Combat Ladies

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Mallinson recounts in Light Dragoons how 15th Light Dragoons (Hussars) or whatever they were at the time, during the Napoleonic wars (I think) had a woman serve. May have made sergeant, won medals. Did suffer battle injuries, but was never found out.

Left, married a serjeant (I think) in a Rifle regiment or possibly Green Howards, travelled with him and had a normal family.

A better soldier than Coleridge, who served in the 15th as Silas Tomkyn Comberbache, who wasn't a particular good soldier and spent much of his time tending to the sick.

Last edited:

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Shufti is more of a man than you, and she's pregnant!

(Terry Pratchett - Monstrous Regiment).

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
James Barry, a British military surgeon who rose to rank of Inspector General of Hospitals (about Brigadier level) was born Margaret Bulkley and lied about her gender to gain entry into university and then the Army.

Joined the British Army as a surgeon in 1813, retired (on health grounds rather than by choice) in 1859 having served all over the world.

Was only identifed as women after her death. At some point during her military service it would appear that she even had a child!

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
That is an Abomination Unto Nuggan and will cause conflicts with Borogravia's neighbours. Woman shall not "Kiss the Duchess" in order to enlist and join the fight against neighbouring Zlobenia.
For the non-Pratchettian reader, Monstrous Regiment is a fantasy novel by Sir Terry Pratchett, the 31st novel in his Discworld series. It takes its name from the anti-Catholic 16th century tract by John Knox, the full title of which is The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women.

I've certainly worked for some old women.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

That is an Abomination Unto Nuggan and will cause conflicts with Borogravia's neighbours. Woman shall not "Kiss the Duchess" in order to enlist and join the fight against neighbouring Zlobenia.
For the non-Pratchettian reader, Monstrous Regiment is a fantasy novel by Sir Terry Pratchett, the 31st novel in his Discworld series. It takes its name from the anti-Catholic 16th century tract by John Knox, the full title of which is The First Blast of the Trumpet Against the Monstrous Regiment of Women.

Duchess? Pah, I've served with a couple of Queens..

James Barry, a British military surgeon who rose to rank of Inspector General of Hospitals (about Brigadier level) was born Margaret Bulkley and lied about her gender to gain entry into university and then the Army.

Joined the British Army as a surgeon in 1813, retired (on health grounds rather than by choice) in 1859 having served all over the world.

Was only identifed as women after her death. At some point during her military service it would appear that she even had a child!
An interesting bit of Saffer history:
Barry also performed one of the first known successful Caesarean sections in which both mother and child survived; the child was christened James Barry Munnik in Barry's honour, and the name was passed down through the family, leading to Barry's name being borne by a later Prime Minister of South Africa, J. B. M. Hertzog.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Duchess? Pah, I've served with a couple of Queens..
According to Pratchett, "to kiss the Duchess" was much akin to our recruiting sergeants of old slipping a shilling in a fellow's drink so that he kissed the Queen's shilling. In Monstrous Regiment, recruits have to kiss a portrait of the deity known as the Duchess of Borogravia.

A better soldier than Coleridge, who served in the 15th as Tomkyn Silas Comberbache, who wasn't a particular good soldier and spent much of his time tending to the sick.
Coleridge was not an easy man to get along with, he regularly fell out with even close friends. I can't see him taking well to army life.

Latest Threads