you think you the urge both morally and personally to do something to help is overwhelming; especially in those first few confusing moments after a contact is initiated....wounded people mostly scream and shout for help.......so do their friends...you as a medic are DEMANDED to respond. Once you start to respond you are compelled to continue.........you go through Triage and find yourself outside of the normal cycle.......you are not allowed to directly return fire unless (as per current ROE in Iraq) you find yourself or your patient under immediate threat of death and so you are helpless to do anything less than what is now demanded of you by your colleagues and by the people who most desperately need your help.
    Ultimately once a medic is required he or she has to respond....to not do so would be viewed by some even despite the circumstances as cowardice.

10. Because you would know.

11. I would suggest not being on the deck, bleeding, in the first place, but shit happens.

End of the day, i wouldn't expect a medic to put his life at great risk to save mine, if he did however, fan-*******-tastic! :D

12. [quote="spank_the_monkeyI would suggest not being on the deck, bleeding, in the first place, but s*** happens.

End of the day, i wouldn't expect a medic to put his life at great risk to save mine, if he did however, fan-*-tastic! :D[/quote]

You've obviously never been in action, then. There tends not to be a great deal of choice when the shi*'s flying. Theories are fine. Reality's a sharper learning curve.

13. Obviously.

Tell you what, come back when you have the foggiest and we'll chat.

14. That doesn't even deserve a response.